Wheel Build Advice Thread

PJO

in me vL comy
Dt Swiss, xr400
I think the 721 is a slightly taller profile so likely to require slightly shorter spokes. Better to have slightly longer spokes than shorter so you might just get away with reusing the spokes if they are in reasonable condition.

safreek

OK guys, probably a moronic question, when I have a crack at the wheel build should I have the mavic sticker facing the brake side like in the photo or the drive side.
Feel free to (try) and humiliate me over thus

CHEWY

Eats Squid
I'm constantly breaking spokes - I'm up to 2 this week and 7 total in the last 3-4 months since I got the bike. Its a 2018 scott genius 940 with 1.8mm spokes.
I've had to keep an eye on the spoke tension since I got the bike and come to think of it it had a broken spoke when I got it.
Am I doing something wrong? Getting pretty over it. Wont be long and I'll have replaced them all with 2.0mm spokes anyway.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I'm constantly breaking spokes - I'm up to 2 this week and 7 total in the last 3-4 months since I got the bike. Its a 2018 scott genius 940 with 1.8mm spokes.
I've had to keep an eye on the spoke tension since I got the bike and come to think of it it had a broken spoke when I got it.
Am I doing something wrong? Getting pretty over it. Wont be long and I'll have replaced them all with 2.0mm spokes anyway.
Replace them all, where are they breaking ?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Are they straight-gauge 1.8 or double-butted to 2mm at the ends?

Also, what tension are you running, and aluminium or carbon rim?

PJO

in me vL comy
1.8mm spokes are very light, use double butted 2mm/1.8mm or 2mm straight guage. Is your weight heavy or light? Is this the back wheel?

Rebuild the whole wheel forget about replacing individual spokes, especially if your not matching like for like, if the rim is looking beat get a new one while your at it.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
82kg, back wheel, rim is good...
I will replace the lot... Do I do the rest with the same straight 2.0mm from the LBS @ $2 ea? Or should I get a set or something better?
Just want it to be reliable and not constantly replacing spokes/tensioning