MTB trails for teaching 6 year old?

jerd

Cannon Fodder
Hi,

I've got a kid who is pretty good at doing laps around Narembeen Lakes and other bike paths - but i'm looking at stepping it up a little bit and taking him out on some 'introductory' mtb trails -

So i'm looking for any suggestions for beginner MTB trails around Sydney - Northern Beaches area preferably but anywhere really.

Lady Carrington Drive in The Royal National Park is on my list - but any other suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey,
I've been mtb'ing with my boy (he's now 7) for a couple of years now. Here are my suggestions in no particular order.

The possum/bantry bay side trails (not Ghania!)
H2O trails at Westleigh - I reckon these are the best - flat, fun little trails. Green and light blue loops.
Golden Jubilee - my son like going there but I always found it a bit limited/boring.
OMV - a bit trickier, more climbing but fun.
We've started doing the lower part of mt narra from the first trail crossing. It's pretty easy but a bit of a climb and there's a few jumps.
Castle cove dirt jumps were OK to kill a couple of hours - not sure what state they are in.
Muppets loop from St Ives showground - again a bit of climbing and a bit harder.
Park near the Bulara St end of the Perimeter Trail and head off to the end of the Long trail look out - reasonably flat.
I believe there is also a short loop (like 1km) in Anembo Reserve also in Terrey Hills.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
h20 would be my pick. wylde is easy enough but a bit pedally for a kid, though they might enjoy the jumps track and see saw. BMX/4X track at Olympic park? obviously short runs but my 7 year old loves it

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
If you feel like a drive up the M1, Awaba is good for little ones.
there is now a dedicated kids/beginners trail right next to the carpark, and the kids loop a little bit higher up the hill has some really good stuff for rider progression.
I started taking my boys out there at about that age on their BMX's with coaster brakes!..it wasn't long before we upgraded to proper bikes with real brakes.
A few near misses and one boy hurtling down the side of the hill after he went wide on a corner and couldn't pull up, was enough for the Mrs to agree to upgrade their rig's.

this Photo is at Glenrock, but these are the bikes they moved up to from their BMX's..still has 20' wheels but disc brakes are a life saver.

jerd

Cannon Fodder
Hey,

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've recently bought a second hand Byk e450 8 speed MTB - it's a little bit on the large size for my kid (22inch wheels?!) but he is having great fun. The bigger wheels and gears means he can go much faster.

Cheers - I'm off for a ride!

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Hey,

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've recently bought a second hand Byk e450 8 speed MTB - it's a little bit on the large size for my kid (22inch wheels?!) but he is having great fun. The bigger wheels and gears means he can go much faster.

Cheers - I'm off for a ride!
I thought it was an electric bike going by the name. Pushy's sell those 22" bikes, but they don't stock tubes or tyres in that size. :oops:

T-Rex

Template denier
Hi,

I've got a kid who is pretty good at doing laps around Narembeen Lakes and other bike paths - but i'm looking at stepping it up a little bit and taking him out on some 'introductory' mtb trails -

So i'm looking for any suggestions for beginner MTB trails around Sydney - Northern Beaches area preferably but anywhere really.

Lady Carrington Drive in The Royal National Park is on my list - but any other suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
Adding to the above suggestions, the first 2-3km of the Deep Creek trail at the bottom of Mt Narra, coming in from the lagoon end. I believe it's full of fallen trees ATM, but they will get cleared out in the next couple of weeks. For a little kid it will get progressively more challenging the further upstream he rides, so it will be a good measure of his progression, to see how much further he can go each time he goes out.