Revel Rail Mullet Edition

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Full writeup here. Ride summary to come. It looks amazing in the flesh, mega beast.

Couple of updates - Ground Keeper frame protection and fender. Granite band, with CO2 kit, tyre levers and tool kit.

Frame: Revel Rail in tang
Fork: Formula Selva
Brakes: Guide RE
Drivetrain: Shimano Deore 12spd with XT Cranks
Pedals: Burgtec (of course)
Dropper: KS LEV Ci, with YEP Components trigger (absolutely love these!)
Saddle: Controltech Lynx
Bottle cage: Controltech Lynx
Handlebar: Spank
Grips: Spank
Wheels: Spank. 29" front, 27.5" for full mullet effect
Tyres: Maxxis Dissector rear, Onza Aquila front. Granite juicy nipples.
Additional items: Has Granite tyre plugs inside one handlebar end and the chain tool in the other. JAB Titanium bolts in cherry red wherever I could.

Attachments

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
@russthedog you say you love the Yep trigger but every time I've seen a photo of one I've immediately thought it looks like an ergonomics nightmare... What makes it so good? At first I thought maybe they ran a really short lever throw but then I realised you're running it on a KS so it can't be too much of a hair trigger situation.. What's the go?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Looks very, very similar to the old x-fusion style joystick they used to use on one of their original posts.

They were good because they could go in any direction, but a bit slippy at times to get the thumb on.

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@russthedog you say you love the Yep trigger but every time I've seen a photo of one I've immediately thought it looks like an ergonomics nightmare... What makes it so good? At first I thought maybe they ran a really short lever throw but then I realised you're running it on a KS so it can't be too much of a hair trigger situation.. What's the go?
Hey Leitch, @wkkie is spot on - because you can hit it from any direction it takes less prep and thought than others Ive used. It also has a nice light action. You can set it up for a really short throw (my Yep dropper is a bit more like that), but I have it set up on this LEV with a standard amount. I havent found it slippy to get the thumb on, so not sure about that

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
took it for the first proper ride last week, no issues other than loose rotor bolts so thats a win! The trails were pretty challenging, very rocky and rough and steep - so next ride will be a bit more mellow to test it out on different trails. Deore shifting was good, felt slightly slower than XT but might be tuning. Still love the feel of the Selva. The Rail is as I remember it - really efficient on the pedals, a good climber and a beast on the descents. Mullet wheels feel a little different to same size, you can feel it turning differently, that will take me a bit to get used to. Jumping also seemed like it was kicking the back wheel up a bit, but rebound was spot on. Ill try slightly slower next ride and see what happens then.

I really like the sizing on the frame, its very spacious when seated and feels like a good length when standing up - provides plenty of stability and room to move. After being on a Pole for a while I thought a shorter bike might be difficult to adapt to but it hasnt been the case.

CBF suspension is maybe the best Ive ridden, I think only DW link is comparable. Im mostly thinking of the balance of efficiency and then plush suspension action. Each bike feels like it has more travel than what it says on the tin, and yet pedals very efificiently.

Things to adjust:
Front brake is really noisy, will have a look at trying to quieten that up.
Slow rebound on rear to check kicking rear wheel
Saddle angle - its not quite right, will change direction and location