Newly Released Bikes General

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Exactly. It’s a generic term used worldwide and often used to describe current day groups of people. I am so tempted to start a petition to reinstate the word. They only had 1000 against it.
Who cares? The “tribe” marketing has always been a kool-aid-drinking level of trite bullshit better suited to some snake-oil selling MLM.

It’s a tiny tiny gesture that does virtually nothing to actually address inequities and diversity issues in MTB but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t do it. Like it or not “tribal” has been used for a long long time as a synonym for “uncivilised”, so yeah using it to sell $20000 bikes is now considered poor taste.

At the end of the day, it costs Yeti nothing to change their word choice, and it costs PB dudebros nothing (other than some elevated blood pressure and some skin rage-rubbed off their dicks), but it can make it easier for other people to feel at home in the MTB world. So why are we even still talking about it?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Who cares? The “tribe” marketing has always been a kool-aid-drinking level of trite bullshit better suited to some snake-oil selling MLM.

It’s a tiny tiny gesture that does virtually nothing to actually address inequities and diversity issues in MTB but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t do it. Like it or not “tribal” has been used for a long long time as a synonym for “uncivilised”, so yeah using it to sell $20000 bikes is now considered poor taste.

At the end of the day, it costs Yeti nothing to change their word choice, and it costs PB dudebros nothing (other than some elevated blood pressure and some skin rage-rubbed off their dicks), but it can make it easier for other people to feel at home in the MTB world. So why are we even still talking about it?
You've just paraphrased the article @HamboCairns linked.

It's a great article, but the challenge is getting those who feel aggrieved to think of somebody other than themselves

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I'd be interested to see if it becomes a wider thing. Ball-sports in particular seem to use the term tribe and tribal a lot to promote inclusion of supporters, as do certain fitness brands and gyms etc. Curious as to whether they are words whose usage will drop away in the future.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Because it’s not actually about the word. All it did was prove that hyper sensitive complaint culture is right and rational thinking is wrong. Pinkbike is even censoring people using the word tribe in the comments now which is just ridiculous.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Because it’s not actually about the word. All it did was prove that hyper sensitive complaint culture is right and rational thinking is wrong. Pinkbike is even censoring people using the word tribe in the comments now which is just ridiculous.
For me the more worrying thing is that we are looking towards companies to lead the way in terms of political correctness and then praising them when they do it.
Do not get me wrong, I think political correctness is a good thing (racism is learnt and it does take the effort of the village to unlearn it and it will be painful), but the movement is being subverted by capitalist ideology.
Now front and centre of the political correctness movement is companies packing it as part of their product.
Buy from us to demonstrate that you care about miniorities.

Then the rabble of privledged white males complaining about not appropriating minority culture also gives them free advertising. And also masks the racism of the said white males.

I long for the days where you racists had to actually come out and say, no i do not want that coloured person to have the same rights as me, now you can simply voice disgust at companies not using cultures as mascots.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Rational thinking? What’s the rationale in favour for not taking the opportunity to be less exclusive?

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Wow...nobody saw this coming.

Hot on the heels of the much vaunted Heckler, spy photos have emerged of the new Santa Cruz Remedy being put through its paces...

Seriously though, anyone lost a Remedy, they guy riding this looked suss as not sure you'd want it back though to be honest.
wouldn't be too hard to find out who this is, just look back and see who purchased a bike stand in the last 3 years, can't be that many!

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rational thinking? What’s the rationale in favour for not taking the opportunity to be less exclusive?
I can't afford a Yeti, but isn't the whole point of the 'tribe' in this case to be exclusive? As in, we (marketing we) want you to feel special, we want to feel separated from other mountain bikers, part of something that defines you/makes you better (insert wank term of your choice).
Weirdly enough, the two strongest words that pop into my head for group inclusion that don't sound stupid or sinister are 'tribe' and 'mob'. Based on region, I wonder whether if Yeti switched to 'mob' would anyone care; while in Australia it would certainly be seen as a non-no and we'd likely be more comfortable with 'tribe' for the most part.
Gang, group and crew all sound pretty stupid or probably conjure up the wrong image that Yeti was going for. Did they actually change the name or just drop the concept? I can't find anything on their site.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
I can't afford a Yeti, but isn't the whole point of the 'tribe' in this case to be exclusive? As in, we (marketing we) want you to feel special, we want to feel separated from other mountain bikers, part of something that defines you/makes you better (insert wank term of your choice).
Weirdly enough, the two strongest words that pop into my head for group inclusion that don't sound stupid or sinister are 'tribe' and 'mob'. Based on region, I wonder whether if Yeti switched to 'mob' would anyone care; while in Australia it would certainly be seen as a non-no and we'd likely be more comfortable with 'tribe' for the most part.
Gang, group and crew all sound pretty stupid or probably conjure up the wrong image that Yeti was going for. Did they actually change the name or just drop the concept? I can't find anything on their site.
He means exclusive in terms of the 'other'.

IMO they should just play into the joke and use something like association.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Yeah definitely, but the whole point is there are other words that they can use to continue their “insiders” claim to market exclusivity without reinforcing broader cultural/societal exclusivities. Yeti Family/Crew/Squad (yuck)/whatever

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I dont buy into the assumption that it is now any more inclusive than it already was. Language changes and has a flexibility to it which this decision doesn't allow for. Tribe currently has a positive connotation/definition and was being used in a culturally positive way.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
I dont buy into the assumption that it is now any more inclusive than it already was. Language changes and has a flexibility to it which this decision doesn't allow for. Tribe currently has a positive connotation/definition and was being used in a culturally positive way.
The problem is that it reserves universality for people who identify with western culture.

Whilst it was associated with those that lived a more uncivilised life, 'Tribe' is now more commonly associated with the other who lives a more simplistic life, more connected with their environment, they have a more interpsonal relationship with their neighbour etc.
However it still places the minority firmly in the camp of the other and true culture can only really be held by a westerner as only we have the ability to view it from the top down and assimilate the things we deem to be of worth.

We westerners should learn to be more like the tribal people. They are so wise sips starbucks late and in tune with mother earth hops on to $16k yeti and rides off into machine cut trails.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
new yeti arc hardtail most expensive hardtail ever, like the yellow but 10000 euro? who is yeti kidding? run of 100
67deg ha, 75 seat; 130mm fox34, custom chris king trim. sram ax’s..who’s to pony up $16000 cos they just gotta have one/.
View attachment 365146
A true reissue would have somehow included the loop stays and sliding drops as a real nod.

This just looks like a catalogue carbon frame with a paint job and poorly matched turq ano.
The CK Turq clashes with their custom parts.. ugh.