Best SPD "Trail" Shoe

nathanm

Eats Squid
Looking for something between my rigid sole lightweight XC shoes and my big heavy Shimano DH shoe. Still need a fairly rigid sole so excluding trekking style shoes and prefer something with a boa dial or strap over laces.

Bought some Afton Vectal from MTB Direct which not only took nearly 2 weeks to arrive but their sizing is 1 -1.5 sizes small in length (despite their website saying their a true fit) so i'm sending them back and looking to buy elsewhere as their service/delivery has become very ordinary.

nathanm

Eats Squid
So you're looking for the "Best SPD Trail Shoe" under $150, ideally with a boa system ??
nope, but if I could find them then sweet. happy with laces, as long as theres a cover/strap. happy to pay up to around $200 I suppose but I don't think the Specialized are really worth the price tag when you can get shimano's for closer to $100 and both my pairs have lasted over a decade.

which size?
I bought the US 12.0 as i'm generally around a 11.5-12.0 (EU46). Strangely the tag says US 12.0/UK 11.0/30cm but EU35 whereas they should be Euro36 for that size? I emailed MTBdirect about it and they're response was essentially get stuffed, we said they're a snug fit. yeah snug, not too fugging short you knob.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very much liking the Giro Ventanas I picked up to replace the 5.10 Hellcats I was riding before. Nice balance between gravity and xc styles.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Fit is the most important thing, as you have found out. $50 will come and go but the pain of shoes that don't fit well or last will not sit well.

Personally I'd be trying on any shoes unless you've had the same ones before. Buying online then then having to send things back is too frustrating for me. My wife however seems to send back half the things she buys online !

You should be able to try on Shimano, Specialized, maybe the Giro. Other brands seem harder to test in a shop.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Fit is the most important thing, as you have found out. $50 will come and go but the pain of shoes that don't fit well or last will not sit well.

Personally I'd be trying on any shoes unless you've had the same ones before. Buying online then then having to send things back is too frustrating for me. My wife however seems to send back half the things she buys online !

You should be able to try on Shimano, Specialized, maybe the Giro. Other brands seem harder to test in a shop.
this is the problem. have very few local shops with even less shoe stock available unless I want a pair of basic shimano's, or high end specialized.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Sold my Hellcats because they were too heavy, after 8-10 rides

Riding both ION Rascals and lace up 2FO's now, the IONs feel way nicer than the 2FOs.

Originally bought them in 43 but even know they fitted, alway felt 1 size bigger would have been a better choice, so bought them in 44.

My 13yr old now wears the 43's and will probably be in the size 44 2FOs in month or two.

They were always a good price from the Germans before DHL stopped, around $100-120.

Currently €67 at HiBike for last years colour.
https://www.hibike.com/ion-rascal-spd-shoes-p1d8687e133b4e3d89338dd892e0696bb#var_97867134

Looking forward to German orders again soon.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Shimano me7s are definitely worth a look. Mine have held up well. I like the neoprene cuff and easy lace system. Once you work out were to velcro the lace mech out of the way of top ratchet strap. First ride this was annoying but sorted now.Bike bug have them for $190. I'm tempted to by another set.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Not sure if you bought yet or not. If not pushys have 15% off shimano shoes. If you don't mind blue you can get a pair of shimano me7s for $170.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Not sure if you bought yet or not. If not pushys have 15% off shimano shoes. If you don't mind blue you can get a pair of shimano me7s for $170.
I actually wanted the me7 in blue but couldn't find my size 46/47.

Ended up ordering the black ones from bikebug last week.