Fork offset, trail and head angles. I’m confused...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
There will never be any baseline comparisons IMHO.

Between all the minor differences in offset, anglesets, hi/lo linkage settings, suspension settings, tyre pressures, tyre sizes, stem and handlebar positions to name a few. Easily turns into a whole complicated bunch of smaller differences into a mostly immeasurable big nothing.

If it feels good then you are on the right track :) Ride your bike and enjoy the sunshine.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Between all the minor differences in offset, anglesets, hi/lo linkage settings, suspension settings, tyre pressures, tyre sizes, stem and handlebar positions to name a few. Easily turns into a whole complicated bunch of smaller differences into a mostly immeasurable big nothing.
My new bike has a 44 offset on it after years on a 51 on the old bike - but with the different travel, head angle, reach and stack, I have absolutely no idea how much the offset is doing. If pros doing back to back testing on the same frame struggle to pick it up, no way am I going to.

IMO.

Minlak

custom titis
Smaller offset will mean the overall length of the bike will be shorter - Shorter wheelbase will see the bike turn corners faster but be super unstable on the straights.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Smaller offset will mean the overall length of the bike will be shorter - Shorter wheelbase will see the bike turn corners faster but be super unstable on the straights.
I'm assuming joking, but if not - time to do some reading on "trail" figures in steering geometry.

For my 2c, I like the reduced offset on slacker bikes with shorter stems, but prefer the standard offset on steeper XC-ish bikes. Won't make the bike unrideable either way, but there is nuanced differences with how the steering responds to input.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
For my 2c, I like the reduced offset on slacker bikes with shorter stems, but prefer the standard offset on steeper XC-ish bikes. Won't make the bike unrideable either way, but there is nuanced differences with how the steering responds to input.
As 'D-day' approaches for December delivery, I was still thinking about the Med or large decision.

A few days ago I found that #1 sons M/L Trek Remedy 8 was near on the geo of the Med Highlander in the measurements that were concerning me.

Last night I fitted a 50mm stem and moved the seatpost. Spot on :) and a sigh of relief.

Tonight I will pump up the shock and fork, then take it for a ride. Just cut his bars from 800 to 770 a few days ago too :rolleyes:

The increased stack will be welcome too.

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
As 'D-day' approaches for December delivery, I was still thinking about the Med or large decision.

A few days ago I found that #1 sons M/L Trek Remedy 8 was near on the geo of the Med Highlander in the measurements that were concerning me.

Last night I fitted a 50mm stem and moved the seatpost. Spot on :) and a sight of relief.

Tonight I will pump up the shock and fork, then take it for a ride. Just cut his bars from 800 to 770 a few days ago too :rolleyes:

The increased stack will be welcome too.

View attachment 369702
Listen to this guy, trust what he says: ;)
Got a 51mm offset, 160mm fork on my SC currently, I struggle with front wheel traction without hanging over the front in a position that does not feel natural to me.

On paper, a short offset fork of ~42mm would bring the wheel closer to me. Would have liked to have tried one to see if it made any difference.
No, but it would help a little bit. The fact I have chosen a large frame with a short 33mm stem is the main issue.

The other is adjusting my riding position.

Long forks, big offsets and short stems are making bikes 'chopper' like, shifting the weight balance towards the back of the bike.

This is what it has done in my case.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Nah, we've had the same hub standards for almost four years now. That's boring. Time for a new one that's slightly different to an existing one yet not even slightly compatible and will be adopted by every manufacturer within two weeks.
If there was such a thing as the upside of Covid, the world is short of bikes and parts that they have already dreamed up and pushed upon us.

Hopefully there won't be much 'innovation' anytime soon.

PJO

in me vL comy
If there was such a thing as the upside of Covid, the world is short of bikes and parts that they have already dreamed up and pushed upon us.

Hopefully there won't be much 'innovation' anytime soon.
The only innovation required right now is how to speed up manufacturing and distribution.