Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ pretty much how I started cold brewing for myself. Wake up and need something to get out the door and don't have time for the espresso machine. Get to work and have espresso til I'm pissing kidney stones.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have just bedded down some cold brew with oak chips from a rum barrel. The chips smelled great, sweet and rummy. The cold brew was pretty tasty. Will check in on these in a week or two and see how it progresses. This is in lieu of buying a small oak barrel. When he good times return I will be moving on to that experiment
...and the time arrived! I filtered the project off this morning before work. It was delicious. I will do this again but try a few different tweaks, such as ratio of coffee to chips and duration of infusion.

Longer version:
The whole hasn't turned out as I was expecting. Don't get me wrong I am happy with the outcome it is just different. The aroma and flavour seem to be less complex that the cold brew was before the infusion. But in saying that they are now more pronounced.

Aromaticaly it starts off with a nice red cherry and slight rum. After it has sat for a few minutes that develops into a chocolate and rum aroma. This then gives way to a grain/malt (there was a little hint of aroma similar to the Jameson stout cask in there) cocoa/chocolate, with a growing rum presence. Eventually a hint of toffee emerged. I wasn't patient enough to leave it past that and drank the last of it.

Flavour wise; in the early stages it was a singular dark chocolate flavour. Dry high cacao % type chocolate. But after letting it rest this gave way to rum + coffee with mild acidity and a very gentle vanilla hint on the finish. That didn't really change much over the duration, about 20 minutes. The rum and vanilla grew a tiny bit stronger.

In all the coffee was really enjoyable, but it needs some tweaking to make it worthwhile. I really like the way my cold brew tastes in standard form. I'm currently drinking about 500ml a day. This was definitely delicious and fun but...not that much more delicious that I'd want to be doing it all the time. The gear I had in Japan was the sort of trip dreams are made of. My quest continues.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
I've had the aeropress back out prepping for when we can go camping again. I like a big ol' cup so trying to get good at bigger batches. Pretty much just try to a two cup brew. Anyone got any tricks? Prefer standard or inverted?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Ok been avoiding a machine for a long time but with work sayingwe'll be ome for at least another 3 months, and then transition to 2-3 days at home, it's time to invest in a machine.

I'm a bit of a coffee snob but I can order my coffee with just one word - latte. I kind of get how it works and all that but my home setup consisting of hot filter, turkish and french press is killing me now. I need frothy milk.

Recommendations for a decent budget coffee machine! Criteria:
  • Cheap is better
  • Don't need a grinding function
  • Consistency is important but not necessarily control ability

So far I've narrowed it down to:
-Breville duo temp pro $329
-Breville infuser $480
-Breville bambino $450
- Sunbeam mini barista $270
(Took the delonghi and smeg out of the equation).

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
If you've got a decent grinder, then those will give you espresso coffee and frothy milk. Of course, more $$ can get better machines that are less consumer grade, but step in quality won't match $$. I'm a snob too, but a realistic one.
Downside of these thermoblock design machines is that steam quality never matches that of a proper boiler, and can take a few seconds to get going. I think the infuser has a PID for temp control, so might get you some consistency. But ahven't used these particular models myself.

EZZA 84

Likes Bikes
Ok been avoiding a machine for a long time but with work sayingwe'll be ome for at least another 3 months, and then transition to 2-3 days at home, it's time to invest in a machine.

I'm a bit of a coffee snob but I can order my coffee with just one word - latte. I kind of get how it works and all that but my home setup consisting of hot filter, turkish and french press is killing me now. I need frothy milk.

• Cheap is better
-Breville infuser $480
-Breville bambino $450
You're pretty close to these guys and they know their coffee https://espressofix.com.au/product-category/gaggia/
We bought an ex demo Saeco Via Venezia ($350ish) from there about 6 years ago and have been really happy with it.
Great place to buy good freshly roasted beans from and they'll happily grind them for you too.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Downside of these thermoblock design machines is that steam quality never matches that of a proper boiler
I think one or more of the brevilles have a 'thermo coil'?

