Which Alloy Enduro/Trail 27.5 Bike for around $4k

nathanm

Eats Squid
Apologies in advance for the "Which bike" thread, but arrived home last night to find my Merida stolen from my yard so need a replacement ride.
Canyon Spectral AL 6.0 is the obvious choice but no stock for up to 3 months.
What else should I be looking at that goes well both up and down and has 150mm+ travel.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
yes it is another of those threads....... perhaps narrow it down to 3-4 you like and get peoples opinions from there......... bit of a blank canvass here.......

BUt i'll indulge you..... Norco Sight 2020 for me.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Just a buy a bike already.
go easy on me mate, I'm still grieving. I only discovered it last night when I got home.

Have rung insurance this morning so will be waiting a week or so for the claim to go through and hopefully see the money. I'm guessing it might be a bit of a shit fight between them wanting to replace it with the new Merida one-forty which looks pretty average, rather than pay me out.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
go easy on me mate, I'm still grieving. I only discovered it last night when I got home.

Have rung insurance this morning so will be waiting a week or so for the claim to go through and hopefully see the money. I'm guessing it might be a bit of a shit fight between them wanting to replace it with the new Merida one-forty which looks pretty average, rather than pay me out.
Was it locked up in the yard somewhere? Are you putting extra in to get to 4K?

nathanm

Eats Squid
Was it locked up in the yard somewhere? Are you putting extra in to get to 4K?
yes and yes. I'm pissed at myself as I was just too lazy to pop it in the garage so rolled it into the backyard, locked the gate and left it there thinking no one will get passed the dog. But they've snuck in at night with us all inside, cut the lock and taken the bike.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Fucking bike thieves.

vote no.2 for the nukeproof.
You’d have more luck if you included 29’s. IMO the new geo will take longer to get used to than a new wheel size. May aswell go all out

hopefully they pay you out and you can choose what you buy.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Fucking bike thieves.

vote no.2 for the nukeproof.
You’d have more luck if you included 29’s. IMO the new geo will take longer to get used to than a new wheel size. May aswell go all out

hopefully they pay you out and you can choose what you buy.
yeah, I'm starting to think I'm going to have to move to the dark side and go 29er :eek:

Nukeproof appears out of stock apart from xl which is too big for my 180cm

Hal-9000

Likes Dirt
Have a look at the Trek Remedy 8. Fantastic bike and good solid specs. I have the 2019 model (RRP was $4000 in 2019!) which is pretty much exactly the same as 2020 model and over the last 18months the bike has been flawless. SRAM GX works well. The Bontrager dropper, while I thought would be a lowlight of the spec, is extremely easy to keep running smoothly and service. Front and rear shocks are a highlight. Only down side is the Guide R brakes. They are fine for most riding but long fast downhills tend to overwhelm them a bit.
A Canyon Spectral AL6 is going to cost you around $4400 shipped to Australia. The Remedy 8 currently retails at $5000 but you should be able to get it from a local Trek dealer for around $4500-4600 walk out the door.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
yeah, I'm starting to think I'm going to have to move to the dark side and go 29er :eek:
If it’s any consolation all the 29’ bikes I’ve ridden have all worked really well. A bikes ride character is a sum of all it’s parts, not just wheelsize.

DMan

If it’s any consolation all the 29’ bikes I’ve ridden have all worked really well. A bikes ride character is a sum of all it’s parts, not just wheelsize.
I agree. I'm no slower than my mates on their 27.5s and we ride a lot of fast, twisty stuff. Don't bash it until you've tried it. Unless you ARE actually Moorey, in which this is just a pointless conversation and you should just get a 26 :)

Shredden

Knows his goats
I got my 2019 Kona Process 153 27.5 DL for $3700 brand new around this time last year. If you could get a 2020 for the same price I reakon it would be sweet. I sold the Guide R brakes and switched to M8120 XT, and about to sell the NX/GX shifter/derailleur and put 12 speed XT on there, which will bring the total cost to about $4100

nathanm

Eats Squid
it was a merida, what’s there to grieve about? 1 rung above specialized for me
It was the 2015 Merida 140 7.9. Pretty much the only decent bike they made, spec and geometry was the best you could buy at the time and still rode really well today, plus I'd maintained it immaculately and just had full suspension service, new seat and tyre.

I'm sad to have lost it, but am looking forward to a new, current spec/geo proper enduro bike. In about 3 months when everyones stock finally arrives. Looks like I'll be honing my skills again on the Torrent hardtail.

DMan

It was the 2015 Merida 140 7.9. Pretty much the only decent bike they made, spec and geometry was the best you could buy at the time and still rode really well today, plus I'd maintained it immaculately and just had full suspension service, new seat and tyre.

I'm sad to have lost it, but am looking forward to a new, current spec/geo proper enduro bike. In about 3 months when everyones stock finally arrives. Looks like I'll be honing my skills again on the Torrent hardtail.
LOL. Bollocks! The new bike anticipation rush is way overriding your sense of loss! Admit it!! Admit it now!! :p

nathanm

Eats Squid
LOL. Bollocks! The new bike anticipation rush is way overriding your sense of loss! Admit it!! Admit it now!! :p
not yet, the uncertainty peaks my anxiety. I can't stand loose ends so I wont even budge from this sadness until I know I'm getting $$$$ from the insurance company not another shitty Merida. My anxiety peaks trying to choose the right bike, plus having to wait 3 months plus for it to arrive. It's an overthinkers nightmare.

All this when Derby is about to re-open FML (well first world problems)

But in better news Jayne's house just sold for about $70k more than we were expecting so now we all get to move in together. I'm really gunna need a new bike asap.