COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Pretty sure I saw a news item that ebola has been found in Melbourne.
State sponsored misinformation to distract us from covid - Dan signed off on it personally according to the radioactive penguins on Phillip Island.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Good shit coming from Covid-19.

Hopefully they can be built in Tasmania or Victoria using Aussie steel and workforce.

Spirit of Tasmania has been advised by the Tasmanian Government that it will not proceed with the proposed vessel replacement contract with Finnish ship builder Rauma Marine Constructions (RMC) due to COVID-19 and its economic implications for the State.

The Government noted that the COVID-19 pandemic has had, and will continue to have, an unprecedented detrimental impact on the world and national economies, and that the Tasmanian economy would not be immune to these impacts. The Government indicated that every effort should be made to buy or produce locally wherever possible to support Tasmanian and Australian jobs.

Pleasingly, the Government remains of the view that it is essential the vessels be replaced in coming years, to support the passenger and freight transport needs of the State.To find out more about this news, view the full Media Release.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Good shit coming from Covid-19.
There should be some good local (catering for both intra state and national) trail investment in every state once we reach a national level of "normal" living with COVID. Hopefully this encourages more Aussies to spend their holiday money here rather than on Bintang singlets and low cost air carriers with offshore bases.

I've always been a supporter of creating great trails for your local market rather than the marketing buzz of "attracting international tourists" who are fickle sorts.
In the long run, great local infrastructure and supporting culture will attract others to come without having to artificially create an offering in a petri dish...

At the moment, not many places in Aus have an organic feeling cycling culture (notable exceptions are Melrose (too small at the moment), Bright and Forrest circa 2013-2017). Canberra had a glimpse of it following the World champs but it seems to have fizzled a bit.
I do hear that Derby and surrounds are approaching this cultural shift towards embracing cycling.

Nothing here in Aus rivals Rotorua though.

nathanm

Eats Squid
There should be some good local (catering for both intra state and national) trail investment in every state once we reach a national level of "normal" living with COVID. Hopefully this encourages more Aussies to spend their holiday money here rather than on Bintang singlets and low cost air carriers with offshore bases.

We definitely do not want those kinds of people riding MTB. They are bad enough at riding scooters, late at night, drunk, without helmets.

I disagree, Derby most certainly rivals whilst not being quite as good as it. However it costs me $200 to ride there, not $2k so I am biased.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
We definitely do not want those kinds of people riding MTB. They are bad enough at riding scooters, late at night, drunk, without helmets.

I disagree, Derby most certainly rivals whilst not being quite as good as it. However it costs me $200 to ride there, not $2k so I am biased.
Bogans already ride MTB, most refer to them as Downhillers or Enduro Riders (bring on the flamers)

Derby has the trails and it IS a town but it doesn't have the other things to do, accommodation and restaurants (that open 7 days and past sunset) that Rotorua has... St Helen's is rapidly grabbing that part of the trail market though....

herbman

Likes Dirt
Derby has the trails and it IS a town but it doesn't have the other things to do, accommodation and restaurants (that open 7 days and past sunset) that Rotorua has... St Helen's is rapidly grabbing that part of the trail market though....
When were you last there? as i have a had many a meal their in the pub and pizza place and some over them were even in the dark on a Sunday.
Normally the issue now is getting a seat in ether place not if they are open.

also re St Helens, it great for the family but currently has limited shuttle options so i cant see it taking over from Derby.

For smell?

Also from a kiwis perspective Derby is rated as very highly and a number of riders i know are looking at trips their once the Covid thing is sorted

Last edited:

nathanm

Eats Squid
Agreed. We had so much fun in Rotorua last trip, we checked out Hobbiton, luge, zorb balls, blue lake and walked into town for dinner and drinks. Was on the trip with 3 mates who just slept in, rode bikes and sunk piss all night. Couldn't believe they were wasting there one and only trip ever there.
Derby has, um, well trails I suppose. Launceston is close by, but no one wants to go there, unless you want to get herpes from a monkey.

St helens is slowly building it's trails but is years away from being anywhere near as big or good as either of those locations and even when it is there's still not much to do there other than some beautiful beaches and some good fishing.

But we digest from the point at hand.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
When were you last there? as i have a had many a meal their in the pub and pizza place and some over them were even in the dark on a Sunday.
Normally the issue now is getting a seat in ether place not if they are open.
also re St Helens, it great for the family but currently has limited shuttle options so i cant see it taking over from Derby.
Pizza place still quotes closing time at 8pm

Who needs shuttles when you have:
a) Legs and a bike
b) A partner who will drop you off wherever because the rest of the family have something else to do for the day

For smell?
Also from a kiwis perspective Derby is rated as very highly and a number of riders i know are looking at trips their once the Covid thing is sorted
Total offering of trails/culture/whole package.

No self respecting bogan rides on anything without one of these motors attached to it.
Bogans already ride MTB, most refer to them as Ebikers
FIFY
@rangersac your bogans haven't yet discovered that E-Bikes are more legal-er ?