Newly Released Bikes General

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Had a look at the 99bikes 2021 bike menu and looks like the price of everything as creeped another couple of hundred dollarydoos. As an example Nocrco with the entire line of Sight up $500 per model and offerring basically the exact same spec and frame.

I thought our dollar got stronger? COVID tax really that high.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Had a look at the 99bikes 2021 bike menu and looks like the price of everything as creeped another couple of hundred dollarydoos. As an example Nocrco with the entire line of Sight up $500 per model and offerring basically the exact same spec and frame.

There was another post on here discussing how it works. But to summarise, the bikes were ordered months ago, the manufacturers work in $US requiring payment at that time, this then locks in retail pricing 4-6months in the future and based on recent currency fluctuations Aussie has been screwed...

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
There is rumoured to be a Trance X 29 with 135/150 travel dropping in two weeks.
The rumour doesn't quite match the reality.... The Trance X is variable geometry moreso than variable travel.; it uses offset "flip chip" inserts to connect the rear end to the upper rocker. Flipping the chip either extends or lowers the back end relative to the mainframe, thus tweaking the head angle. I'm not mathemagically-minded enough to work ot if that also affects travel.....

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The rumour doesn't quite match the reality.... The Trance X is variable geometry moreso than variable travel.; it uses offset "flip chip" inserts to connect the rear end to the upper rocker. Flipping the chip either extends or lowers the back end relative to the mainframe, thus tweaking the head angle. I'm not mathemagically-minded enough to work ot if that also affects travel.....
I think bear meant 135 rear 150 front travel.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas

Freight costs have risen too.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's wrong with the knock block?
Have a 2019 Fuel EX, often cart it in the back of a Camry station wagon and the only thing I've found annoying about Knock Block is if you want to change the stem - I should have got the 60mm stem changed before taking it out of the shop but it didn't seem too long at the time.
I made notches in a RaceFace stem to suit but they started to open up wider (must be soft alloy) so I ended up forking out for a Bongtrager stem. Buying an OEM stem with a bling price didn't impress me at all.
The only real grumble I have about the bike is the limited seatpost insertion depth, ML size comes with a 125mm dropper. Very limited choice of posts that will fit and suit my seat height.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Knock block would of saved my steel hardtail from a big ding in the top tube from the shifter, when I binned it hard...
Funnily enough Knock Block wasn't designed for top tube protection or avoiding smearing your shifter / dropper post lever off in a crash - it was actually for the downtube. Trek created a super straight shot downtube that they claimed was stiffer than Robert Trump, but the design downside of all that impregnable arrow straight stiffness was the top of the forks would foul it in a crash, hence knock block to stop that excess rotation.

I've seen some fixes to get around it, including using a thicker lower cup on the headset or spacers or something so the forks can clear the downtube (and raise the front end / make the bike slacker?)
It was a solution to a problem that Trek created then found a solution for.
Amended.

Hal-9000

Likes Dirt
It was a solution to a problem that never existed.
I actually really like the knock block. As has been mentioned above, it does serve a purpose.
The reason I like it is because you never have to worry about your bars or levers hitting the top tube and ruining your frame in a crash as I have had happen before.
I ride really tight single track with plenty of switchbacks and never felt the knockblock get in the way. The way i see it, a bar that is allowed to hit the frame is a design flaw. Imagine if your car chassis got damaged from turning your wheel to full lock....the design would be recalled.

Getting onto Giant, I like the look of the new TranceX 29 but why the hell is there no TranceX1 being brought into Australia?
I've had carbon frames and now back on alloy. I won't be going back to carbon so Giant's theory that only carbon models deserve good parts is so last decade. My local Giant dealer has warrantied that many Giant carbon MTB frames over the years, you'd think it would save them a lot of hassle and money by getting more people on alloy.......unless there are extremely over inflated profits to be had in the great 'carbon con'?

nelsti

Likes Bikes
Getting onto Giant, I like the look of the new TranceX 29 but why the hell is there no TranceX1 being brought into Australia?
I recall someone asked this in the chat on Flows Mountain Bikes Facebook live video unveliing, the Giant rep in the chat said the 1 wouldn't be coming to Australia but the reason why would "be made clearer later in year" and to "watch this space".

Hal-9000

Likes Dirt
I recall someone asked this in the chat on Flows Mountain Bikes Facebook live video unveliing, the Giant rep in the chat said the 1 wouldn't be coming to Australia but the reason why would "be made clearer later in year" and to "watch this space".
Probably because they will have a carbon model for a similar price but with lesser components. Giant think we all want carbon. Giant are wrong.
For a start, I'll choose higher level suspension components over carbon every day of the week.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So it isn't coming to Australia because hype? They must have the same pr team as bike park being developed near Sydney...