Ashes No.7 - On Strange Wheels

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Here's the spiritual successor to the mortally wounded Ashes No.4. 23 years newer and 29 inch wheels...

With the Giant dead, I needed a new frame and decided I was best going something new or near new given how long I go between bikes.

Mostly spend my time trail riding with the young fella, but will jump on a shuttle for some gravity runs occasionally and may do some enduro races for a laugh down the track if the young fella decides he wants to do that.

Was on a pretty tight budget and this came up cheap and was in almost new condition. Bought new by a cashed up roadie who quickly decided MTB wasn't for him; claims it'd only done about 4 or 5 rides and they obviously easy rides with hardly a mark on it.

Stripped it down to a rolling chassis and then built it back up with the gear off the Giant.

Was quite happy on 26 wheels but I suppose you've got to move with the times.

Frame - 2019 Norco Fluid FS1 120mm, large size
Rear shock - Rockshox Deluxe R Debonair 190x45
Front shock/fork - Rockshox Revelation RC 130mm
Handlebars - Nukeproof Sam Hill 31.8 / 800mm
Stem - Raceface Evolve 31.8 / 60mm
Headset - stock integrated
Grips - Oury V2
Saddle - Liv cheapy
Seatpost - TransX 31.6 130mm dropper
Front brake - Shimano XT M8000 180mm rotor
Rear brake - Shimano XT M8000 180mm rotor
Cranks - Shimano Deore LX Hollowtech II 175mm
Chainring - Wolftooth Drop-Stop 32t
Chainguide - N/A
Chain - Shimano SLX 11sp
Pedals - Flats; eBay specials.
Rear derailleur - Shimano SLX 11sp
Rear shifter - Shimano SLX 11sp
Cassette - Shimano SLX 11-42
Front hub - Novatec 15x110
Rear hub - Novatec 12x148
Front rim - WTB STM i29
Rear rim - WTB STM i29
F Tyre - Maxxis DHF 29x2.5WT EXO / TR
R Tyre - Maxxis DHR II 29x2.4WT EXO / TR
Valves - Schrader - Joe's Tubeless
Total weight - 15.1kg

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Observations after a couple of weeks:

Happy
  • really like the position on the bike. At 6'4", most manufacturers have me deep in XL equivalent territory, but I wanted something playful that I could throw around rather than a barge/sled.
  • love thru axles
  • Revelations are a major step up on stiffness and action compared to what I've had previously
  • threaded BB
  • nice to be on a dually that doesn't squeak like a bastard
Not Happy
  • Internal cable routing. With bolted entry points, I can't imagine it getting much better and easier than this, but I'd rather external any day of the week. Form over function sadly.
  • 35mm bars. I've swapped over to my 31.8's from the previous bike now, but didn't like the stock ones at all. Don't reckon they're meaningfully stiffer than 31.8 but have a really harsh feeling to them.
  • Kinked seat tubes. Would rather the seat didn't track forward so much when dropping it.
Neutral
  • 29" wheels. Can feel (or think I can) them rolling slightly better, but for the most part I don't really notice any difference either way when out riding. I think that might change when I get onto some steeper and rockier gravity runs.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
The Bike has a good mix of bits on it.

The Non truion mount shock is also bug plus.
Yeah, not something I've spent alot of time thinking about but I read Brent Foes regretted putting them on his Ridgeback line which was enough to make me happy to have a non-trunnion.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Finally got this thing up and running after a long wait for a replacement pivot bolt. Made quite a few tweaks whilst it’s been out of action:
  • New XFusion O2 RCX shock with longer 51mm stroke. Much nicer damping than the RS Deluxe and better range of adjustment. Longer stroke also access more progression on the rear linkage too.
  • New RS Debonair C1 cartridge with longer 150mm stroke and no suck down issue.
  • Offset Bushing to play with rear ride height.
  • Trimmed bars to 780mm.

