COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
The grant will be offered for contracts entered into between 4 June 2020 and 31 December 2020. Construction must be contracted to begin within three months of the contract date to be eligible.
@nathanm You seem to doubt you can get the contract signed & trades on the job in time though?

nathanm

Eats Squid
Several? Are you sure?
yes, from memory there were at least 3 but if you know more than feel free to correct me.

@nathanm You seem to doubt you can get the contract signed & trades on the job in time though?
As usual I've typed 1/2 a story. The issue is moreso the bridging loan as I'd really have to have the house built in under 12 months, at worst, to be able to afford it. As were about to have 3 kids, 2 adults, a dog and 2 cats jammed into a 12sq/m unit we need to be out asap and can't wait around for a year or two for the house to go up like new home owners.

Most builders are booked out for 12-18 months. Hobart has very little land currently available and none of it is even close to flat so so finding somewhere to build is also a major issue. I imagine many will be in the same situation.

It would be of some benefit to first house buyers though I assume. Though that assumption is they have a job, have a deposit and only need another $25k to build. Investors and owner/builders would froth it though I guess.

It's a typical Liberal government policy, made up quickly, without thorough thought, and has little impact in the real world other than making the rich richer.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
yes, from memory there were at least 3 but if you know more than feel free to correct me.
I don't want to undermine the unfortunate nature of the deaths of the guys working on that project, but several is an exaggeration. There was also injuries and other safety issues as well and the scheme was far from perfect. There was 4 deaths. Link for quick reference to the wiki article on the matter:

I think the I rational for this scheme was actually great. Create jobs, inject cash into the economy, help reduce greenhouse emissions of households, and help reduce household bills. Unfortunately there was some shortcomings in the implementation and operators exploited that. I personally had some guys try and just leave bags of insulation for me to install myself.

Certainly something like this is significantly better for Australia than the very specific and targeted plan rolled out yesterday? Solar panels or instant hot water systems are 2 easy examples that spring to mind.

I think the I rational for this scheme was actually great. Create jobs, inject cash into the economy, help reduce greenhouse emissions of households, and help reduce household bills. Unfortunately there was some shortcomings in the implementation and operators exploited that. I personally had some guys try and just leave bags of insulation for me to install myself.
agree, the intention was sound, a fuck load more sound that allowing people to purchase imported vehicles with tax dollars

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Solar panels or instant hot water systems are 2 easy examples that spring to mind.
Can't. Victoria already stuffed the solar market with their grants. It's at capacity already.

If you want to get best bang for buck construction, best is public infrastructure investment. I don't mean $25k sheds in schools, I mean like real huge works. The only downside is there is some lag in that translating to direct jobs, but indirectly with a pipeline of large value contracts it creates a lot of flow on effects like confidence in the sector. The big guys are also less likely to mess it up as badly as having every man and their do do pink batts. If they do mess it up, it's on them and they are too big to pass the buck on critical stuff like safety.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I mean like real huge works.
I love infrastructure. I do get a bit grrrrrrrrrrr with the mega companies that score the contracts and "trickle down" the spoils. NSW has demonstrated how easy it is to fuck up big infrastructure projects.

I would like to see projects that leverage greener outcomes. Maybe we don't need to put solar panels in every roof in Australia, but we could be throwing cash at solar and wind farms or hydro projects.

As for messing things up, do you know much about the NSW light rail projects? Great examples of how to fuck things up, especially in Sydney CDB. I don't know the outcome, could probably look it up, but the company that was handling the construction went on strike and tried to sue the government, because that is how they do business. There is always extra millions to be made from contract loopholes.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So they want to stimulate activity in the building sector, and are willing to throw government money at it...

Funny how it's not being allocated for more (desperately needed) public housing isn't it? Those filthy swine are trying to better themselves and become part of society! Damn them I say, damn them to hell!!!

nathanm

Eats Squid
I don't want to undermine the unfortunate nature of the deaths of the guys working on that project, but several is an exaggeration. There was also injuries and other safety issues as well and the scheme was far from perfect. There was 4 deaths.
Actually "Several" would be a text book dictionary definition.

several
/ˈsɛv(ə)r(ə)l/

determiner · pronoun
determiner: several; pronoun: several
  1. more than two but not many.

can we get an eye roll or even a fuck me emoji?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

several
/ˈsɛv(ə)r(ə)l/

determiner · pronoun
determiner: several; pronoun: several
  1. more than two but not many.

can we get an eye roll or even a fuck me emoji?
Well I'll be...I'd always taken several to be derived from seven and thus be around seven. I shall put this new knowledge to good use.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Loads of people are killed every year in construction, many in big companies. Loads is more than 4 by a multiple if I need to define it.

The whole pink batt thing was a scapegoat, as if every fucking scheme ever didn't have cocksnaps making big coin and cutting corners. As if many construction companies don't cut corners on a daily basis, whether the gov gave them money or not, big or small.

BAU seems to be about 20-30 deaths a year in construction.

Table 1: Worker fatalities: number of fatalities and fatality rate by industry of employer, 2018
Industry of employerNumber of
fatalities
Fatality rate
(fatalities per
100 000 workers)
Agriculture, forestry & fishing3711.2
Transport, postal & warehousing385.9
Mining93.7
Construction242.0
Electricity, gas, water & waste services32.0
Manufacturing131.4
Wholesale trade30.8
Rental, hiring & real estate services 20.9
Information media & telecommunications 20.9
Arts & recreation services20.8
Administrative & support services 30.7
Other services 20.4
Public administration & safety 30.4
Accommodation & food services10.1
Education & training10.1
Health care & social assistance10.1
Retail trade00.0
Professional, scientific & technical services 00.0
Financial & insurance services00.0
Total1441.1

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I remember getting that wrong, in the same way, in grade 5.
School wasn't exactly my best subject as a kid. Something about an attitude problem. I'd always gone with
  • a couple = 2
  • a few 3-5
  • several 6-9

I'm making up for it in my old age.

@Scotty T didn't the CFMEU used to say 1 death per day or per week happened in Australia on construction sites? While 20 to 30 is too many, it seems an improvement.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
We were all wondering on post ride goodbyes if fist bumping is back today, so we did some hybrid elbow-fist bumps, and it was totally normal. Brave New world. Maybe this year we might escape mass fires, and have proper RB Xmas rides in various areas, and throw down some man hugs. I live in hope.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
We were all wondering on post ride goodbyes if fist bumping is back today, so we did some hybrid elbow-fist bumps, and it was totally normal. Brave New world. Maybe this year we might escape mass fires, and have proper RB Xmas rides in various areas, and throw down some man hugs. I live in hope.
Get with the real game changers man. Go Japanese and bow! It's way better than any contact and will have you feeling very samurai in no time.

Unless you haven't learnt about the body language of the bow. Then you may end up embarrassed.