Pointless new standards - name and shame the "innovators".

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Basically BSA68 threaded bottom brackets are still the most compatible. You can run any crankset with just changing bb cups and its very easy to do. Pressfit is where things started to go down hill. Cheap to manufacture but a nightmare for the end user. Also cranks that don't have a separate spindle.

Although I have an almost pathological dislike for anything Cracknfail, their hollowgram cranksets are light, strong and easily adaptable from bike to bike. I have used the same set of crank arms on my Anthem X BSA68, the Banshee Spitfire BSA73 and my Trance 29er PF92. The crank arms originally came off a road bike. Now that's what I'd call compatible. Only thing that has changed between bikes is the spindle length but they are relatively cheap and available in a truckload of sizes.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Dub bottom brackets run a 30mm internal diameter bearing. They then use a combined dust seal/bush that reduces this to 28.99...
That's good to know. It also means the engineering babble in the SCRAM video is total BS. I thought they might have gone to 28.99 to fit slightly larger bearings but if they're running the same 30mm ID bearings then there will be no difference ( at least in PF92 applications).

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Thread bump. Looks like this contagion also applies to road bikers. Most were pissed off already about disc brakes and at least they did the axle and brake in one go. But alas boost comes to road bikes :D

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Thread bump. Looks like this contagion also applies to road bikers. Most were pissed off already about disc brakes and at least they did the axle and brake in one go. But alas boost comes to road bikes :D
shite, no need to go aaway from 126/130/135mm qr -and to now have 12mm boost instead of using 15mm that MTb has adopted is rubbish - means you cant swap between gravel & mtb wheelsets, which is super handy, i throw gravel wheels on my hardtail to do the odd gravel ride - much nicer on descents than drop bars

Calvin27

Eats Squid
shite, no need to go aaway from 126/130/135mm qr -and to now have 12mm boost instead of using 15mm that MTb has adopted is rubbish - means you cant swap between gravel & mtb wheelsets, which is super handy, i throw gravel wheels on my hardtail to do the odd gravel ride - much nicer on descents than drop bars
Roadies won't like this. They got dragged into disc and thru axles kicking and screaming - and they had actual real benefits....
I might buy a spare wheelset before they get real hard to find. I have 3 bikes running142 rear spacing.

moorey

call me Mia
Agreed, we do need to ban gravel, CX and road cycling.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

goobags

Likes Dirt
Mums Specialized Creo has silly front road boost. First notice when all three (15x110, 15x100 and QR) of the fork mount bike carrier adapters didn’t fit. I wonder how long it will take for road boost wheel sets to start coming out with less spokes like 28h MTB boost wheels and still try to claim they’re stronger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Ok folks, it's happening. We all took some guesses, those of you that guessed the trusty derailleur would be next on the chopping block...win...?

Sram UDH and shimano responds, not in addition to the million other standards you have to choose from, the frame itself looks like it could be locked to sram/shimano from hereon. Or maybe someone will make an adaptor, it could double as a sacrificial part and we could call it a hanger.

Am I getting old and grumpy or is this dumb shit literally getting worse and worse?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
May I ask why the Shimano saint and hone axle direct mount never took off
It is a good question since it seems like it was before its time.

Maybe the 'universal' UDH hanger didn't take off or wasn't exciting enough.

Now we look to have similar but different Sram and Shimano hangers that are squished between the hub and drop out as the new saviour.

Meanwhile, a lightweight and affordable gearbox with a common frame mount sounds harder than interstellar travel.
Oh well.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
The UDH is an open standard but does have a lot things a manufacturer needs to include to put one on their bikes. Cannot see Shimano ever using a SRAM open standard which is why we have Microspline. It is not a matter of just slapping UDH on frame. @yuley95 posted a great post from Kavenz in the LTIH thread I think of their development for UDH and there is a maximum chain growth for the hanger which I thought was interesting.

Agree with @Mr Crudley surely a open mount standard for a gearbox would be the way forward but no. Interesting times ahead.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Cannot see Shimano ever using a SRAM open standard which is why we have Microspline
I thought it was because sram open sourced the freehub, but not the cassette. Hence folks can make wheels with the xd hubs, but everyone is forced to buy sram overpriced cassettes. Genius market strategy, but a real kick in the balls for cyclists everywhere not to mention the piles of junk and hard rubbish this creates. I have 3 sram xd drivers simply because I picked up cheap wheels (presumably folks didn't want sram). They will likely got to landfill in the future, unless someone has exactly the same hub and wants the freehub.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I thought it was because sram open sourced the freehub, but not the cassette. Hence folks can make wheels with the xd hubs, but everyone is forced to buy sram overpriced cassettes. Genius market strategy, but a real kick in the balls for cyclists everywhere not to mention the piles of junk and hard rubbish this creates. I have 3 sram xd drivers simply because I picked up cheap wheels (presumably folks didn't want sram). They will likely got to landfill in the future, unless someone has exactly the same hub and wants the freehub.
Was only thinking hub and my Hambo cannot find details on the cassette. You are probably right though.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Those derailleurs will only be on dentist brand bikes for the next few years then it'll start being cheap enough and available to us plebs in 5 years when there is a new standard..
The bike industry is a mess driven by marketing hyp .. everyone has the latest "buzzword" that you HAVE to have or you won't enjoy your ride...
Let's not talk about the cost of bikes and parts because I might stab someone..