Rock Shox Deluxe tuning options

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I'm running the stock Rock Shox Deluxe R debonair (190 x 45) in my Norco Fluid and aren't really getting along with it.

The thing just feels lifeless, and to me is too slow in both rebound and compression. Running rebound wide open, and at its slowest setting you could measure rebound with an hour glass.

At around 30-35% sag I'm not using full travel on a typical trail ride.

Is it possible to go to a lighter oil in the shock, and would that speed up compression and rebound?

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Ive had the super deluxe ( actually have it now on a nukeproof mega) and had the deluxe on a trek remedy ,

Found the deluxe worked best full of tokens and less air pressure ,just found it ramped up nicer , the super deluxe has a much more natural progressive feel and more life and support midstroke , but also Im not sure how much of that is the different bikes coming into play .

link1896

Mr Greenfield
What tune is the shock? Changing shim packages for different tunes is the solution you’re after. Really easy with rockshox, parts are available, videos published on YouTube showing you how to, along with official service guides.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
What tune is the shock? Changing shim packages for different tunes is the solution you’re after. Really easy with rockshox, parts are available, videos published on YouTube showing you how to, along with official service guides.
MM.

If I have a lighter tune on compression, am I right in expecting that for the same sag I'd be using more of the travel (all else being equal)?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
MM.

If I have a lighter tune on compression, am I right in expecting that for the same sag I'd be using more of the travel (all else being equal)?
Yes.

An even better option would be Tractive tune from NS Dynamics. But for the cost of that you would have to start wondering whether you would be better off with a more sophisticated shock like a CCDB, Dpx2 or X2.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Yes.

An even better option would be Tractive tune from NS Dynamics. But for the cost of that you would have to start wondering whether you would be better off with a more sophisticated shock like a CCDB, Dpx2 or X2.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Yeah, I don't feel the need to go that far, just hoping to lighten the tune up a bit.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Going back a few steps here.

Slow rebound but bottoming out and deep in stroke. Have you experimented with air pressures and volume reducers?

Found other riders of similar weight on the same bike and same shock riding the same style and compared notes?

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Going back a few steps here.

Slow rebound but bottoming out and deep in stroke. Have you experimented with air pressures and volume reducers?

Found other riders of similar weight on the same bike and same shock riding the same style and compared notes?
I'm not bottoming out, at 30-35% sag I'm really only getting to ~70% out on the trails.

Rebound is close to what I like at wide open. It's the heavy compression that is bothering my more, although lightening that up would probably leave me wanting slightly quicker rebound too.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
30-35% sag and not using full travel suggests too much ramp up (too many tokens or too small an aircan). Feeling lifeless suggests overdamped (too much rebound damping and maybe too much compression damping).

As @komdotcom says, give it an aircan service. When you're in there, remove any tokens. Run it at 30-35% sag with all adjusters wide open and see if you can easily get full travel.

With less tokens you should need more air pressure so your rebound damping might come back into the range of the adjuster. More air pressure also means the shock can store and return more energy so it will feel more lively.

If this doesn't help then you will need to lighten the tune. You can buy a complete LL piston assembly and swap it it or just remove shims from your MM tune to get to the LL tune. As @link1896 says there's plenty of info on that online.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
30-35% sag and not using full travel suggests too much ramp up (too many tokens or too small an aircan). Feeling lifeless suggests overdamped (too much rebound damping and maybe too much compression damping).

As @komdotcom says, give it an aircan service. When you're in there, remove any tokens. Run it at 30-35% sag with all adjusters wide open and see if you can easily get full travel.

With less tokens you should need more air pressure so your rebound damping might come back into the range of the adjuster. More air pressure also means the shock can store and return more energy so it will feel more lively.

If this doesn't help then you will need to lighten the tune. You can buy a complete LL piston assembly and swap it it or just remove shims from your MM tune to get to the LL tune. As @link1896 says there's plenty of info on that online.
Great, thanks for that. Been watching some service videos online so that all looks reasonably straight forward.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Haven't pulled the shock apart to check tokens yet, but did grab a new Suntour Raidon shock for $50 as an experiment.

It's a longer stroke than stock (190x51 vs 190x45).

To compare:

RS Deluxe 255psi, 14mm sag (~30%). Front yard jumps using 30mm travel.

SR Raidon 190psi, 13mm sag (~25%). Front yard jumps using 38mm travel.

Raidon is far more active, to the extent there is some noticeable bob. I don't really mind that, if the suspension is doing its job it should bob a little.

Rebound complete opposite of stock, actually too quick. Sadly not adjustable on this shock...

The other issue is there's less than 1mm clearance between the seatstay bridge and the seat tube which is too close for comfort.

I guess this has confirmed my thinking that the stock Deluxe is over damped. Raidon isn't the answer either (as expected) but I'm not sure where I'm going to go from here. Tempted to look around for another 190*51 and sort the clearance issue out somehow. The linkage gets even more progressive with the extra stroke which I don't mind.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Sounds like you really should start with checking the volume token situation. If you’re running 30% sag and not getting through the travel then it’s ramping up too much. Raidon sounds much more linear.

Checking the token situation takes less time than swapping shocks so...

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Sounds like you really should start with checking the volume token situation. If you’re running 30% sag and not getting through the travel then it’s ramping up too much. Raidon sounds much more linear.

Checking the token situation takes less time than swapping shocks so...
Do I not need to relube etc to that?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Nope.
Let the air out.

Depending on accessibility of the shock in your frame, disconnect one end of the shock from the frame.

Twist off the air can using rubber gloves, or a strap wrench.

Look up into the top for little funny shaped spacers that clip in.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
As above, super easy. It’s just the air can and you can often do it without even taking the shock off the frame (though obviously it’s easier and less cramped if you do so). All of 15 minutes to check before you go spending money on a new shock/retune/shim set etc.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
That was easy, cheers guys.

It had 2 tokens so I've pulled them both. Feels a little better but not exactly lively. Will see how it goes Thursday night out on the trails and go from there.
You might find you can up the pressure a bit to get ~25% sag and a bit more “pop” while still getting closer to full travel with the reduced progressiveness. Anyway you’ll get more of an idea once you can take it for a spin so good luck!

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Also, try setting air pressure by how the bike feels rather than a particular sag percentage. Set the rebound to minimum and bunny hop round the backyard at various pressures until you arrive at something that feels good. At that point you can then use the sag % to see if aircan mods are required. Eg. If sag was 40% you'd need more volume spacers if its 10% then you need a higher volume air can.