Australia Day, is January 26th the right day?

Mr Adonis

Likes Bikes
Im just wondering.....
When is the cut-off date for us 'whiteys' to stop feeling guilty about what happened in the past???
As some others have said, history is history - you cant change the good and the bad!
The Aborigines got ínvaded' some 200 years ago - is this the excuse they now give for the issues their community is going through? Drug addiction, health, education.....
As someone has already stated before, ýou can lead a horse to water........' if the people themselves dont want to change, well im sorry, there is so much us whiteys can do - we spend billions, upon billions on them, and yet WE still get blamed for the situation they are in.
Kevin Rudd said sorry years ago - move on.
Stop playing the victim card.
Its up to the individual to get off the ass and make something positive in their lives.
Basically this change the date is just a token measure - it will do NOTHING to improve their lives, unless they do it themselves.
I wish all the SJW's marching on the streets demanding to change the date, to go up to the Aboriginal communities, and help them, or better still, those holding placards 'always was, always will be Aboriginal land ' to please give their land / house for free to an Aboriginal - its stolen land isnt it?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Pretty much. Just read the blinkered view and responded. Don't care about the history of the thread as the poster didn't about the history of their country. Shoot me.....wait. hmmmm
Who was this directed at? It followed your view which suggested the opening post was contradictory to your post which didn't seem to have much of the opening post in it.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
In that case dont criticise a post you couldn't be arsed to read through.
I read the post. Erm what part of my post was critical of yours mate? Fairly certain we hold the same view. I criticised discofrank for having a blinkered view of the situation. I didnt need to read your whole post to do that either.

It appears you've got the chronology and the direction of my comments out of whack

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I'll try an clarify the points I think you've misunderstood

1.Pretty much. Just read the blinkered view and responded. - this relates to the fact I didn't read the whole thread, as discofranks comment is pretty blinkered. Seemed pretty self explanitory.

2. Don't care about the history of the thread as the poster didn't about the history of their country - a jokey quip about not caring about the TLDR post at the start of the thread as the poster (discofrank, the POSTER who I was referring to) didn't seem to care about the history of the country enough to understand why the day is hurtful.

I can see how the second point could have been misread to mean the OP didnt care about the history, though given the first post is litterlly all about history and my comment quoted the bkinkered view i was refering to, its hard to imagine how one makes this mistake.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Im just wondering.....
When is the cut-off date for us 'whiteys' to stop feeling guilty about what happened in the past???
As some others have said, history is history - you cant change the good and the bad!
The Aborigines got ínvaded' some 200 years ago - is this the excuse they now give for the issues their community is going through? Drug addiction, health, education.....
As someone has already stated before, ýou can lead a horse to water........' if the people themselves dont want to change, well im sorry, there is so much us whiteys can do - we spend billions, upon billions on them, and yet WE still get blamed for the situation they are in.
Its up to the individual to get off the ass and make something positive in their lives.
Basically this change the date is just a token measure - it will do NOTHING to improve their lives, unless they do it themselves.
I wish all the SJW's marching on the streets demanding to change the date, to go up to the Aboriginal communities, and help them, or better still, those holding placards 'always was, always will be Aboriginal land ' to please give their land / house for free to an Aboriginal - its stolen land isnt it?
I don't feel guilty

Do you feel guilty? Or feel like you should if you don't? I really don't think that's what's being aimed for here, we're talking about just not celebrating the day the takeover began. (You can argue dates and reasons till the cows come home but it is not a stretch to see it that way)

I don't think a date change is a big ask. Definitely nowhere near a big enough deal to a migrant population dating back a couple of hundred years. Just change it so we can all get on with enjoying it.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Im just wondering.....
Mate that is some phenomenal head-up-your-ass bullshit right there, and textbook avoidance. Simultaneously diminishing the validity of the problem to hand and then suggesting that people raising the issues are hypocrites for not doing enough about it. All of the BS whataboutery you raised has been addressed by people far more qualified to comment than I am, so there's no point responding - if you actually "wondered" and wanted to understand you'd do some reading and inform yourself.

I will say this - "Kevin Rudd said sorry years ago - move on". When was the last time you thought an apology was sufficient to address harm done to you? Let alone of the scale done to Aboriginal Australians. If Australia was taken over by the Japanese in 1945, and Shinzo Abe had come out in 2013 and said "sorry 'bout that" but you were still being treated as a second class citizen with fewer opportunities, shorter life expectancy, were routinely subject to laws and policies developed without your input and incarcerated at rates that are the highest on the planet, would you just be like "oh cool, we're all good then"?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Im just wondering.....
And drug use, poverty, education, domestic violence, health are all closely tied and very often a product of your environment. It's not just a case of telling them to collectively pull their shit together, there's a systematic problem that started a long time ago and has only recently seen any attempt to fix. These are things that will take time and funding and continued opportunity. Giving someone a handout and wiping your hands is not going to fix the problem, not in any race or demographic.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Im just wondering.....
No one is asking for us whiteys to feel guilty, just to acknowledge the countrys history, including the shit stuff our ancestors did, and then ask ourselves is that the right day to celebrate?

