Bargain buys thread

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Remember back in the day when you could import XT for these numbers?

View attachment 363303

That's MTBDirect for Deore.
I wonder if we are getting more quality now in lower level components that the price is still relative, minus the wank factor of running xt or xtr, or is this a true price increase.

I do miss being able to open 9 speed quick links with my hands so until we get this technology back I am not sold on 12 speed :p

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Remember back in the day when you could import XT for these numbers?
I still remember fondly the days of 9 speed XT cassettes for under $50 each that weighed half of what a current 12 speed cassette and lasted twice as long because your triple on the front meant you didn't need to continuously cross chain the crap out of your drivetrain. I think in around 100,000km offroad I wore out three big rings, 10-12 middle rings and 4 (maybe 5) granny rings and 20 x $40 KMC x10SL chains. Price per km was a lot cheaper back then.

moorey

call me Mia
I still remember fondly the days of 9 speed XT cassettes for under $50 each that weighed half of what a current 12 speed cassette and lasted twice as long because your triple on the front meant you didn't need to continuously cross chain the crap out of your drivetrain. I think in around 100,000km offroad I wore out three big rings, 10-12 middle rings and 4 (maybe 5) granny rings and 20 x $40 KMC x10SL chains. Price per km was a lot cheaper back then.
You’re just crying out for an ‘ok boomer’.