Some useful 3D printed parts, tools and accessories

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Soooo
What does 3D printing actually "cost"
Would it be cost effective to produce:
Star Nut Setter https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4547526
Crown race setter https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4521283
Ive been using pvc pressure pipe sockets for crown races, but this sounds more high brow.

Costs bugger all, about $30 per kg for filament. Time can be a killer tho, its a slow process. Definitely worth printing these things, i shall get onto it

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Soooo
What does 3D printing actually "cost"
Would it be cost effective to produce:
Star Nut Setter https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4547526
Crown race setter https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4521283
Thinking about the project I'm printing at the moment.
Matchmakers for the brakes
It's 6m of filament for both and the roll of ABS I just bought was $15 for 300m. So 3c for both
The Shimano adaptors for the shifters are about the same so 3c for both.
Total for matchmakers and problem solvers is under 10cents
Time is about 5 hours as I'm doing it in 2 lots.

If I bought them it would be between $80-100 and then time for shipping. Overall saving of up to $100 and I have them today when I need them. Crash on a ride and brake one, print another one and have the bike back up and running in a few hours. There are quite a few benefits, recognising the limitations of the materials.

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Don't have a correct size set of mount hardware?

I stuffed up my measurements 3 times before I got it right. I imagine that would have been much more frustrating if I'd ordered the wrong thing 3 times though.

goobags

Likes Dirt
Don't have a correct size set of mount hardware?

I stuffed up my measurements 3 times before I got it right. I imagine that would have been much more frustrating if I'd ordered the wrong thing 3 times though.

I’m one to print anything but I’m not convinced this will last the test of time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I’m one to print anything but I’m not convinced this will last the test of time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree, I've used pla+ because I'm all out of petg so confidence isn't high. I feel like petg has a reasonable chance of lasting a while though, fox hardware is half plastic so metals aren't strictly needed

At any rate, it probably cost me 20c to make and it's for a bike I'm not super keen to sink money into so happy to see how it goes.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Any burners with a printer interested in making me these?
The star nut setter is a five hour print job so around $25, this seems pretty close to the cost of a cheaper commercially available one plus I have my doubts that the printed one would last more than a handful of installs.

The crown race tool design would need to be modified to suit what ever pipe you were going to fit it to so you'd need a copy of the original CAD file or 3D model it from scratch. If you just wanted to print the supplied .stl file it's six hours so $30.

Those costs are based on a flat rate $5/hr printing fee, as a one off I'd be happy to do it gratis however in this case I think the proper tools would be the most cost effective.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
The star nut setter is a five hour print job so around $25, this seems pretty close to the cost of a cheaper commercially available one plus I have my doubts that the printed one would last more than a handful of installs.

The crown race tool design would need to be modified to suit what ever pipe you were going to fit it to so you'd need a copy of the original CAD file or 3D model it from scratch. If you just wanted to print the supplied .stl file it's six hours so $30.

Those costs are based on a flat rate $5/hr printing fee, as a one off I'd be happy to do it gratis however in this case I think the proper tools would be the most cost effective.
$21 plus post from Pushys for star nut setter:

https://www.pushys.com.au/super-b-s...VhwsrCh2xDwkUEAQYAiABEgLp6fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Any burners with a printer interested in making me these?
I did the star nut setter in petg, worked but broke the first time I used it. I've done it again in and so we'll see how that goes.

For the crown race tool, hit up Bunnings. Pretty sure it's a 32 pressure pipe socket for 1 1/8 and a 40 pressure pipe socket for 1.5. could get fancy and join them with a bit of pipe and exchange one socket for a reducer, but I just hit the sockets. I feel like printing this would be a bit of a waste of time.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Any burners had any attempts at tube/tool/cargo holders?
I have a Dakine Hot Laps and find it bloody frustrating as it tends to spin round all the time.
I use the Dakine one under the saddle and it works great - but it depends how much clearance you have, its on a HT and a shorter dropper so works. Otherwise the Backcountry straps work well on frame and stay put. The Wolf Tooth options are what I'd check out next.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any burners had any attempts at tube/tool/cargo holders?
I have a Dakine Hot Laps and find it bloody frustrating as it tends to spin round all the time.

I think the 76 Projects version is the clubhouse leader, but it's $50 locally
View attachment 372650
Hmm. I like the look of the High Above version, I reckon I could model something like that & 3D print. Might have a go later.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use the Dakine one under the saddle and it works great - but it depends how much clearance you have, its on a HT and a shorter dropper so works. Otherwise the Backcountry straps work well on frame and stay put. The Wolf Tooth options are what I'd check out next.
Wolf Tooth version seem great, but they are also pricey.