Helped the police recover my stolen bike.

nathanm

Eats Squid
So a few weeks ago my Merida one forty 7.9 was stolen from my backyard.
Pretty rare bike so I've been stalking the buy and sell pages and last night it turns up on Facebook.
Messaged the "seller" as a keen "buyer" and organised a meet up today in a restaurant car park under the proviso I'd be bringing $2k cash.
Got straight onto the local CIB police officer who was investigating and organised for him to come to the viewing as well.
The police have been brilliant in this process and when I arrived at the meet up they were already there, 4 officers in 2 cars already interrogating the seller.
The seller had organised his daughter to bring the bike and she was all like "oh is it stolen or something"? Yeah luv your dad's either a thief or loves receiving stolen goods.
Anyway I get the bike back tomorrow and the only thing they've done is change the pedals.

If anyone's interested I can post up the screenshots of the convo with the seller. The dude was absolutely clueless in every respect.

Last edited:

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Got straight onto the local CIB police officer who was investigating and organised for him to come to the viewing as well.
The police have been brilliant in this process and when I arrived at the meet up they were already there, 4 officers in 2 cars already interrogating the seller.
most metro melb police couldn’t give s toss, will not come to a meetup

. The dude was absolutely clueless in every respect.
You probably got along well then ;), it’s a tasmanian thing?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great outcome, glad you got er back. Would be interested to see the screenshots (maybe black out names though)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm totally jealous. Congratulations on getting the bike back. Of the many times I have been a victim of this sort of thing, once I had a chance to get the bike back and the police told me they were not interested in helping me. I couldn't believe it! I should have just taken it when I had the chance.

I hope this arsehole and his associates get what is deserved.

You're also getting the bike back so quick. One of my friends bikes was stolen and about 6 months later the police retrieved it. They then held it until the court case was over (bike was only retrieved as incidental to other crime investigations against the perp). So after about 18 months he bled came back and it as fucked. The clown had changed a bunch of pars for shit parts. So with the expenditure of cash and time the bike was restored to a reasonable condition and in all my friend was without its use for a bit over 2 years.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Glad you got it back. Everyone needs to be super careful these days as I have seen heaps of stolen posts on the Facebook. Reckon it’s cause the second hand market is hot at the moment. They also post up the occasional police recovered bikes too.