Why are things so hard lol. I want a toyota/giant of the coffee machine world lol.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

• Cheap is better

-Breville infuser $480
-Breville bambino $450
Secondhand Silvia, Gaggia, or Lelit.
https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/shop/ac/coffee-machines/?pr=0-1000&rf=pr
The consumer thermoblock machines are false economy, they are pretty fragile and you will end up upgrading anyway. If you end up getting a pid, don't bother getting one with steam control.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
We've got a Sunbeam Minibarista. Missus is happy with it and I can operate it so it's pretty idiot proof for the most part.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
We've got a Sunbeam Minibarista. Missus is happy with it and I can operate it so it's pretty idiot proof for the most part.
I think that the Sunbeam are good for the money, we have the Barista Max and I can't really fault it...I have the Mrs hooked now, so when it does shit its self, I will try to upgrade to something like a rancillo or saeco etc!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

• Cheap is better

- Breville infuser $480
-Breville bambino $450
From your list get the most expensive Breville. Get it from a reputable retailer just in case you have a problem. Also get a good grinder and tamp. These 2 items will help you immensely in making good coffee, even from a shot machine.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Also get a good grinder and tamp. These 2 items will help you immensely in making good coffee, even from a shot machine.
+1. A good quality single boiler is a thing of beauty, a good quality grinder even more so. The Breville smart grinder is a good entry level and the Sette 270 would be the next step up. Even better would be a secondhand commercial single doser like a Compak A8.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Calvin is a Sunbeam EM7000 out of the question at $650? Second hand possibly?

I’ve lived with a Sunbeam EM7000 and now a EM6910 (sweet fuck all difference, temperature sensor for milk temp on frother ) for the best part of a decade and think they are awesome. I can make a latte at home as good as the local shops and I’m in barista fucking central in Northcote.

Sunbeams are a thermoblock design. The thermoblock is a heater coil running around a block of metal (cooper or aluminium, sorry no carbon options at this price point) with the water running next to it. Has a microprocessor to control temperature (aka PID). Steam isn’t as vicious as a boiler (as it sounds, a tank of water with a heater coil to get it to the desired temp), but you sure can live with a thermoblocks steam, you turn the steam on while the milk jug isn’t in place, get a few seconds of steam flowing, turn off then jug in place.

A conical burr grinder is a must. Pre ground beans are blaaah. Cheaper grinders need cleaning more often, and the first grinds that come out of a morning are old that have not yet fallen out of the machine, press your finger on the sensor button and waste a table spoon of grinds before loading up your basket with fresh grinds.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Also get a good grinder and tamp.
A conical burr grinder is a must.
Relax guys, I did say I was a snob. All sorted with the grinder. - mortar and pestle are still going strong :p. Nah i got a nice hand me down from a real coffee snob mate of mine. He has more tattoos than most folks making my coffee in the morning. Problem is I am too afraind to tell him I will likely end up with a breville or sunbeam haha!

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say

• Cheap is better

-Breville infuser $480
-Breville bambino $450
We run the sunbeam minibarista...paid $199 for it. We also use a conical burr grinder...and I think this is why we have only gone through two other similarly affordable manual machines since 2003. First one was a Breville Cafe Roma, second one was a Sunbeam and now this one (which has been the best so far, taste wise). Bear in mind...we don't froth the milk...

As much as I'd like a sexed up Italian coffee machine...we already own an Italian ride on mower and, whilst it cuts grass spectacularly well, it is temperamental, overbuilt and ergonomically hilarious...not keen on having its equivalent in the kitchen!!

ausdb

Being who he is
Consistency is important but not necessarily control ability
Start lurking on coffeesnobs and pick up something used or not so très cool anymore. If milk is your thing look for a heat exchanger machine rather than a single boiler like a Silvia, would be better (sorry to the Silvia lovers I've never been a fan of them myself drip tray is pathetic, temp surfing and waiting to be able to steam). If you can push the budget a bit look a Breville dual boiler that hasn't been abused.

If you can fix a bike and understand a bit about electricity and want a project (probably not at the moment you just need coffee!) these are built like tanks and make a good shot and can be not too hard to fix
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bon...zzera-coffee-machine-made-in-italy/1248716894

Last edited: