Are we all overbiked these days?

nathanm

Eats Squid
I'm gunna go with no.

It's like having a porsche as a daily driver. Yes it has the potential to do over 300km/h but it's still really, really nice to drive around the streets at 60kays and when you do get it out on an open highway you can really have more fun. You may never use it to it's full potential, but on that one day you do, it makes it all worthwhile.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Yeah @caad9 saw that video too.

I first fell victim to overbiking in the late 90's fitting Z1 Bombers to my old Mongoose and super wide for the time Ti Bars. Bombers were worth more than the bike.

Early 2000's got the Iron Horse SGS in the frenzy of Freeride. I never really free rode it properly. It was a response to me saying in the 90's that rear suspensions felt like noodles except on DH bikes so I'd stick to the HT, this one didn't, and it could theoretically pedal up hills. It actually does it well for an 18kg bike.

2010's got my son's Avanti, 140 each end, ~4 kg lighter than the hoss. Cheap noodle front end lets it down a lot though. Also stupidly wanted to make it lighter and put 2.1 tyres on. Now looking to rectify that. At that point I thought I might like something that went fast uphills again and got the Trek Fuel Ex.

27.5, tubeless, dropper, light. It was incredibly fast everywhere. But it showed the noodle I so despised in the 90's, mostly in the front end. Plus I still had the 90's mentality of Bonsai and kept buying L instead of XL.

Cue the Bronson. If it was a kilo heavier, I wouldn't call it a fantastic all rounder but I reckon the weight to travel ratio is great, and it does everything well for me. I wanted something I could ride up Stromlo, and down Thredbo.

I haven't felt overbiked at all really because it rockets along on the smooth easier stuff, and the only thing I've felt really underbiked on was Thredbo Cannonball. Previous time I rode that was on a proper sled.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nothing beats a ride on a demo bike to work this out :)

I tend to to think not given the trails are progressing along with the bikes. You could say I am under bikes as I do avoid some trails in my local but a bigger bike would make the majority of the network less fun.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Depends on what you need. I have rode You Yangs on a fully rigid, also ridden tarmac roads on a 160mm bike.

If you need to go fast or get something out of the experience, you may feel underbiked or overbiked.

I use what is the most appropriate bike for the ride I have planned in my head, a predominantly XC ride I use the XC bike, yeah might come across a few sections when my bigger bike would have been nice but 90% of the ride I would have been swearing at 2.5WT Assagai's front and rear.

Last edited:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I have 5 mountain bikes so can chose to be under or over.
The average person is overbiked but that is the nature of consumer capitalism.
Is the average helicopter mother over carred in her Landcruiser.?
Is the average McMansion too big ?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I have 5 mountain bikes so can chose to be under or over.
The average person is overbiked but that is the nature of consumer capitalism.
Is the average helicopter mother over carred in her Landcruiser.?
Is the average McMansion too big ?
Sorry I didn't get past
"I have 5 bikes"

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
I felt my Tallboy LT could conquer basically everything when I lived in WA. Now I've moved back to Tassie and I just want something longer, lower, slacker with more travel...

I don't ride that often which doesn't help plus every ride is tiring as it involves endless climbing. I find being fatigued as being a greater issue than "overbiking". But then if you are overbiked, fatigue isn't as much of an issue...

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I find being fatigued as being a greater issue than "overbiking". But then if you are overbiked, fatigue isn't as much of an issue...
I think this is an excellent point. When you're feeling fit and strong, reactions and placing the bike flow a lot better. Fits neatly with the skill argument too.

I guess the frustration for many is that after work and family there's often not much time left for riding, which leads to purchasing things to find that elusive sweet spot.

As Eddie Merckx said "Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades"