Australia Day, is January 26th the right day?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Aussies love a public holiday. If the govt wants to change the date, as long as they give us two in one year, people won't give a shit. They'll just be happy they got two in one year. The next year they still be talking how chuffed they were t ok get two the year before.

Though on a more serious note, I heard a sound bite from an indigenous Australian on one of JJJs hack segments say "I don't care what date they move it to, I won't be celebrating it" and something to the effect of "I'll still protest it".

So.....while these types of attitudes exist in the conversation, dont expect any healing to come from a simple date change.

discofrank

Likes Dirt
no,
changing the date will not change the history ,
as soon as the date changes, this same reason will come up again,
jan 26th is about Australia and how we ALL have come to be, regardless of race,colour or heritage
our history is just that , history
WE ALL need to move on with this,
its the same with everyone wanting the change the national anthem , just no,
The british did not "invade" they came to setup a penal colony , that was their aim and intention.
we have come so far from those days. use that day 26th jan to celebrate that. where we have come from to who we are now

also for those iterested , have a look for how many days that are celebrated for the aborigines, they have many

moorey

call me Mia
He/she/they are 100% right....if it’s simply a date change and the fuck your feelings crew still celebrate it as a colonising and stealing of a land they didn’t own, and an overtaking of an existing culture.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
extending this most countries i think are more racist than australians
As far as most of the blokes commenting here are concerned, I am a racist.

I am offended by nothing, I laugh at jokes about other people and races.

I draw the line with the disabled.

I dont get offended by the Irish 'mockery' that Aussies and others give me and I give the same shit back.

I was born in a country at war, fighting over land, flags, anthems and parades.

At 29, I came to Oz on my own, been here now nearly 20yrs.

My tolerance and humour is nearly 100% mistaken for racism.

I am not a racist but this is an awesome country and people come to Australia because its Australia.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
no,
jan 26th is about Australia and how we ALL have come to be, regardless of race,colour or heritage
The british did not "invade" they came to setup a penal colony , that was their aim and intention.
we have come so far from those days. use that day 26th jan to celebrate that. where we have come from to who we are now

also for those iterested , have a look for how many days that are celebrated for the aborigines, they have many
I'm not that thrilled with celebrating the anniversary of the commencement of the demolition of sixty thousand years or so of hundreds of cultures and languages as a result of building a prison...but if you feel you must then I'm happy to ignore your efforts.

Personally, I'd be happy to go with the 1st of April.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If only those indigenous folks could just let it be and agree with the "aim and intention" none of this would have ever have happened... - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_of_Indigenous_Australians

How in the actual fuck can anyone who is an Australian first nations person celebrate that history?

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
no,

Out of interest, what’s your ethnicity?

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The stolen land thing is an interesting one for me as there are calls to stop riding on my local trails. I was initially conflicted on this. So far no one in the mtb community is supporting this that I am aware of.
https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...one-opposition-to-mountain-bike-riding-grows/
There is a thread on here somewhere where most were taking the piss out of this article.
I think we only support this stuff when it suits us from a distance.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
no,

you know that Australia day hasn't actual always been celebrated on Jan 26 right? it only became a national public holiday celebrated on the 26 Jan in 1994. Prior to that different states celebrated their own days on dates spanning the entire year. The idea that changing the date "wont change anything" may be right in some circles, but changing the date is not about changing history, its about not celebrating it on a day that has a dark significance to indigenous Australians. That's not too hard to understand, right?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
you know that Australia day hasn't actual always been celebrated on Jan 26 right? it only became a national public holiday celebrated on the 26 Jan in 1994. Prior to that different states celebrated their own days on dates spanning the entire year. The idea that changing the date "wont change anything" may be right in some circles, but changing the date is not about changing history, its about not celebrating it on a day that has a dark significance to indigenous Australians. That's not too hard to understand, right?
Read the first post.