Which Welder to buy PLz

clockworked

Like an orange
I keep tossing up getting one too. I have a 15A socket available though. I really just want to modify my steel trailer for camping and carrying bikes

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Majority of advice has been good, except for the fuckwit suggesting SAW. It comes down to what you want to weld and how much and how often. Sticking some steel sheet and plate together on rare occasions then @Minlak suggestion is good. If you want to go thinner, or weld aluminium then spend a bit more and get a tig capable machine. If you wear reading glasses look at getting corrective adapters for the helmet. Always test the helmet by looking up towards the sun to check the auto darkening is working and you haven't burned a hole in it. Harder to do at night and may involve a road trip. Quality PPE, especially gloves is worth the extra money.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
If you want to go thinner, or weld aluminium then spend a bit more and get a tig capable machine.
I really enjoy tig welding (except for aluminium. That shit is an art form)

When I eventually need to buy a welder (I just use the ones at work for now) it will definitely be a arc/tig welder.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I really enjoy tig welding (except for aluminium. That shit is an art form)

When I eventually need to buy a welder (I just use the ones at work for now) it will definitely be a arc/tig welder.
once you get the buzz of a good welding machine, they are like bikes...hard to stop at one!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I keep tossing up getting one too. I have a 15A socket available though. I really just want to modify my steel trailer for camping and carrying bikes
what is your budget..don't get a Mig with those tiny little disposable cylinders, total waste of your time and money!..better off with a decent quality used machine like a Linclon or Miller, even the Bossweld ones are ok.
Bunnings do most welding gasses on a swap and go system now too, I think its like $300 first time up which covers bottle rent and gas, and then about $100 from then on...those crap little cylinders are about $60 to $70 bucks for argoshield and you will burn it up in no time!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I was previously looking at the $1k area, but gave up because i was still in rentals
excluding gas (as most of us steal a bottle from work anyhow) My Lincoln 180C PowerMig was around that price, good budget to get you going though...Hit up CrimeConverters too (Cashies) as a lot of welding machines end up there after people give up on trying to learn new skills and try to recover their Losses and please their Missus!

Jpez

Down on the left!
what is your budget..don't get a Mig with those tiny little disposable cylinders, total waste of your time and money!..better off with a decent quality used machine like a Linclon or Miller, even the Bossweld ones are ok.
Bunnings do most welding gasses on a swap and go system now too, I think its like $300 first time up which covers bottle rent and gas, and then about $100 from then on...those crap little cylinders are about $60 to $70 bucks for argoshield and you will burn it up in no time!
I reckon Migs are like recommending a full suspension mtb. You can teach a monkey to mig weld . Put someone on an arc welder(hardtail) and that will teach them how to weld properly. Unless cocky shit welds and bog is acceptable.
Bad analogy I know.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I reckon Migs are like recommending a full suspension mtb. You can teach a monkey to mig weld . Put someone on an arc welder(hardtail) and that will teach them how to weld properly. Unless cocky shit welds and bog is acceptable.
Bad analogy I know.
That's why we all have Mig's these days...we can afford the Mig not the Time!

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Bad analogy I know.
Good analogy I reckon when I studied general engineering of all the types of welding I learnt, mig was the least interesting/challenging.

When you smash out a mint arc or tig weld it is extremely satisfying.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Next bit of advice is buy a mig. In the shop try different handpieces, they arent all the same. My little Kempii has the best handpiece ever. #1 bought a Unimig 175 on a trolley and it is a nice machine but harder and more fickle to set up. But once it is running correctly it can run bigger beads than the kempii.

Practise is important, if you are dragging the welder out once or twice a year give yourself time to get used to it all again before trying to do pretty runs.

And as mentioned above get a proper cylinder of gas from bunnys or total etc. Avoid pure Ar unless you are welding stainless or ali, go for a mixture suited to your needs.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Good analogy I reckon when I studied general engineering of all the types of welding I learnt, mig was the least interesting/challenging.

When you smash out a mint arc or tig weld it is extremely satisfying.
I know right. That perfect sound. Perfect speed of travel. The slag lifting perfectly off the weld. It’s a beautiful thing.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I know right. That perfect sound. Perfect speed of travel. The slag lifting perfectly off the weld. It’s a beautiful thing.
I am NOT experienced, but I do pay attention to things. Couple of years ago I asked my Gramps to show me how to Arc weld. Took a couple of tries to strike it properly, but once I did and I worked out what I was looking at thru the mask, I didn't rush and focussed on a consistent flow of molten metal.

Gramp's comment "Turn it off Cardy, we're done. That's as good as any weld I've ever seen."

Now I have to actually do it on something other than scrap. :rolleyes:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I am NOT experienced, but I do pay attention to things. Couple of years ago I asked my Gramps to show me how to Arc weld. Took a couple of tries to strike it properly, but once I did and I worked out what I was looking at thru the mask, I didn't rush and focussed on a consistent flow of molten metal.

Gramp's comment "Turn it off Cardy, we're done. That's as good as any weld I've ever seen."

Now I have to actually do it on something other than scrap. :rolleyes:
Challenge for you, superduplex stainless.