Australia has an absolutely terrible track record of treating minorities poorly not just indiginous australians.The white australia policy is something more recent that proves that we've only recently come out from under a rock. That policy was abolished only in 1966.

We all have parents that were alive when we as a nation still actively discriminated against minorities in ways that were legal. That policy (though not by itself) informed multiple generations thinking and values which keep trickling down to younger generations today.

Waiting for the "I'm not racist, I have an aboriginal mate" card.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The date is hurtful to a large number of Australians. Most whom I have heard speak about the matter are happy to celebrate the nation, its diversity and its peoples and culture, just not on Jan 26. Sure there will be some for whom any date is an opportunity to be filled with hate like there would be some who continue with Jan 26 celebrations to turn up their stuck up noses to those who wanted the date changed.

Let's change the date, it is not as if it has that meaning anyway.

I like a date in mid winter just to piss @moorey off because he will have to spend the public holiday shovelling snow off his roof.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Let's change the date, it is not as if it has that meaning anyway.
I still vote for January 1, except then we lose a public holiday which is unlikely to go down well. So make it either:

• July 9 when the Queen accepted the Constitution of Australia (except that will enrage the Republicans). So then.....
  • March 3rd, Independence Day to mark the enacting of the Australia Act in 1986

Easy. Then frame the argument for changing the date primarily around the fact the current date is inaccurate as "Australia Day" so the fuck your feelings crowd can't hijack it and problem solved.

moorey

call me Mia
Im just wondering.....
This is why we can’t have nice things.

stirk

Burner
Im just wondering.....
You are possibly the most ignorant person I've seen a post from in this particular discussion.
Saying sorry to one generation does not fix the issues experienced by the younger generations and to the impacted generation recieving the apology it's a token gesture. Nor does spending loads of money on a disadvantaged group of people fix the issues they face today or tomorrow.
Fixing the issue the Aborigines face in Australia will take many years and some generations to overcome. The current problems are a couple of centuries and very recent decades in the making and can't be wiped away with a token 'sorry' or money.

The discrimination and disadvantage placed upon them from privileged people needs to stop first and from there the old and new generations can hopefully make inroads into being accepted into a society that no longer looks down on them simply because of the current plight and issues they face which stem from decades of terrible history and poor Government.

The fact my part Aboriginal daughter currently works in a job helping her people to get work and stay employed and to help report racism and discrimination in the workplace speaks volumes for how hard it is for them to help themselves when faced by a hostile society holding onto their stereotypical views of a peoples who's recent history and plight was created by privileged white Australians.

You and people like you need to change your discriminatory views first and if you can, that will help immensely the people who need our help the most and finally you need to understand that we created and perpetuate the shit that they are in by the attitude you currently hold.

I'd throw some swear words at you but I reserve those for people I like.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
You are possibly the most ignorant person I've seen a post from in this particular discussion.
Saying sorry to one generation does not fix the issues experienced by the younger generations and to the impacted generation recieving the apology it's a token gesture. Nor does spending loads of money on a disadvantaged group of people fix the issues they face today or tomorrow.
Fixing the issue the Aborigines face in Australia will take many years and some generations to overcome. The current problems are a couple of centuries and very recent decades in the making and can't be wiped away with a token 'sorry' or money.

The discrimination and disadvantage placed upon them from privileged people needs to stop first and from there the old and new generations can hopefully make inroads into being accepted into a society that no longer looks down on them simply because of the current plight and issues they face which stem from decades of terrible history and poor Government.

The fact my part Aboriginal daughter currently works in a job helping her people to get work and stay employed and to help report racism and discrimination in the workplace speaks volumes for how hard it is for them to help themselves when faced by a hostile society holding onto their stereotypical views of a peoples who's recent history and plight was created by privileged white Australians.

You and people like you need to change your discriminatory views first and if you can, that will help immensely the people who need our help the most and finally you need to understand that we created and perpetuate the shit that they are in by the attitude you currently hold.

I'd throw some swear words at you but I reserve those for people I like.
Without question the most impressive thing I have seen you write in this forum. Bravo!

Mr Adonis

Likes Bikes

Ever heard of Jacinta Price?

The well known Aboriginal politician?

She is Aboriginal and expresses views that dont fit your narrative - is she a racist also?

And yeah, I know an Aboriginal where I work - nice enough bloke, got to where he is through education and hard work.

So "Stirk' , gont give me shit about having discriminatory views - Ill take the opinion of Jacinta Price, who knows the issues facing her community, rather than activists....

Squidfayce

Eats Squid

She is Aboriginal and expresses views that dont fit your narrative - is she a racist also?

And yeah, I know an Aboriginal where I work - nice enough bloke, got to where he is through education and hard work.

So "Stirk' , gont give me shit about having discriminatory views - Ill take the opinion of Jacinta Price, who knows the issues facing her community, rather than activists....
Umm....ok.... I could break this down a thousand ways, but I don't think you'd get it. It's sort of like when your grandma knows that Adam and Steve are gay and will treat them fine enough to their face. But when she's had a shandy, and behind closed doors she tell you that it's unnatural and they're both going to help because the bible says.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur

The number of stereotypes you've used in that response is kinda impressive.