What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Had a bit of a win today.... basically its new driveline time, I'm a big fan of my sram x01 derailleur, but not a fan of how quick my GX cassette wore out or the price tag of a new x01 cassette. Step in Shimano 12Speed XT. After asking some questions at the LBS and a few emails to Giant and DTswiss to confirm compatability I was told it would not work by both of them. Giant said the freehub wouldnt fit my hub and DTswiss said the Shimano cassette would clash with my OEM hub/spokes....My bike has giant branded DT-made hubs which are slightly different to a normal DT350 or 360. Problem is I already bought the cassette, chain and chainring on sale, so I was now looking at a new hub which would have blown my bargain budget out of the water...
I couldnt see why it wouldnt work, so took a gamble and ordered a freehub body... after an agonising 4 week wait coming from the US in the middle of the Corona mess it finally turned up today, and low and behold it all fits. EAD

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Spent the day filing off the remaining v-brake bosses and cable guides. Had a few parts arrive during the week and was really excited to finally finishing off a few bits that I've always wanted to tweak on it.

Then a crack on one of the stays caught my eye. Obviously yesterday's downhill runs were a bit much for the old girl.

As much as I'd like to get it fixed, I really don't have the spare cash to be able to justify sinking more money into such an old frame.

At least the final ride was a good one after 23.5 years.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Spent the day filing off the remaining v-brake bosses and cable guides. Had a few parts arrive during the week and was really excited to finally finishing off a few bits that I've always wanted to tweak on it.

Then a crack on one of the stays caught my eye. Obviously yesterday's downhill runs were a bit much for the old girl.

As much as I'd like to get it fixed, I really don't have the spare cash to be able to justify sinking more money into such an old frame.

At least the final ride was a good one after 23.5 years.

View attachment 362986
Mate, kudos to you for keeping it running for this long! Sad to hear it's reached end-of-life, but will make great wall art in the garage and you'll always look at it with a smile when you think about all the places it's taken you!

Any thoughts on where to (ie: what bike's next) from here?

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Mate, kudos to you for keeping it running for this long! Sad to hear it's reached end-of-life, but will make great wall art in the garage and you'll always look at it with a smile when you think about all the places it's taken you!

Any thoughts on where to (ie: what bike's next) from here?
If my lotto numbers come in tonight, a Foes has always been the dream, although a custom steel single pivot or new Banshee Spitfire would be tempting.

Reality with 3 kids is either an insanely lucky verge find or start looking for a second hand frame I can reuse most of my parts on.

A 27.5 Anthem frame would probably be ideal if I come across one, but a beggar can't be a chooser.

Last edited:

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
If my lotto numbers come in tonight, a Foes has always been the dream, although a custom steel single pivot or new Banshee Spitfire would be tempting.

Reality with 3 kids is either an insanely lucky verge find or start looking for a second hand frame I can reuse most of my parts on.

A 27.5 Anthem frame would probably be ideal if I come across one, but a beggar can't be a chooser.
just saw a single pivot Foes on ebay..do it!
don't feel too bad about the giant, that was a known problem, I broke mine 2 races into a season..Hard to explain to the LBS that it hadn't been raced

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thanks for the replies.

MTBdirect telling me they are stickers, I thought they were laser etched. Find out next week I guess....hoping for stickers
Definitely not stickers, I didn't bother answering because others did with the right answer, I have white and grey decals in two separate rims.