What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Congrats @beeb - what's the final damage on that gorgeous thing? You sure had them work for it...tube shapes are amazing.
I think the frame was around $830USD, but I payed at a time where I copped the worst of the exchange rate, and on top of that freight charges have now spiralled over $230USD due to limited capacity, and I payed via PayPal so that added about $48USD. So definitely not cheap! But I knew it would be a gamble to do it during COVID... At the same time, designing the frame and sorting out the build parts was a nice distraction from the COVID rollercoaster, and I've been lucky that my work has been mostly steady and I've been able to pick up a bunch of extra Saturday shifts from colleagues to keep the build alive. I'm a very lucky bloke right now.

[EDIT] - (Updated prices)

Last edited:

beeb

Not cheap? Priced something like a Baum lately? Excellent VFM!
Sort of agree. To play devil's advocate here - The Waltlys are very good, but I can also understand why the cost is so different for local custom makers. With Waltly there is no bike fit, geo advice, FEA, or advice on tube selection. You ask for what you think will work/look good and they tell you Yes/No whether or not they can build it. Their communication is pretty good considering, but it'll never be the same as walking into a local workshop and describing the curves and frame details you want person to person. They obviously won't have the rental/material/utilities costs of a local manufacturer either. The cost of a Baum/Prova/Gellie/etc... is more than I can justify for when I'm still experimenting with geometry, but I can understand how those kind of prices are justified.

beeb

Awesome!

If only they could work out a simple single pivot... :(
I tried for a dual suspension build as well and realised very quickly it wasn't going to work out. They must have a pretty set welding process/sequence, and stops them heading down the custom dual suspension design route. I guess running a production-line-like welding process is how they keep the prices so low for custom geo frames. It is so tantalisingly close to possible though so I feel your pain!

Last edited:

ausdb

Being who he is
The youngsters birthday is fast approaching and I have realised I need to extract the digit and get his bike painted instead of looking for more bargains. Had the day off today and made a start, it's second hand anyway who needs this...
DSC_3973-picsay.JPG
Cleaned the sticker residue with acetone and scrubbed it with jif, then started sanding. It needs a bit of filling and sanding as there's some pretty rough chain suck damage, decided to get rid of the colour accents and logos, as I don't want them telegraphing through the new topcoat.
DSC_3976-picsay.JPG
Need to find some big cardboard boxes tomorrow to make a bake box or I'll be waiting weeks for paint to dry in this weather.

Last edited: