Helped the police recover my stolen bike.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Definitely interested to see the convo history, of course somewhat anonymised :) I love when a good story develops and has a bit of drama with a good resolution.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Definitely interested to see the convo history, of course somewhat anonymised :) I love when a good story develops and has a bit of drama with a good resolution.
in hindsight it's probably not that interesting. just messages backwards and forwards between a buyer and seller until he sends me a bunch of pics of all this shitty old deore 8spd drivetrain stuff that he'd procured and was going to fit on the bike, I assume to turn it back into a 3x something. he even had a Thule ball mount rack and brand new socket set he was throwing in for free. Illegally obtained I can only assume.

nathanm

Eats Squid
So I emailed the insurer the day I recovered the bike then had a week off work. Arrived today to find an email response from them saying

"We advise that we have settled the above claim for net of $about tree-fiddy You may disposed the recovered bike. We will now close the claim as completed"

Well alright then. Win-win for me but fark, no wonder our insurance premium is so much that they pay out, then can't even be bothered to sell their recovered property.

Now I have the real first world problem, which bike do I sell the recovered Merida or do i offload my old classic custom build 2008 stumpjumper?

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had the same, bike stolen but I got it back quickly although wheels were damaged.
It was insured and I explained now much it would cost to replace them.
They said, ok here's the money. I asked what they wanted how do want the wheels returned to them and they said, just keep them / do as you will with them.
Ok I said...