Whats the best beer you've had & why?

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I like beer but I just don't get what the fuck is going on at the moment. What is wrong with making beer that tastes like beer. A friend dropped in a couple of wierd things that the people that made them called beer. Who the fuck thinks adding off fruit to beer is a good thing? I had a small mouthfull of Stomping Ground passionfruit smash sour beer. Hands down the worst beer I've had. I could not drink it and had to have a Coopers Red to get rid of the taste and I was at least half way through before my palate was even partially cleansed.
Then I cracked an Electric Dry Hopped Acid Test from a brewery in NZ called Garage Project. Fucking passionfruit again but this time from the hops. Not as bad as the first but still fucking horrible.
I copped another one down in Kurrumburra at the local brewery down there just before we got locked in. The called it a session IPA. It was fruity and floral, not bitter at all and had zilch body which they said was deliberate to make it more refreshing. Make whatever you like but don't call it an IPA unless it is.
In 3 months I've had the three most horrid beers of my life.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
There's still a metric craptonne of beers that taste like beer. Problem is, most are shit. There's plenty of crap craft brews too, but a lot of technical faults can be masked with enough hops. So you don't notice as much.

stirk

Burner
@Freediver Reinheitsgebot is a good thing.

However some styles need some fruit or some lacto but it should be secondary to all the normal beer ingredients. I agree some breweries are going bonkers trying to out do each other with marshmallow chocolate strawberry cream pineapple coffee with cheese burger stouts and I just steer clear of those.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Dessert the other night was a Pirate Life "Imperial Breakfast Stout". Now I'm not sure how one defines a "breakfast" stout, but a 500ml, 11% behemoth wouldn't be an optimal setup for a functional day...... Fucking delicious brew though! :D
Sounds darn good. I guess it is always breakfast in some part of the world.

Pirates are like rock stars where it is acceptable to have beer before high noon. Regular plebs just can't do this without looking like they have a drinking problem.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Dessert the other night was a Pirate Life "Imperial Breakfast Stout". Now I'm not sure how one defines a "breakfast" stout, but a 500ml, 11% behemoth wouldn't be an optimal setup for a functional day...... Fucking delicious brew though! :D
Are there oats or something in the beer?

I definitely couldn't drink one of those. I struggle with low ABV beers at the best of times.

Having said that, I had a sip of La Sirene Praline recently and it was lovely.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I can't recall if it had oats in it or not... Squished the can so that means I'll have to get another if you want me to suss out more details.... (gee, that'll be a tough gig)
Similarly impressive: Hargraves Hill Russian Imperial Stout.... A shade over 11% ABV, thick and syrupy, and so thick and dark a high-power bike light doesn't shine through! Perfection!! :D

Petero

Likes Dirt
If I get it right, $21 for 500ml? Are you a dentist to afford that?

I have had quite a few craft brews and some limited editions but not that expensive.
I couldn't justify having more than one for that reason, and probably wouldn't again unless it was special occasion. It was on tap at a bar ($22.50) so figured why not, I don't get out that much these days.. They had an american IPA for $24 for 500ml too...

Brow

Big Block
I couldn't justify having more than one for that reason, and probably wouldn't again unless it was special occasion. It was on tap at a bar ($22.50) so figured why not, I don't get out that much these days.. They had an american IPA for $24 for 500ml too...
Wow, I am surprised something that premium is on Tap. Sounds like I gotta get out more, or maybe not if it is going to get really expensive. Almost every beer I have had and then found on tap tastes better on tap in a cold glass.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
On the bucket list is Oktoberfest..... could be life ending

My most memorable Hoegarrden experience was a table keg in Singapore about a decade ago, just two of us drinking till 3am next to a pond on some gardens at a cafe/bar. I slept on a park bench on Orchard Road till sunrise then stumbled into my conference still loaded.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
On the bucket list is Oktoberfest..... could be life ending

My most memorable Hoegarrden experience was a table keg in Singapore about a decade ago, just two of us drinking till 3am next to a pond on some gardens at a cafe/bar. I slept on a park bench on Orchard Road till sunrise then stumbled into my conference still loaded.
I bet that was the last time you were booked as the keynote speaker.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

ausdb

Being who he is
I can't recall if it had oats in it or not... Squished the can so that means I'll have to get another if you want me to suss out more details.... (gee, that'll be a tough gig)
Similarly impressive: Hargraves Hill Russian Imperial Stout.... A shade over 11% ABV, thick and syrupy, and so thick and dark a high-power bike light doesn't shine through! Perfection!! :D
Not sure if you get any west aussie beers over there but if your into your RIS's try to look out for the following from the West:
Feral Boris
Beerfarm Western Czar and Eastern Czar
Cheeky Monkey Silverback
All great drinking brews