Shimano Saints brakes

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yeah nah. Hopes are pretty simple in comparison to the witchcraft you shimano plebs need to employ to get consistent feel. Screw the thing in no out no in ah fuck it sacrifice to the gods and work must be carried out as the moon reaches it’s zenith on the 7th of every second month unless that month ends in y.

Hopes are just finicky about rotor alignment. Dot fluid isn’t that bad, you sheeple just fell for mineral oil propaganda paid for by baby oil companies. FU Johnson's, stay outta cycling.

Excuse me while I go order a piston service kit that’s in stock, in Australia. Not because I need to, just because I can.

teK--

Eats Squid
I have tried and tested. My method gives me an absolute rock solid and consistent feel.
Lol @Minlak. Anyone who dabbles in hope brakes and their famously difficult and convoluted process is already playing. Full disclosure, I haven’t used them since 2004, but 9/10 people seem to have seem to have less trouble solving a Rubik’s cube blindfolded.
I can bleed Hope brakes no problem but I cannot solve a Rubiks cube even without a blindfold... Maybe my cube is broken

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Nope. Lever all the way out, screw (XT/Saint) all the way in.
Otherwise, you got it.
No. Adjusting lever adjusts only the lever position, totally independent of the master piston.

Stroke adjust screw backed out to maximise system volume. Bleed. Adjust stroke screw to advance piston/reduce stroke as desired, then set lever reach.

It's one-way cross adjustment; tweaking the stroke adjustment pulls/pushes the lever in or out 'cos it moves the master piston in the bore on a set pushrod length. Tweaking the reach knob only moves the lever on the pushrod - it has exactly zero effect on master piston position and cylinder/ system volume.
No pin the lever to the bars with a bit of Velcro tape put the screw halfway in - make sure it isn’t halfway out though has to be halfway in and then sacrifice a goat.....

I wanted to play too
It doesn't really matter which one of these methods you use, It will always feel better than SRAM.

moorey

call me Mia
Hope V4’s retailed the same as shimano XT four pots when I bought mine locally.
The 4 pots are definitely suffering from COVID tax, I’ll pay you that. M8000 full sets were $170 posted 12 months ago. Even those are around $300 now if you can find them locally.
I’d still buy 4pot XT over similar hope, and not because I’m a fan boy.

Ultra Lord

The 4 pots are definitely suffering from COVID tax, I’ll pay you that. M8000 full sets were $170 posted 12 months ago. Even those are around $300 now if you can find them locally.
I’d still buy 4pot XT over similar hope, and not because I’m a fan boy.
Enjoy the pagan rituals every time a bleed’s needed.

I bought my hopes when 4pot xt’s came out. No covid tax at that time, price was still the same.

moorey

call me Mia
Enjoy the pagan rituals every time a bleed’s needed.

I bought my hopes when 4pot xt’s came out. No covid tax at that time, price was still the same.
:p
Full bleed takes me about 5 minutes total with a $5 kit. Are you in denial about the 1000’s of threads on people finding hope brakes impossible to bleed?

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
:p
Full bleed takes me about 5 minutes total with a $5 kit. Are you in denial about the 1000’s of threads on people finding hope brakes impossible to bleed?
Plenty of fuckwits out there who can't bleed Shimano brakes. I have both and find the bleed process takes me the same. And I'd rather pay the extra $10 for this than this so that when I inevitably drop the funnel on the workshop floor and/or stomp on it, it survives.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
LOL. $5 funnel, $1 syringe. Anyone paying $30 for that doesn't deserve good braking.
If you are experienced enough to know that a generic funnel/ syringe works then I'm betting you won't have an issue bleeding your brakes regardless of the brand.

moorey

call me Mia
If you are experienced enough to know that a generic funnel/ syringe works then I'm betting you won't have an issue bleeding your brakes regardless of the brand.
Oh, I use a proper genuine funnel. Bought for $5 each. Syringes I buy off ebay, 20 and 50ml for a couple of dollars a pack (use for both bleeds and sealant). Length of hose from bunnings. A metre lasts for years.

Ultra Lord

Must have sacrificed enough goats, preyed to the rights goods and sang the right tunes whilst holding my tongue in the correct position as I think I have got myself a pretty good bleed
Tongue position is key. Get that sorted and you can forget about the goats.
Glad it’s sorted.