Will I look stupid wearing full face on XC tracks?

Mitten

Likes Bikes
I'm seriously considering getting a Fox Rampage helmet or other type to protect my beautiful face. I mainly do XC riding on my Norco A2. A mate's younger brother who I often ride with slid off into the scrub last week and required 6 stitches on his chin. He's a more capable rider then me so it's making me think about the extra protection.

Just worried I'll look dumb as I don't do Enduro or hardcore jumps and generally ride slowly (no-one in my riding group wears fullface either). Also worried that for xc riding I'll probably get too hot with one on. Also despite been slow I've still managed to crash 3 times this year so my riding abilities seem to be going backwards..

Anyone else wear fullface for just basic off road riding?

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Who cares what you look like?

I see plenty on our trails in FF and other protection just doing regular stuff. I don't have the spare cash for one at the moment but will go a light FF at some stage.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Cheaper than dental work...... But......

I once had a stylish endo involving a springy tree vine thingy wrapped around my pedal and some sandstone. Ended up with stitches on my chin.

Bought a full face and said never again going with an open face helmet.

The full face now sits patiently in the shed waiting for the next endo to mess up my chin. Rinse and repeat.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If anyone asks or makes you feel uncomfortable, ask them if they're paying your medical bills?

Seriously, forget what anyone says or thinks, do what makes you comfortable and safe.

When I first started riding I thought, you can't really hurt yourself here riding XC.
2 concussions
3 fractured vertabrae
1 torn hamstring
1 dislocated rib
1 torn ulnar collateral ligament
1 AC joint rupture
And countless grazes bruises, cuts and sprains over the years.

This is all on XC stuff, and yes I can ride despite the above evidence to the contrary.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Might look odd in some places, but plenty of people do these days. If it makes you feel more comfortable on the bike, go for it. Fashion is secondary to function is you were unlucky enough to have a bad pedal strike or clip the bars on a tree or what not.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I'm just about due for a helmet update.

One of those whizz bang light full face helmets seem like a no brainer I have been thinking.

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk

safreek

You won't look as cool as no helmet but I wouldn't be concerned what others think.
Do what makes you feel safe and happy, happy riding =fun:D

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I know plenty that do, why not

The older met parachute would be a great compromise, lighter and more open than the proframe/stage. It's almost like an xc/trail helmet with a chinbar. Apparently meets certification that the removable chinbar ones don't?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've had a Super Air R since January, wear the chinbar almost 100% of the time & haven't looked back. The way I see it, anyone judging you for protecting your head is a moron anyway, so why care about what they think?

The one or two times i've gone no chinbar was when it was unbearably hot & was doing a bit of climbing, even then I was wishing i'd brought it with me for the descent. Still trying to figure out a discrete mount to have it on the bike temporarily.