One Up Dropper V2.1 clunking/noisy

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I recently purchased a 210mm One Up dropper from another 'Burner which was alleged to be in good condition. I used it for the first time on the weekend and I've noticed a few issues, just wondering if I should get the small parts service kit or a new cartridge.
It's got a bit of wobble, but that's fair enough because it's 200mm long but when the seat is not weighted in any position it makes a clunky sort of rattly noise as the seat moves around. For example if I pick the back wheel of the bike up 50mm and drop it, it clunks around. I assume this is excessive clearance between the inner and outer shafts and a worn bushing, any magic fixes that anyone is aware of? I've pulled off the top cap and put some slick honey in there but that made zero difference so I'll strip the bottom off it tonight and do the lower service too and see if that helps. Are they less wobbly if you drop the travel back a bit?
Any suggestions for who to get the parts from? I'm not a fan of MTB Direct at the moment, still waiting for an order that was placed over a week ago.

JOSHY7

Likes Bikes
I had this too.
I pulled the seat off and the clamps that hold the seat rail.
Under that there is a nut that holds the damper - it was loose.
Tightened it up sorted. Good luck

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
With respect, I think mtb direct is your best option at present and they openly state on their website that delivery delays are beyond their control. Buying from OneUp directly or ze Germans is likely to require a lot more patience!

Sounds like you want a V2 rebuild kit, try a WTB here or hit up the usual Farcebook pages too? I’ve only got a V1 kit unfortunately - I tacked it on to an OS order a while ago for when I need it. Post is still going strong as-is though.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got sick of it so put the X fusion manic back on, the actuation is so much nicer and best of all its silent.
I'll do some more investigation this week, but the feel on the lever is terrible compared to the xfusion so I'll probably just sell it. Same lever, same cable, same bike but the One Up is like a light switch where the xfusion provides some graduation with the release rate

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I had a V1 version of the OneUp dropper and traded that in for a Manic after some issues. Their combo of decent remote, good modulation on the activation, no issues and terrific price are seriously hard to beat.

doihoi

Likes Dirt
I'm about to go through a 2nd warranty claim cause my V1 only goes up when it wants to :( I might have to see if I can swap for a diff dropper

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
I had this too.
I pulled the seat off and the clamps that hold the seat rail.
Under that there is a nut that holds the damper - it was loose.
Tightened it up sorted. Good luck
Did you try this?

There's a strange nut around the shraeder valve that kept coming loose for me... once I got that tight it stopped all my problems.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Manic was a bit delicate with the seat clamp on my carbon Trance, and was sadly too long for my medium frame.

But I get the comments on modulation - the one up I have now certainly lets me have a 150mm dropper in a medium trance and it doesn't get sticky with a tight seat clamp, but damn its hard on my thumb and its very on-off!

At the risk of a thread hijack, any One Up owners with advice on a good lever that would assist with modulation? Something with a short cable pull I assume...

Last edited:

Jpez

Down on the left!
Manic was a bit delicate with the seat clamp on my carbon Trance, and was sadly too long for my medium frame.

But I get the comments on modulation - the one up I have now certainly lets me have a 150mm dropper in a medium trance and it doesn't get sticky with a tight seat clamp, but damn its hard on my thumb and its very on-off!

At the risk of a thread hijack, any One Up owners with advice on a good lever that would assist with modulation? Something with a short cable pull I assume...
I ordered a Wolftooth ReMote with my One Up and it was smooth as silk. You can get a light action one but I just got the standard and it’s fine.
I now run a PNW Loam Lever On a different dropper and consider it the rolls Royce of levers. If there is such a thing.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I'm currently using the ZTTO which is a wolf tooth knockoff. It definitely wants to pull more cable than the OneUp needs, and as result has a heavy action.

I have injured my left thumb though, so im probably overplaying the issue a bit!

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 on the PNW Loam Lever. I'm running that on a 2.1 One Up and have no complaints. It's smoother than the Bontrager ones I'm using in other bikes.

Nambra

I'm currently using the ZTTO which is a wolf tooth knockoff. It definitely wants to pull more cable than the OneUp needs, and as result has a heavy action.

I have injured my left thumb though, so im probably overplaying the issue a bit!
I’m running a V1 OneUp post with a BikeYoke Triggy lever and it modulates pretty well; I have no problem controlling the return speed of the post and it’s not too heavy with it’s action.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I’m running a V1 OneUp post with a BikeYoke Triggy lever and it modulates pretty well; I have no problem controlling the return speed of the post and it’s not too heavy with it’s action.
Seems that pulls a little more cable than my ZTTO. Hmmm. I should leave it a while - let my thumb heal (ive somehow torn a tendon i think..) and also let the brand new OneUp settle in.

Sorry OP, as you were ;)

Nambra

Seems that pulls a little more cable than my ZTTO. Hmmm. I should leave it a while - let my thumb heal (ive somehow torn a tendon i think..) and also let the brand new OneUp settle in.

Sorry OP, as you were ;)
Don’t forget the OneUp actuates by pulling the cable outer toward the post - is your outer moving freely enough?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Don’t forget the OneUp actuates by pulling the cable outer toward the post - is your outer moving freely enough?
I've got the revised mech that doesn't pull the outer. I think its all ok, its probably just a combination of my weak thumb and the newness of the dropper - its only about a dozen rides old.

New SP41 cable so should be good there....

Nambra

I've got the revised mech that doesn't pull the outer. I think its all ok, its probably just a combination of my weak thumb and the newness of the dropper - its only about a dozen rides old.

New SP41 cable so should be good there....
I should have mentioned I used a Shimano Optislick inner cable and SP41 outer housing on my bike to reduce friction.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I should have mentioned I used a Shimano Optislick inner cable and SP41 outer housing on my bike to reduce friction.
Im not sure what inner i have, probably one of the wiggle own brand jobs i dropped on the last order :)

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mine wasn't that smooth with Shimano outer and XTR cable with a Wolf Tooth remote, maybe 5mm total throw on the lever from full open to closed

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Mine wasn't that smooth with Shimano outer and XTR cable with a Wolf Tooth remote, maybe 5mm total throw on the lever from full open to closed
That's how it feels to me, especially compared to the Manic which had a lovely light long throw. Looking at pictures, the ZTTO looks like the light action version of the Wolftooth - so im still hoping its just my sore/weak thumb!