Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Oh, Straya - you never cease to let me down...

Transport is only part of the issue. If you remove the electricity sector from the equation, Australia’s scorecard is ugly. Climate Analytics calculated that the combined emissions output from the rest of the economy is projected to be 13% higher in 2030 than 2005.

Given electricity is only about a third of national emissions, this is a major problem. It leaves the country miles away from the government’s claimed goal of one day reaching net zero emissions, and with no path to get there.
Seriously.

Science says we urgently need to do one thing, we ignore than & do another. And expect a good outcome.

Fucking hell we are stupid.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur

Flow-Rider

Burner
Nothing to worry about, it's just a "King Tide." And people's beachfront properties are falling into the sea because councils won't build seawalls. And Black Summer was because of all those arsonists. Everything's fine.

In a word, yes.
I've been led to believe the clubhouse has been there since the 1950's but even the northern tip of Bribie island is starting to be cut off.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

Statement#1:

“We’ve had eight years straight of failed summer rains. If things keep going the way they are a lot of the inland of this country will be unusable for agriculture.”
Statement#2:

Rayner says life is “extremely challenging” for people whose properties had not had much rain: “Many primary producers are supplementary feeding their cattle. This is expensive and extremely onerous.

Statement#3:

“Australia is fast-gaining an appalling international reputation on climate action, falling way behind on so many climate indicators,” said Bill Hare, CEO of Climate Analytics. “The only high ratings it appears to have received in this assessment is for economic losses from climate impacts, and as one of the countries most exposed to days over 35˚C.”
The report finds Australia:
  • With South Korea and Canada, is one of three countries most off track to meet their already unambitious Paris Agreement pledge (NDC);
  • Has increased fossil fuels in its total primary energy supply since last year;
  • Has the second most carbon-intensive energy sector in the G20, a reflection of the high share of fossil fuels in the energy mix
  • Has a per capita energy supply more than twice the G20 average
  • Has among the highest transport emissions per capita in the G20, with no significant fuel efficiency standards for light duty vehicles, and little commitment to public transport;
  • Has among the highest flight emissions per capita – it has 53 times higher per capita emissions from aviation than India;
  • Is one of the three countries with the highest buildings emissions per capita (with US and Saudi Arabia);
  • Has no policies to stop deforestation.
Who wants a Ranger & a McMansion?

mark22

Likes Dirt
Nothing to worry about, it's just a "King Tide." And people's beachfront properties are falling into the sea because councils won't build seawalls. And Black Summer was because of all those arsonists. Everything's fine.

In a word, yes.
Scientifically speaking there no such thing as a King tide the correct term for the highest tides are Spring tides which are in January and around July. So the highest tide is yet to come in January hopefully it won't coincide with a storm surge but in Qld it is Storm/cyclone season after all.

Beach erosion is a natural phenomena a case in point would be the twelve (or less) apostles in Victoria as an example. Beach erosion on main beach Byron Bay has been happening for years due to headland sand bypass, a natural process.

I guess my point is not attributing everything to climate change, sure it's happening but every natural phenomena/disaster seems to be blamed on it.
If your multi million dollar property is built on the sand ajacaint to the beach proper it may become an apostle or should we fight nature with rocks and sandbags so you can have your veiw ?

It's about working with nature not trying to tame it, be it flood, fire or drought.
On a positive note best grain harvest in NSW, EVER this year.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Scientifically speaking there no such thing as a King tide the correct term for the highest tides are Spring tides which are in January and around July. So the highest tide is yet to come in January hopefully it won't coincide with a storm surge but in Qld it is Storm/cyclone season after all.

Beach erosion is a natural phenomena a case in point would be the twelve (or less) apostles in Victoria as an example. Beach erosion on main beach Byron Bay has been happening for years due to headland sand bypass, a natural process.

I guess my point is not attributing everything to climate change, sure it's happening but every natural phenomena/disaster seems to be blamed on it.
If your multi million dollar property is built on the sand ajacaint to the beach proper it may become an apostle or should we fight nature with rocks and sandbags so you can have your veiw ?

It's about working with nature not trying to tame it, be it flood, fire or drought.
On a positive note best grain harvest in NSW, EVER this year.
Did you read this article?

It contains science'n'shit.

Your comments only tell half the story.

Why does everyone like to ignore scientific modelling?

Scotty T

Walks the walk

First of all this is fighting sea level rise caused by climate change, not "working with nature". Frequency and severity of this natural phenomenon (beach erosion) is being caused by climate change, sea levels are rising (severity) and the planet is wamring (frequency). It's very simple.

Here's a couple of links to research from a decade or so ago on the subject of planned retreat (our only real option) in SEQ communities, you only need to read the abstracts to understand how difficult the socio-political aspects are. Deflecting blame to "just nature" doesn't help.

mark22

Likes Dirt
First of all this is fighting sea level rise caused by climate change, not "working with nature". Frequency and severity of this natural phenomenon (beach erosion) is being caused by climate change, sea levels are rising (severity) and the planet is wamring (frequency). It's very simple.

Here's a couple of links to research from a decade or so ago on the subject of planned retreat (our only real option) in SEQ communities, you only need to read the abstracts to understand how difficult the socio-political aspects are. Deflecting blame to "just nature" doesn't help.

Ahhhh the unwinable debate, if you think some recent storm damage is attributed to climate change your knowledge of pre industrial age weather events is incomplete.
Climate change is real and we have to work with it. It is a natural phenomena greatly accelerated by us.
I'm doing my bit I generate twice as much electricity than I use for 10 years now and collect 90% of my own water.
How about you guys?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Ahhhh the unwinable debate, if you think some recent storm damage is attributed to climate change your knowledge of pre industrial age weather events is incomplete.
Climate change is real and we have to work with it. It is a natural phenomena greatly accelerated by us.
I'm doing my bit I generate twice as much electricity than I use for 10 years now and collect 90% of my own water.
How about you guys?
Re rising sea levels, it's easy to see the impact on grass strips alongside tidal rivers. I'm only familiar with the Parramatta and Swan rivers, where there are plenty of spots where the grass is in retreat. But I'm sure the same thing is happening across the planet.

As discussed above we're all screwed because I had 2 kids and they're busy turning food into laughs and CO2 on a trampoline.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
How about you guys?
groan

This old chestnut. No-one can discuss a CC topic unless they are beyond individual reproach. Not how it works, sunshine.

You still haven't acknowledged the science, as far as I can tell. "It's all happened in the past therefore it's the nature".