What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
went to Glenrock for a hit up of the jumps.... too many kids, line was longer than the TP isle at Coles.
had a couple of runs down seismick and then came home.
found out I had been riding all that time with a loose stem, fun times!..but can confirm that the NS is now officially Fun, will go great when I finally get the pump track finished

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
She's still a beginner so no real urgency.
I stand by my recommendation to have one. It has been a make or break item on bikes for a few of my lady friends, a total game changer in fact. And they just rode around town. So don't give up.

went to Glenrock for a hit up of the jumps.... too many kids, line was longer than the TP isle at Coles.
had a couple of runs down seismick and then came home.
found out I had been riding all that time with a loose stem, fun times!..but can confirm that the NS is now officially Fun, will go great when I finally get the pump track finished
The place is filthy with them at the moment. Riding those dirt lumps has become painful. The last one and return berm were grim with mud too. I have been hitting the big ones down the bottom a bit, not as easy to do tricks on though with the higher speed required. Plus also often full of people standing in blind spots blocking the trail.

I fixed a berm and a jump.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I stand by my recommendation to have one. It has been a make or break item on bikes for a few of my lady friends, a total game changer in fact. And they just rode around town. So don't give up.
Oh I’m definitely keen. I have an internally routed Transfer that would fit, so I might need to investigate further. The internal routing has some helpful cable inner things in the frame to assist, but I’m worried if I pull the front d one out I’ll never get it back...

External routed will look shitty and she won’t like it.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Decided this would be a good day to hit Lysterfield, seeing as it might be the last good weather we have in a while.

So did literally everyone else in the greater Melbourne area. Couldn't even get into the car park. I was thinking I might have to take a number and wait to get onto the trails, but they weren't too bad.

moorey

call me Mia
Decided this would be a good day to hit Lysterfield, seeing as it might be the last good weather we have in a while.

So did literally everyone else in the greater Melbourne area. Couldn't even get into the car park. I was thinking I might have to take a number and wait to get onto the trails, but they weren't too bad.
Sounds like Red Hill yesterday. 1000 cars with bike racks, but incredibly saw very few people up on the hill.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Sounds like Red Hill yesterday. 1000 cars with bike racks, but incredibly saw very few people up on the hill.
Similar story in Silvan. Went out early, only saw ~5 people in 24km of riding, got back to the car and it was like a music festival there were so many cars parked everywhere. Lift restrictions and deliver primo weather, it’s going to happen.

slowmick

38-39"
Went for a pedal early this morning among the throng of newly released people. One tree hill was a circus. On my way up Belview Terrace I worked my way through a group of 23 people walking in lines of 2, 3 and 4 across the trail about 2 m apart. I was hoping to hang off the back but they just kept getting slower as the track went on an i was having trouble moving fast enough to stay on and i was on the clock. (Had to be home before my daughter woke up). There were people on every trail this morning. Can't imagine what the thousand steps were like.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
She's still a beginner so no real urgency.

First ride on dirt for Mrs Tubbsy, and she enjoyed it which is great.
I have to agree with PP, having a dropper post totally transformed my Wife’s riding. She wasn’t a beginner, as it was her fourth mtb that had a dropper, but straight away she got way braver and she could ride trails that she used to walk. To be fair though, that bike had more travel and was slacker too, but I still think the dropper was pivotal.

Internal/External, I am sure that she has no idea or cares, she just wants the button to be easy to press to get the seat down or up.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Internal/External, I am sure that she has no idea or cares, she just wants the button to be easy to press to get the seat down or up.
I can't find much online about the internal routing.

If the front d's routing goes loosely into the down tube then I'm good to go. If it goes through a channel then not so easy. The ports into the frame are relatively generous, but then there's a tighter opening a little further in that I can't quite see beyond. Theres currently a guiding piece in there to feed a cable through to help you thread housings the way they intended. I've left it in for now; do I risk removing it to see if it's all open inside? I probably should...

She will notice and dislike an external dropper I think; she even complained about the cable spaghetti around my handlebars and said "can you not make my bike look like that"

One of these days I'll take the time to trim everything neatly, one of these days...

TLDR, I'm really not a fan of external droppers and she doesn't even know droppers exist... yet.

Last edited:

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I was so put off by my experience riding Lysterfield yesterday, I stayed home today and washed all the bikes.
Glad your ride was better, the weather was magic.