She’s gone from 130f/120r to 150f/135r, bb height up from 336mm to 350mm and angles back half a deg to 66/75.5.

Feels perfect on a quick spin but will see how it goes at Kalamunda tonight.

Last edited:

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Really happy with how all the mods worked out. Got exactly the feel I want.

Suspension is so much better at both ends. Didn’t use full travel at the back so probably have some room to run a bit more sag there. Still have one offset bushing I haven’t used and I liked the way the new setup handled so might bump the back up a bit higher so it sags to the same ride height.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting - I didn't know that could be done with the rear suspension on that bike, does it lose much clearance to the seat tube at full compression ?

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Interesting - I didn't know that could be done with the rear suspension on that bike, does it lose much clearance to the seat tube at full compression ?
It’s tight without offset bushings, but I wanted to lift the bb anyway so one 2mm bushing gives it enough clearance.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Update well overdue…

New wheels and cranks today. Brakes and dropper were upgraded a while ago. Not much left original now. Haven’t really worried about weight but it’s down a bit.

Frame - 2019 Norco Fluid FS1, large size
Rear shock - Rockshox Deluxe R Debonair 190x45 (120mm travel) or X-Fusion O2 RCX (135mm travel)
Front shock/fork - Rockshox Revelation RC - 150mm Debonair C1 upgrade [originally 130mm]
Handlebars - Nukeproof Sam Hill 31.8 / 780mm [originally Norco 35 / 780mm]
Stem - Raceface Evolve 31.8 / 60mm [originally Norco 35 / 50mm]
Headset - stock integrated
Grips - Oury V2 [originally VP lock on]
Saddle - WTB Rocket 142 [was Liv cheapie, originally Norco XC]
Seatpost - KS I-Rage 185mm [originally TransX 31.6 130mm dropper]
Brake levers - Shimano XT M8000 [originally SRAM Guide T]
Brake calipers - Magura MT5 4 piston [was XT M8000 2 piston, originally SRAM Guide T 4 piston]
Rotors - Magura Storm 180mm [was Shimano SLX 180mm, originally SRAM Centreline 180mm]
Pads - Magura 9p [was Shimano XT, originally SRAM]
Cranks - Shimano SLX m7100 175mm [was Deore LX Hollowtech II 175mm, originally SRAM NX 175mm]
Chainring - Shimano SLX 32t 12sp [was Wolftooth Drop-Stop 32t, originally SRAM NX 30t]
Chainguide - N/A
Chain - Shimano SLX 11sp [originally SRAM NX 12sp]
Pedals - Flats; One-Up composites (was eBay specials, originally VP nylon junk].
Rear derailleur - Shimano SLX 11sp [originally SRAM NX 12sp]
Rear shifter - Shimano SLX 11sp ispec ii [was SLX 11sp bar mount, originally SRAM NX 12sp]
Cassette - Sunrace 11-46 11sp [was Shimano SLX 11-42, originally SRAM NX 11-50 12 sp]
Front hub - DT Swiss 350 6 bolt [originally Novatec 15x110]
Rear hub - DT Swiss 350 6 bolt [originally Novatec 12x148]
Front rim - DT Swiss EX511 28h (originally WTB STM i29]
Rear rim - DT Swiss EX511 28h [originally WTB STM i29]
Spokes - Sapim Race double butted [originally stainless straight gauge]
Nipples - Sapim brass locking [originally alloy]
F Tyre - Maxxis DHRII 29x2.5 EXO/TR [was DHF 29x2.5WT EXO / TR, originally Forekaster 2.6]
R Tyre - Maxxis Aggressor 29x2.35 EXO/TR [was DHR II 29x2.4WT EXO / TR, originally Forekaster 2.6]
Valves - Stan’s Presta :( [was Schrader - Joe's Tubeless:), originally some Presta crap]
Total weight - 14.1kg [was 15.1kg, originally 15.7kg]

IMG_1252-compressed.jpeg

IMG_1251-compressed.jpeg

Last edited: