AM Santa's 5010

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
So Santa came early this year. Due to a tip-off and an impulse buy I bought a 5010 frame (thanks @Alexxx)
Will be slowly building it up from specials and second hand parts. Have some parts already but will be sure to be spamming up the WTB section.
I have been riding enduro bikes and never owned a trail bike so I am looking forward to riding something a bit different.
The plan is to Invisiframe it, find a lightweight wheelset and a 140mm Pike fork. Brakes will most likely be Magura trail, Shimano XT 12 speed with sram cassette. I have a 1.5 deg headset, might be a bit extreme but I will give it a go. I will take the 200x57 CC Air shock out of my ENR and put a coil on it. The CC air should be a bit of an upgrade to the Fox the frame came with plus I know them well.
Any thoughts?

Update: I finally have it together now and have taken it out a few times. First impressions are just what I expected. It's super fun! Feels light and playful. Features that my enduro eats up now are fun little targets. With the climb switch on it pedals very well, a couple of PBs on the local climbs straight up. As to be expected it is slow on the local decents which are rocky fire trails around here. Gets super sketchy on trails that I usually hit at top gear flat out. Can't wait to take it to some decent single track. I have built it deliberately with similar specs to my ENR. Partly because I like the parts I use but also to see the difference that travel and frame design make.
Overall I am stoked with it. Needs a few things like a real boost rear wheel to fix the chainline and maybe some black bars to replace the fatbar. I love the dropper. It's nice to have a whole 190mm drop with my short legs!
Rear shock - Cane Creek IL air. 200x51 (57mm did not fit, air can hit the top tube.)
Front shock/fork - Pike RCT3 with 140mm air spring Debonair upgrade.
Handlebars - Alloy riser Renthal Fatbar
Stem - Truative 35mm
Headset - Works components angleset 1degree
Grips - Oury
Saddle - Fabric carbon rails
Seatpost - OneUp 210mm
Front brake - Magura Trail Sport
Rear brake -Magura Trail Sport
Cranks - SLX
Chainguide - None, getto homemade bashguard made from plastic chopping board.
Pedals - Nukeproof composite
Rear derailleur - SLX 12
Rear shifter - XT 12
Cassette - Sram Eagle 10-50T
Front hub - DT Swiss
Rear hub - Hope Pro 4
Front rim - DT Swiss E1700
Rear rim - Roam Carbon
Tyres - Maxxis DHF 2.5/2.4 EXO
Tubes - none
Total weight - 14kg

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Check your linkage clearance before you install the longer stroke shock. I've read several posts on O/S forums where people claim to have done it without issue, but on the XL frame I had the lower linkage contacted the frame at ~54mm shock stroke. Hard bottom out on the trails would've made a nasty crunch.

Otherwise - hot stuff, I always wanted that colour scheme! :)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Looks minty. Invisiframe I think it worth the investment if you want to hang onto this one. It fits pretty well but you have to be patient.
Will be lots of fun once done.

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
Check your linkage clearance before you install the longer stroke shock. I've read several posts on O/S forums where people claim to have done it without issue, but on the XL frame I had the lower linkage contacted the frame at ~54mm shock stroke. Hard bottom out on the trails would've made a nasty crunch.

Otherwise - hot stuff, I always wanted that colour scheme! :)
Thanks beeb, I have read about mixed success too.

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
Another update: Been spending lots of time on it. Once I got used to it feeling a lot more loose on the rough stuff then it became a very capable bike. I need to remember it's not my enduro, I keep bottoming out so I have to change habits and line choice.
I took it for a lap around Superbowl near Nowra. It made the tight turns much more fun. Took almost a minute and a half off my best time and felt much more flowy. I am really seeing the appeal of trail bikes.
The Lady maniac and I are about to exchange contracts on some acres today. We have been dreaming of a bigger property for over 20 years so I am super stoked and will be building more than a few short trails. Unfortunately it will need a new septic and a few other things so the 5010 might have to go (literally down the toilet) :mad:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
That's the spirit!
Maybe I should just pipe the sewage down the back and create booby traps for moto's that ride my trails.
Two birds one stone! Brilliant.

You’ve already bought the 5010, selling it on won’t recoup losses (is covid tax still a thing?). But not having it when you build all those new trails is going to suck.

Also, there’s alot of room on acreage for cheeky bush poo’s while you gather funds for the sewer install.
You’ll be right slumming it, just don’t do a @Minlak.

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
Two birds one stone! Brilliant.

You’ve already bought the 5010, selling it on won’t recoup losses (is covid tax still a thing?). But not having it when you build all those new trails is going to suck.

Also, there’s alot of room on acreage for cheeky bush poo’s while you gather funds for the sewer install.
You’ll be right slumming it, just don’t do a @Minlak.
It cost a lot more than I ever thought I would spend on a bike but still a third of potential septic costs. Will see how it goes.

Bush poos are an option. There is a second house that we will rent out, will have to find some open minded tenants. What did @Minlak do?

Can't wait to be able to build trails to suit my skill level. I am thinking of building some really dodgy and unnecessarily risky features that my friends can come and hurt themselves on and calling it something creative like Berm Valley.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Does anyone have a link to that story?
I can’t find it.
The RB post to end all posts.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Does anyone have a link to that story?
I can’t find it.
The RB post to end all posts.
Here you go...