Confessions from the fuckwits

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Didn't know Surly made folding bikes.

Roof racks need proximity alerts. Or a sensor that tells the car to slam on the brakes before your bike, car and rack get trashed.

I'm glad I'm too short to get a bike on a roof rack!

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
It'll be a weapon around right handers now though! It's just if you want to turn left you'll need to turn right 270ish degrees...

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
KARATE CHOP!
Too soon? Sorry for your loss
Nah, never too soon

Plus side is insurance has it covered so currently speccing a replacement. Sadly they don’t make colour any more (I loved that yellow) and also I’ve busted one of the Limited edition blue Pauls Klampers
So now I have one calliper and two levers, and can’t get a replacement for it....

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
So now I have one calliper and two levers, and can’t get a replacement for it....
On the plus side you can spec the new bike with hydraulic brakes that also actually work instead of just scoring hipster points :p

Sorry to see the Tonka truck go like that... Do much damage to the car (beyond the squashed spoiler)?

cammas

Seamstress
Nah, never too soon

Plus side is insurance has it covered so currently speccing a replacement. Sadly they don’t make colour any more (I loved that yellow) and also I’ve busted one of the Limited edition blue Pauls Klampers
The wet clay looks good and so does the portapotty blue, do they still do purple as purple is always good.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Columbus rigid gravel fork (flame it on). It said unpainted. I took that as having no decals. Nope literally bare carbon, not even clearcoat.
Ah. They get used a lot by custom frame builders so makes sense. As above if you keep it rather than send it back, that Spray.Bike paint is really good. I did 2 coats black one coat clear on a carbon CX fork a few years back that did daily commuter duty for ages in all conditions and it held up perfectly. Also is a pretty dry "powdery" paint so pretty easy to paint without runs etc.

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The wet clay looks good and so does the portapotty blue, do they still do purple as purple is always good.
Not a fan of the wet clay, but the Porta Potty Blue is pretty nice. So that’s going to be the replacement.

On the plus side you can spec the new bike with hydraulic brakes that also actually work instead of just scoring hipster points :p

Sorry to see the Tonka truck go like that... Do much damage to the car (beyond the squashed spoiler)?

Haha, definitely hipster points, but they were actually really good brakes.
Not as powerful as hydros, but for a bikepacking bike you don’t really need that much stopping power. Plus you can fix them trail said far more easily than hydro.

All that being said, I’m probably putting Hopes on the replacement
Cause hipster + power = winning

Thankfully just a ding in the spoiler and a scratch in the roof.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Not a fan of the wet clay, but the Porta Potty Blue is pretty nice. So that’s going to be the replacement.

Haha, definitely hipster points, but they were actually really good brakes.
Not as powerful as hydros, but for a bikepacking bike you don’t really need that much stopping power. Plus you can fix them trail said far more easily than hydro.

All that being said, I’m probably putting Hopes on the replacement
Cause hipster + power = winning

Thankfully just a ding in the spoiler and a scratch in the roof.
Looks like an underground car park. Must be cameras. Have you pulled the film yet?
Would make for some interesting if not traumatic viewing!

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I've been such a fool...

For the last 3-4 years, I've been running super low tyre pressures on my bikes. My thinking had been lower pressure = more rubber on the ground = better grip, but turns out there's more to it than that. I'd gone so low that my tyres were squishing really badly in corners, leading to slower speeds and lack of control.

When I rode the Sight on Tuesday, with the new rear rim and tougher casing tyre, I increased the pressure, and it made a hell of a difference. Went from 22F/25R to 24F/35R. The 35 was probably too much, because now it feels really harsh over rocks, and even started bouncing off them at one point. Next ride I'll go down to 32 and see how it goes. But it was much quicker and more precise through corners, and didn't feel like I was sacrificing grip, which I was worried about.

Then yesterday I tried the same on the LaPierre 29er, going from 23F/26R to 26F/30R. Again, a big difference in cornering. Turns out the bike had been understeering the whole time, because I was oversteering at first, until I got used to it.

So for this whole time, I thought my sucktitude through corners was the result of being fat and unskilled, when really, it's simply because I was a fuckwit. I feel a right tit.