VIC Lysterfield Park

teK--

Eats Squid
I really feel for clubs like LDTR and YYMTB. So much hard work from volunteers often hampered by red tape from PV and other authorities. It also doesn't help when entitled arseholes feel the need to ride in the wet and through trail closures, or destroy/B-line features with a complete disregard for others.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
It also doesn't help when entitled arseholes feel the need to ride in the wet and through trail closures, or destroy/B-line features with a complete disregard for others.
I have more trust that a lot of people are trying to do the right thing but just get caught out. An easy thing would be to just invest in signposting. Like next to the main carpakr start gate at Horswood rd (where te trail map is) Have a list of the main sections and an indicator board. Would be relatively low maintenance and doesn't require someone going out plotting detour signs everywhere. Kind of like the snow when they indicate which lifts are operating.

teK--

Eats Squid
I have more trust that a lot of people are trying to do the right thing but just get caught out. An easy thing would be to just invest in signposting. Like next to the main carpakr start gate at Horswood rd (where te trail map is) Have a list of the main sections and an indicator board. Would be relatively low maintenance and doesn't require someone going out plotting detour signs everywhere. Kind of like the snow when they indicate which lifts are operating.
That's a really good idea idea. Only challenge is that unlike a snow resort, people don't start at the bottom or top of a chairlift. The chairlifts are also staffed whenever running, so they can update signage immediately when weather changes.

Places like Lysterfield people can join onto the loop from wherever they want, so they aren't going to see signs at the main trailheads.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It also doesn't help when entitled arseholes feel the need to ride in the wet and through trail closures, or destroy/B-line features with a complete disregard for others.
This sort of stuff usually happens when people enter the sport without being part of an older riding group or club, trail ethics just doesn't get passed down to them.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ultimately Lysty, will need to expand north of welllington road to make the loop bigger and have people starting from multiple directions. As much as trail maintenance and all that helps, it's a little bit of blowing against the wind here. Connecting up to Silvan trails would also ease the pressure a fair bit. Less cars and folks from the east might start in the dandenongs instead.
Lysterfield is a very large network which has been created so that 95% of the trails can be ridden by a complete novice.
No surprise, that's where the complete novices go. It's also readily accessible for a huge growth area if the state.

Silvan, Red Hill, Plenty Gorge, Lake Mountain, Buxton, You Yangs & Forrest all have more challenging trails and are out of reach of the rider that just dusted off a brand new $500 dollar MTB

Having just returned from a ride in Silvan earlier this morning, it is certainly feeling the added pressure of this lockdown period.
A lot of trails are smashed from traffic and it's generally always wet through this time of year from the dew in the forest

Calvin27

Eats Squid
That's a really good idea idea. Only challenge is that unlike a snow resort, people don't start at the bottom or top of a chairlift. The chairlifts are also staffed whenever running, so they can update signage immediately when weather changes.
Yeah like I said not perfect but would help a fair bit. You only need a small network of folks to do it and would catch 90% of the traffic. One at Horswood and one at the other at Hallam North road carpark.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
No surprise, that's where the complete novices go. It's also readily accessible for a huge growth area if the state.
I rekon the problem is more that lysterfield is the most accessible trail by far. It has the most adequate car parking, bbqs (family can do stuff while you ride) and above all it's going to be the closest network driving to the trail.

The only real solution for lysterfield is a second trail that has a large network, adequate carparking and preferably good co-facilities. I can't see anything in proximity that might fit the bill. Maybe Silvan, but it need more work to connect it all up and even then it's a lot of climbing for most folk.

Last edited:

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are some real pricks that ride Lystie. I work at the Angliss and a pt came in the other day with a badly broken elbow. Two fuckers rode past him and wouldn’t help, even though he asked. He was pushing his bike with one arm and using a sling he made from his jacket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are some real pricks that ride Lystie. I work at the Angliss and a pt came in the other day with a badly broken elbow. Two fuckers rode past him and wouldn’t help, even though he asked. He was pushing his bike with one arm and using a sling he made from his jacket!

Absolutely absurd. There is plenty of these ignorant assholes everywhere

teK--

Eats Squid
I rekon the problem is more that lysterfield is the most accessible trail by far. It has the most adequate car parking, bbqs (family can do stuff while you ride) and above all it's going to be the closest network driving to the trail.

The only real solution for lysterfield is a second trail that has a large network, adequate carparking and preferably good co-facilities. I can't see anything in proximity that might fit the bill. Maybe Silvan, but it need more work to connect it all up and even then it's a lot of climbing for most folk.
That's the great thing about Silvan. It is steep and most tracks are rough and behind the skill of all the novices who flood to Lystie. Joining Lystie to Silvan might not be the best idea for that reason.
Absolutely absurd. There is plenty of these ignorant assholes everywhere
That is beyond ignorant. the guy even asked for help so it's not as if it wasn't obvious he was injured. They were just being selfish cunts.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's the great thing about Silvan. It is steep and most tracks are rough and behind the skill of all the novices who flood to Lystie.
I've said this before in here, but plenty of people that call themselves proper MTB riders still can't deal with Silvan.
So it's not even just the novices that are scared off

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Having just returned from a ride in Silvan earlier this morning, it is certainly feeling the added pressure of this lockdown period.
A lot of trails are smashed from traffic and it's generally always wet through this time of year from the dew in the forest

Silvan traffic in general has been increasing ever since the trail network was legally formalized. Unfortunately like you say a lot of people who do not know the area do not understand how wet it stays out there (rain forrest) and that the trails need a day or 2 to air out after rain before riding, and in the middle of winter never dry out fully.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Silvan traffic in general has been increasing ever since the trail network was legally formalized. Unfortunately like you say a lot of people who do not know the area do not understand how wet it stays out there (rain forrest) and that the trails need a day or 2 to air out after rain before riding, and in the middle of winter never dry out fully.
There’s now a new Sylvan FB page where the guy who made it seems hell bent on getting his member count up.
I cautioned against inviting the rest of Victoria to Sylvan so it didn’t turn into a Lysterfeild and it didn’t go down well.

teK--

Eats Squid
There’s now a new Sylvan FB page where the guy who made it seems hell bent on getting his member count up.
I cautioned against inviting the rest of Victoria to Sylvan so it didn’t turn into a Lysterfeild and it didn’t go down well.
Yeah I noticed this new group too. Keep getting notifications because they announce every time they get another 100 members lol.

Who is this guy anyway? Does he even build there or have links to the club who does?

Cannot see this ending well.

link1896

Mr Greenfield

Some fuckers can’t even smile back when you say hi to them when passing, but maybe these people are suffering mental health issues?

1. Mentally struggling
  2. Road rider
  3. On a mtb in the wet trying not to smash their brains out?

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ve never ridden at Silvan but I’d guess the specific climate is much like Buxton. I can certainly understand why they shut Buxton down every winter.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got a link? I know a few of the builders and would be interested to see who this is.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
It’s different dirt up on the mountain range around Silvan compared to Buxton.

I lived in Kallista 15 years ago and the mud is like nothing else up there. Back before a bunch of tracks were closed to bikes, I’d be the only loon out at night in winter, the Sasafrass creek track was next level tricky with roots everywhere. The kallista to micawber tavern track was insane.

The wet side of the mountain gets insane rainfall. One year we had 1.8 meters total rainfall. Those 10 meter tall fern trees love it.