What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Whilst off the bike, I've had time to perform maintenance that isn't rushed as usual, so can take on bigger/newer tasks.

Installed updated C1 air spring and performed lower leg service. Was surprisingly straight forward and I only needed to borrow one tool (circlip pliers). The RS instructions are very good, as are some of the Youtube vids. Next step is a bike stand which will make my life a LOT easier.
Did you notice theres 2 manuals for the C1 upgrade? (latest is rev B I believe)
They added in:
  • Put 3ml of 0-30w on the air spring uppers
  • Put drops of 0-30w on the shaft.
Never seen that before on RS fork service manuals before

I did mine with grease only and noticed some stiction, added more grease , and the above two and it helped.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Did you notice theres 2 manuals for the C1 upgrade? (latest is rev B I believe)
They added in:
  • Put 3ml of 0-30w on the air spring uppers
  • Put drops of 0-30w on the shaft.
Never seen that before on RS fork service manuals before

I did mine with grease only and noticed some stiction, added more grease , and the above two and it helped.
No, i didn't notice that on the Lyrik/Yari manual, but I did on the Pike one. Was wondering why they are different.

I only used grease on the shaft/uppers. Is yours a Pike or Lyrik @tkdbboy?

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
No, i didn't notice that on the Lyrik/Yari manual, but I did on the Pike one. Was wondering why they are different.

I only used grease on the shaft/uppers. Is yours a Pike or Lyrik @tkdbboy?
Mines Lyrik. I would imagine that part of the assembly would be almost identical for both?

I figured doing that couldn't hurt, and had similar experience from a mate who also did the same on his Lyrik.

BT180

Max Pfaff

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I may have laughed at Haakon last night...and karma tried to see my kneecap this morning.

Even worse...it was all due to a clipstack as I rode off the tarmac and onto the soft road verge whilst turning around and avoiding road debris. Drove my knee back into the rough tarmac and voila!

Best part of 30 stiches later I sit here on the couch waiting for the local anaesthetic to wear off...

I'm fairly sure that no-one wants to see the gory close-up.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
For those who care about my experiment with converting a Oneup dropper from v1 to v2.1 here it is:
I bought a v2.1 actuator from MTB Direct.
It sits proud of the cartridge pin so when you install it with the two grub screws it puts pressure on the pin.
Took the pin out and removed 3mm from the flat end, re-installed and hey presto - it works!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I may have laughed at Haakon last night...and karma tried to see my kneecap this morning.

Even worse...it was all due to a clipstack as I rode off the tarmac and onto the soft road verge whilst turning around and avoiding road debris. Drove my knee back into the rough tarmac and voila!

Best part of 30 stiches later I sit here on the couch waiting for the local anaesthetic to wear off...

Send it to moorey by DM. He earned it.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse

That’s a top effort! That’s going to need a LOT of care to avoid infection... :(

silentbutdeadly

That’s a top effort! That’s going to need a LOT of care to avoid infection... :(
Gee taa...I might be okay with infection as I had leg warmers on and they didn't fail. Indeed I rode 12 km not even knowing I had done that sort of damage.

So it was very clean...the doctor on call at the local hospital is also a cyclist. He decided to go to town with the stitches so it's sealed up tight. I also have some hefty antibiotics to take over the next five days...

I should heal a lot faster than you.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Gee taa...I might be okay with infection as I had leg warmers on and they didn't fail. Indeed I rode 12 km not even knowing I had done that sort of damage.

So it was very clean...the doctor on call at the local hospital is also a cyclist. He decided to go to town with the stitches so it's sealed up tight. I also have some hefty antibiotics to take over the next five days...

I should heal a lot faster than you.
I once got nasty blood poisoning (on the couch for a month type sick) from coming off on bitumen... Opening up the skin on roads can be risky.

I think what I’m getting out of all this is that crashes happen doing simple things. The lesson is to ride harder and on nastier trails and you’ll crash less.

silentbutdeadly

I think what I’m getting out of all this is that crashes happen doing simple things. The lesson is to ride harder and on nastier trails and you’ll crash less.
I thought riding hard WAS a simple thing.

This is actually my first bike related hospitalisation in 33 years...and The Lad will tell you that I crash heaps! However, both of the hospital visits resulted from rides on the road...so the math in this instance says that riding off road is MUCH safer.

Your math may vary...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I saw some air time...can't believe that the rock off lost momentum!

I have to make an urgent trip to Questacon tomorrow, so I loaded it on the back of a work ute, bodgiest bike racking ever ...

Would be rude not to I think.

Someone needs an excuse for a new bike!