Choosing the correct saddle bum ouchy

nathanm

Eats Squid
I did 15 kays on the old stumpy on the weekend, half way along I jumped off for a wee and was given a stark reminder of why you need to have a good saddle as my junk was completely numb.
There's another saddle thread kicking round that recommended the CRC branded prime enduro saddle which I just bought and is fast becoming my favourite. I actually don't mind the free "nukeproof" one i got with the hardtail, though it is just a rebranded Velo by the looks.
What the weekend reminded my of, most of all, is to have the seat angle correct. For so many years I used to ride with the nose slightly up which puts too much pressure on the meat and 2 veg. Nowadays I make sure all my saddles are flat enough to move pressure to the rear, without having them tilted so far that you're actually holding yourself up/back with the bars.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Better in green
Everything is better in green.

SMP's look weird but once you get used to it and find the sweet spot then they are hard not to love. They really thought out this whole SMP thing pretty well. The bigger problem with saddles is plonking down what can be a big chunk of change on something you 'hope' will work.

If anyone goes down the SMP path then this is worth a quick read.
https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/09/all-about-smps/
They come in number of slightly varying widths, lengths and leather or vinyl covers. Picking the right one I think is half the battle.

I went with the Well which was renamed from the Hell where you can bet an Italian company in a catholic stronghold weren't too comfortable calling a saddle after the underworld. The vinyl ones are cheaper and some claim can be more comfy that the leather ones.
https://www.sellesmp.com/en/well.html

sbm

Likes Bikes
Numb junk?

SQLab

SQLab

SQLab

$Au 143 for their base model, and looks and functions like a normal saddle. Sure, try and find the piece of modern art that exactly contours your area at twice the price with the roadie tax...or just drop the front bit out of the way!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I have a skinny ass, there's no beef on it at all... been described as an empty school bag in the past.

Had a running battle for 9-10 years since I started doing big Kms.

#1 go and get your sit bones measured. That is the basis for any buy.

You might find a great saddle for everyday use, but it might not be good for 8hrs day after day.

Good Knicks are paramount, personally I ride Assos, I've spent a shit load of cash on different Knicks, long distance or long hours always favour Assos.

My regular riding saddle is a 155mm Spech Romin, my ride 8hrs a day for 2 weeks saddle is a Selle Anatomica, its a slung piece of leather between 2 supports, there's nothing better for your ass... but its not the kind of saddle you would rock up with for a MTB ride. 100% for a bike packing trip or a race across the Simpson Desert... not so enduro cool.

moorey

call me Mia
Typical Rotorburn .
It starts as a serious studious discussion about bike seats and within 3 pages it degenerates into dick, poo,bum or fart jokes lead by Moorey.
Never mentioned dicks....aside from it getting numb due to seat angle.
Never mentioned poo that I recall.
Never mentioned farts either.

I did recommend numerous saddles that work for me and reasons why some hadn’t. I did get off track a few times. You know there’s serious bloke forums for serious blokes out there? Maybe try one?

Time for you to click the ‘ignore’ button, old bean. I won’t be offended. It’s a handy tool to help cope with unwanted forum traffic. On. Positive note, your spelling and grammar were fine.

Edit: Offending bum bruise removed

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Oh no that's this.
@Ackland does 24hr solos on that same saddle... though he has a thumping ass and glutes, so probably doesn't even sit on it.
People forget that the main contact point is your sit bones in the rearward section of the saddle. The rest is just peripheral support or just fluff and dead weight.

The amount of "padding" on a saddle does sweet FA other than mess with the ability of the saddle to properly support your sit bones.
This is where "expensive" knicks are also good because their chamois is designed as a support system rather than the cheap and compressible foams found in cheap knicks.

The Tune speedneedle is exceptionally comfy (if it's fitted right for you) because the seat rails are rigid AF and support a flexible carbon shell. The firm leather padding on the read wing supports your sit bones firmly but allows flex during the pedaling motion or through seated chop.

I personally get along with saddles with a raised rear section and some forward tilt as it supports my sit bones and pelvis perfectly in my preferred riding position (I like a low front and am fairly prone compared to other upright riders).

I've recently switched to an SQLab saddle with alloy rails so that I can attach bike packing bags.
The SQLab fitment process takes into account your sit bone width, riding position and preferred hip rotation.
Switching from my Speedneedle to the SQLab took some getting used to and I had some initial pressure but have now completed a reasonable number of 8hr+ rides and it's lovely.