Brake choice...cura 4, dominion, quadiem gpsec

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Keen to try out a new brakeset.

Have been on hope v4s for ages and love them but just want to try out something different.

Not interested in any of the sram or Shimano offerings. I reckon I would destroy the plastic magura levers.

Anyone had any experience with any of these three brakesets?

• Formula cura 4
  • Hayes dominion
  • TRP quadiem gpsec

I actually ordered the cura 4s from Starbike but unsure if they will ship to Australia at the moment and haven't received a dispatch email as of yet.

So naturally second guessing my decision.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Got the cura 4s on my AM bike with 180 rotors. Probably a bit overkill. But they're nice (and gold).
I like them. Coming from shimano's on/off feel to these was a bit weird at first, but I like the modulation now. I can actually father the brakes.
Never ridden hopes, so don't know the difference there.
I wanted to keep to mineral oil, so for me the upgrade was a toss up between magura and curas.
edit: forgot to add, the reach was pretty far out from the box. I had to wind mine in a lot.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I've had Hope E4's, running V4's currently (perfectly bled, fresh pads, etc...). Cura 4's have way more initial bite. They don't throw the pads into the rotor quite as hard and fast as Shimano, but are still significantly more aggressive than the way Hopes feel. I run a 203mm front rotor with my Hopes, and Cura 4's with 180mm still had easily more power.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The TRP's get a really solid vote from me.
Got them on both my bikes, and replaced MT8's for them on one of my bikes as well.
Fit and forget, great control and power on them, lovely big solid levers that don't flop about, very easy to bleed and service and have common parts with Saint offerings so quality brake pads are readily available at a pinch of what some others charge.

I haven't checked how they are now, but originally there was only a cosmetic difference between the Quadiem and the Quadiem G-Spec (polished silver levers). As far as I know, that is still the only difference on the Quadiems, in which case, you're better off value for money getting the straight Quadiem.
Way to vain to not go the polished for my raw frame! Are there some pads that give more power? What I seem to have dug up is that these don't have a lot of power, that puts me off a little.

How's the lever feel? Solid like Shimano?

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got the cura 4s on my AM bike with 180 rotors. Probably a bit overkill. But they're nice (and gold).
I like them. Coming from shimano's on/off feel to these was a bit weird at first, but I like the modulation now. I can actually father the brakes.
Never ridden hopes, so don't know the difference there.
I wanted to keep to mineral oil, so for me the upgrade was a toss up between magura and curas.
edit: forgot to add, the reach was pretty far out from the box. I had to wind mine in a lot.
Yeah mineral oil is a big selling point, that and they seem to be very powerful.

The lever feel is what I am starting to worry about. I do like my brakes to feel solid initially

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've had Hope E4's, running V4's currently (perfectly bled, fresh pads, etc...). Cura 4's have way more initial bite. They don't throw the pads into the rotor quite as hard and fast as Shimano, but are still significantly more aggressive than the way Hopes feel. I run a 203mm front rotor with my Hopes, and Cura 4's with 180mm still had easily more power.
Sweet! I like the initial bite to come on strong just not as extreme as Shimano.

The idea of more power is appealling.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Way to vain to not go the polished for my raw frame! Are there some pads that give more power? What I seem to have dug up is that these don't have a lot of power, that puts me off a little.

How's the lever feel? Solid like Shimano?

I've got the Quadiems as well. They are very solidly contructed brakes, way better then my M8020s and maybe even better then my Saint m810s which are beasts.

The stock TRP pads are terrible. I've dropped in Trickstuff power+ pads and they are very good. I haven't tried the Uberbike racematrix pads in the same brakes yet but they would be a good choice also.

The bleeding is a lot easier than Shimano brakes as well. I use the Clarks bleed kit with 2 syringes and just pump oil back,and forth to get the bubbles out.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I mostly use Formulas. i like the modulation .
Shimanos are super reliable and good quality but a bit on or off.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I actually ordered the cura 4s from Starbike but unsure if they will ship to Australia at the moment and haven't received a dispatch email as of yet.
If they do cancel your order, we should talk. I have a set of Cura 4's I could sell. They're overkill for me given I'm pretty much just a trail rider. I have a bunch of spares too and a bleed kit too...

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Ridden oddjobs quadiums.

I prefer my hopes.

You’re onto a good thing @the drizzle, why change for changes sake?

May aswell buy a new bikes.

TL;DR, NEW BIKE TIME!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Ridden oddjobs quadiums.

I prefer my hopes.

You’re onto a good thing @the drizzle, why change for changes sake?

May aswell buy a new bikes.

TL;DR, NEW BIKE TIME!
Shutup Spongebrake Squarepants.

Tell them about the time you rode the Pole with the Saint m810 levers, 6 pot Navigator calipers, Goodridge lines and Goodridge sintered pads. Just in case you're wondering, they are the best brakes ever mounted to a mountainbike and are the very definition of unobtainable. Guess what he said....

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale

Tell them about the time you rode the Pole with the Saint m810 levers, 6 pot Navigator calipers, Goodridge lines and Goodridge sintered pads. Just in case you're wondering, they are the best brakes ever mounted to a mountainbike and are the very definition of unobtainable. Guess what he said....

New bike time?

Jpez

Down on the left!
If they do cancel your order, we should talk. I have a set of Cura 4's I could sell. They're overkill for me given I'm pretty much just a trail rider. I have a bunch of spares too and a bleed kit too...
I might be pretty interested if Drizzle isn’t

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.

ahaha!
“These are nice but I prefer my hopes”

probably didn’t help it was on black hawk down. I don’t brake on that run.
They do have a nice short lever throw. It threw me at the bottom how grabby they are.

hope lever feels nicer in the hand.
My brakes aren’t spongey, it’s called modulation.

And I’m honestly still surprised you haven’t bought that nicolai.