Schwalbe Magic Mary / Hans Dampf combo in Super Gravity casings

SDA

Likes Dirt
I don't know about everyone else, but with all this social distancing I am spending a lot of time geeking out on different tyre choices.

One of the combo's I am contemplating is a 29" x 2.35" Magic Mary / Hans Dampf combo in Super Gravity casings.

Does anyone have any experience running this combo here in dry Australian conditions? All the reviews over in the UK rave about them, but they have a much higher rainfall over there.

I am currently running a Minion DHF MaxxGrip Exo / Minion DHR2 MaxxTerra Exo+ combo. Its a good combo, but.... is the grass greener?

Thanks

Last edited:

SDA

Likes Dirt
Supergravity casing on the front will change your life. No more front wheel squirm.
do it.
Are you running 2.35" or 2.6" wide? I have read the 2.35" Magic Mary in SG blows up small... whereas the Hans Dampf is fairly true to size

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
2.35. I’d use a 2.6 for lift assisted days but it’d be a dog trying to pedal that thing uphill or get up to speed on the flats.
I had both on my 26” bike and both measured true to size. The 2.35 was much larger than the equivalent maxxis 2.3.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
I used to run the MM front and HD rear, both in super gravity though now I run the MM up front and a Maxxis Minion SS DD casing and really like it...

Reactions: SDA

nexusfish

El Mariachi
I run that combo in the wet of in places like Derby where there is piles of loose deco gravel . I find the Magic Mary is only good on dirt it can hook up in. The knobs are tall and narrow and squirmy on hard surfaces. HD is a wicked rear tyre. though make sure its the new design woth the fatter side knobs as the older style ripped them off way before they tyre is worn.

Reactions: SDA

T-Rex

Template denier
I don't know about everyone else, but with all this social distancing I am spending a lot of time geeking out on different tyre choices.

One of the combo's I am contemplating is a 29" x 2.35" Magic Mary / Hans Dampf combo in Super Gravity casings.

Does anyone have any experience running this combo here in dry Australian conditions? All the reviews over in the UK rave about them, but they have a much higher rainfall over there.

I am currently running a Minion DHF MaxxGrip Exo / Minion DHR2 MaxxTerra Exo+ combo. Its a good combo, but.... is the grass greener?

Thanks
Schwalbe are awful..... in Aus.

Euros love them, they work great in euro conditions. In Aus you want Maxxis ie your current setup.

The above was told to me by a Frenchman living in Australia. My limited riding on Schwalbe (Im mostly Maxxis or Kenda), I'm inclined to agree, I didn't think they had anywhere near the ultimate grip of the DHF.

Actually, if you want to try something new, have a go on Kenda Nevigals.

jrewing

Eats Squid

Euros love them, they work great in euro conditions. In Aus you want Maxxis ie your current setup.

The above was told to me by a Frenchman living in Australia. My limited riding on Schwalbe (Im mostly Maxxis or Kenda), I'm inclined to agree, I didn't think they had anywhere near the ultimate grip of the DHF.

Jack Moir loved his Kendas. Not as much as Gwin loved his Kendas..........

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmm, Im Happy with my Scwwwwalbeeee's - I have a Hans Dampf to Run as a front with a Nobby Nic in Back - ( part worn i will agree )
But as present with a bit of lockdown and social distancing - the Rail Trail / Bike Path doesn't warrant a full spec tyre !

I can't fault the Nobby Nics -they have done all things required of a tyre - round black and generally hold air - they get a bit pissweak when 2/3 worn tho - sticks will puncture them ....

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Bullllllllshiiit. The magic mary is an incredible front tire for dry Australian conditions. Ive tried every type of minion and hr2 and the only Maxxis that comes close for front end confidence is the assegai.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I loved the Michelin Wild Enduro but couldnt get one quick so jumped on the Assegai which has been awesome too.

SDA

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys. Definitely looking at the Super Gravity combo. All the negatives sound like they're related to the snakeskin casing