Derailleur setup advice

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Gday , just after some trouble shooting advice,

Im no mechanical expert, mostly tend to use mechanics ,

Have a XO derailleur , all other parts of the drivetrain are NX ,

I can get the derailleur running and shifting smooth, but after an hour or so in to a ride, the chain pops off at the smaller end of the cassette when shifting at that end , screw the limit screw in a little , fine for a while , then repeat,

Just after advice to what is probably causing it ?

Cheers

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
When riding, there's a huge delay in getting into the smallest cog so I watched a video on rear derailleurs and what the barrel adjuster is, B tension and limit screws do so I can adjust my gears.

I mounted the bike on the new stand.... all gears work perfectly?

Is there something about being on the bike that affects cable tension or something?

moorey

call me Mia
When riding, there's a huge delay in getting into the smallest cog so I watched a video on rear derailleurs and what the barrel adjuster is, B tension and limit screws do so I can adjust my gears.

Is there something about being on the bike that affects cable tension or something?
Possibly. Does it kink or pull on the cable with your weight compressing?
Also, tweak barrel adjuster while riding if your limit screws and B are set fine...assuming they are without seeing your setup.

creaky

XMAS Plumper

Just wind you high limit screw out a quarter turn I reckon.

HamboCairns

I'll try the barrel adjuster first, then mess with the high limit screw next. Derailleurs are still a bit voodoo to me, there's a lot of parameters and it can all go wrong if you mess too much!

Minlak

custom titis
If it's only delaying into the smallest cog, then it's unlikely to be a cable tension issue. I'd start with a limit tweak.
Possibly sticky cable though - lowest cog technically has no tension on cable - or possibly cable too tight when first configured

moorey

call me Mia
Possibly sticky cable though - lowest cog technically has no tension on cable - or possibly cable too tight when first configured
Least amount of spring tension in smallest. Any kink or friction will be most impactful there.

HamboCairns

The easy gear (lower limit?) screw was wobbling but still technically doing its job. I tightened it a bit and it's now secure.

I adjusted the hard gear (upper limit?) screw so we'll see how that goes on the road.

Is it normal for the exposed bit of cable that goes into the derailleur to be slightly loose when in the hardest gear, ie not tensioned?