Cheap Droppers

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Talk to me about cheap not shit droppers.
I'm finalising the build for the young huckwits Commencal Meta Christmas Edition but for the life of me can't make up my mind on a dropper. His current bike as a Brand X on it but the anodising has worn off the stanchion already and the remote is a complete pile of shit.
I've got an X-Fusion on one of my bikes and it's a ripper but you can't get them anywhere at the moment. My other bike has a V2 OneUp on it but it's not the greatest (stiff, rattles) and out of stock not to mention the $340 without a remote.
So what am I left with? Not a fan of KS, wouldn't buy a Reverb unless it was nearly free and the Fox and DVO stuff is far too spendy for a young huckwit to treat like shit.
I could get myself a new dropper for my Paradox and he can use the X-Fusion but I can't think of what' I'd replace it with, but it's an excuse to upgrade!
Am I really going to get another Brand X?
Reply here with your discounted Bike Yokes.......

PJO

in me vL comy
What don't you like about KS.
I'm running the same Lev now for 3 years and I bought it second hand, hardly had anything done to it...

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A KSLev is in the $400 bracket so real money, at that price I'm getting a Bike Yoke for me and he can have my X-Fusion
Righto - CRC or wiggle for the BrandX I suppose?

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can do you an E13 4 posn dropper for cheap.
31.6mm. comes with e13 lever and mount for SRAM
Similar to this https://www.ethirteen.com/products/trs-seatpost
Came off a Capra purchased new August last year. Think it was used for 2 rides. I wasn't a fan of the pre-set drops, but if that's your thing they're a good post

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I've got ks rage-i. Budget KS post, and been no trouble for past year. Just serviced it, and simple AF to open and clean.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
budget KS have some quirks, but there is good local support for them and I'm overall happy with mine.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've the One Up Components V2 droppers on my bikes.
The Prime has a PNW Loam Lever and it's so very smooth.

On the Remedy and Paradox I've got a Bontrager lever and it's ok but always feels stiff on the first use.

Second and thereafter are fine. But as soon as I want to drop it for the next descent, it's stiff again, it's like you have to prepare it before you need it. The PNW is always smooth.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Not sure what you regard as cheap, but I just picked up one of these...

Looking at a similar price compared to the big drop Brand-x posts.

moorey

call me Mia
Not sure what you regard as cheap, but I just picked up one of these...

Looking at a similar price compared to the big drop Brand-x posts.
Some PNW’s are a rebranded brandx/transx @Hipstar s 125mm was.

madstace

Likes Dirt
Giant dropper comes with lever - works well - around the $230 mark
Giant posts are probably the absolute last option I'd go with. Total garbage, not worth the money. Surprised to hear the OPs issues with the BrandX. I dont exactly look after mine and it's still going pretty good. It's definitely improved with a premium lever like the Wolftooth.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I've had three Brand-X droppers, two internal and now one external.

One was perfect, one went spongy in short order, and the most recent one is paradoxically both a bit stiff to actuate and a little loose in the bushings. Point being they're cheap, but so is the QC process. If you chance a good one they're great, but in my limited sample size hardly a consistent option. More worryingly, I've listed them in order of purchase from a few years ago, to a month or so ago. I'd probably still buy another if budget-minded, but just be aware it might be good to keep a rigid seat-post in the garage too in-case of warranty/repairs being req'd.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have only heard bad things about Giant droppers. Seizing after a couple rides, large amount of play, rattles, bushing failures.. Someone I know has gone through 4 in a couple months, each being a warranty replacement.