Skewing the olive

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
What ya wanna do, is put your spanner in the nut that compresses the olive.
Then, grab a hammer.
THEN belt that spanner around until the olive is compressed. Use the ring end, it won’t slip.

Go

Likes Dirt
Did the lever come with a plug and fluid in it? Silly question but did you check there's not an olive in already?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

stirk

Burner
Did the lever come with a plug and fluid in it? Silly question but did you check there's not an olive in already?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
There is no such thing as a silly question, just a silly person seeking an answer.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I went better again and just took it off 3 weeks ago. I'm getting pretty good at riding with only a rear brake.
Can we have a zoom meeting to help get this fixed?

Alcohol will be mandatory. Clothes optional
I see you're getting your energy back Link?
I will be so disappointed if this doesn't end up in the confessions thread.
There's still pllllleeeeennnnttttyyyy of time yet...

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Check that the bore is clear and that you haven't cross threaded it. Something is causing the olive to get cocked. Could also be that when you pressed the barb in it has scruched up the hose inner and that is now deforming the hose end. This can happen if the barb is too big for the brake hose.

Cut it off and start again from scratch. Flare the hose inner a bit before pressing the barb in.

DMan

Check that the bore is clear and that you haven't cross threaded it. Something is causing the olive to get cocked. Could also be that when you pressed the barb in it has scruched up the hose inner and that is now deforming the hose end. This can happen if the barb is too big for the brake hose.

Cut it off and start again from scratch. Flare the hose inner a bit before pressing the barb in.
I'll give it one more shot. Each time I've tried I've cut the hose and used a new kit. The bolt isn't threaded as I tighten it it by hand until it bites on the olive. And the barb seems to slide in, with pressure, right to the hose face. It looks straight in the photo but the barb must be slightly crooked hence the munted olive.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I'll give it one more shot. Each time I've tried I've cut the hose and used a new kit. The bolt isn't threaded as I tighten it it by hand until it bites on the olive. And the barb seems to slide in, with pressure, right to the hose face. It looks straight in the photo but the barb must be slightly crooked hence the munted olive.
Is this brand new? Have you ever had a hose connected to this lever? If everything else is fine I'm wondering if there isn't something going on with the bore.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Barb doesn’t look straight in the pic.
It looks straight enough honestly. I've never really taken much care when doing this and it has worked every time so something funny is going on. I'm wondering if the bore isn't machined on a bit of an angle so when the nut threads in it skews the hose and olive. Don't even know if that's possible.

DMan

It looks straight enough honestly. I've never really taken much care when doing this and it has worked every time so something funny is going on. I'm wondering if the bore isn't machined on a bit of an angle so when the nut threads in it skews the hose and olive. Don't even know if that's possible.
That's why I sent the first one back. This is supposed to be a new lever. I'm really hoping they didn't "refurbish" it and just send it back to me though. To me the barb looks pretty straight and the left was fucking easy to do so why is the right so finicky! Sunday was my 4th cutting of the hose and fresh barb kit FFS....