Are we all overbiked these days?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
The lure of more travel = better riding is a strong one. I'm sure Mtb marketing departments know all about that one.

Travel got longer and overall trails got more flowy and smoother.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I went from the 153mm Process to a 115mm Smuggler.

Smuggler great for almost 80% of riding I do, and handles most of the rest, but I've found myself underbiked a couple of times now.. Process was opposite, it was great for almost all my riding but found myself overbiked sometimes. Bit of a goldilocks scenario - now looking at a Prime.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm feeling quite happy on the hardtail or 135mm FS.

Even the 27.5 rig at 150mm is nice enough. I've considered a 160mm 29" bike but that would be too much. I'd still love the descents though.

jrewing

Eats Squid
I'm underbiked. I think the progression in both Mtb and Moto has jumped the last 2-3 years. Jumps, features are getting bigger imo

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I'm overbiked for probably 90% of the riding that I do. But I don't mind hauling around the extra travel and don't want a bike for every discipline.
Yep, my train of thought too

safreek

Probably not over biked really. Pretty sure I would need to wear a helmet without 250mm of rear travel. The cross country trails are brutal around here, sometimes you need to boost off a crashed out hippy whilst being pursued by a meth addict trying to steal your bike. More travel the better I think, unless you are riding with mates, I get dropped by everyone.
Still have a ball though

moorey

call me Mia
I went from the 153mm Process to a 115mm Smuggler.

Smuggler great for almost 80% of riding I do, and handles most of the rest, but I've found myself underbiked a couple of times now.. Process was opposite, it was great for almost all my riding but found myself overbiked sometimes. Bit of a goldilocks scenario - now looking at a Prime.
V3 spitty. Should have been called Goldilocks.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Definitely, evidence cited the tens of enduro riders with their 160 squish struggling to pedal the lake mountain descent trail, 440 vert up over 1000m down, yet they were exhausted doing 3hr+ runs, made it difficult for me to get 2 laps on my Ti hardtail with 120 travel no dropper, Harcourt rode fine on SS rigid with 70.5 HA

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
When I went mid travel years ago I kept the XC for easy ride days. The long travel gets most of the riding and XC only comes out if the other one is broken.

Definately over biked 80% of the time, but it does make up for lack of skill.

Also overbiked going down means underbiked going up so it balances out.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah - I'm figuring a Prime is just a Spitfire with the wrong wheel size :p

Those V3 frame prices mean it will be a little while before I commit though..
Fixed.

Ima totes want me a used one when they start popping up in the next 12 months.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
My going up pace is dictated by my fitness and effort level so there isn't much of a difference no matter what bike I'm on. Going down, I have a natural pace that suits a 150mm travel bike. I'm going to say I'm perfectly matched to mine ;)

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Certainly here in Adelaide, every new MTBer gets talked into going full enduro straight away.

As a result, they only ever learn the way of the plow and find our beginner and intermediate trails to be "too easy" (read - easily straight lined)