Choosing a decent bike for a growing 11yr old (151cm tall)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I accept that children's coil forks are shit, but I did read that rotors can be modulated better than v brakes (and can be upgraded to hydraulic!)

Tubeless tyres are just me getting overly excited and wanting everyone to standardise on one 'keeping air in the tyre' method.
I'm a fan of cheap cable disc over cheap kids V-brakes, just because when they deteriorate and the pads go like plastic, the disc brakes still work better, even with coke poured over them.

A little bit of maintenance and a cable change (Brake cable and outer are a different thickness to gear cables) keeps cheap cable discs running well.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
The Lad has a Polygon Relic 24" with a pogo stick fork. I spent coin on the wheels instead after watching him ride the thing. His next bike will be a 26" generic alloy frame I picked up at the Mildura Tip Shop, a brand new $120? Manitou fork I found ages ago at Cycling Deal and a Novatec/Mavic wheelset I had made because I had the parts. All this has been sitting in the shed for a couple of years. A Microshift or Box groupset and some brakes are all I probably need...

@HamboCairns I think you could cast around locally and cleverly rather than going full retail therapy.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I know I should probably post this on Wanted but what do you all have?

I should at least be able to present the alternative!

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Th
I know I should probably post this on Wanted but what do you all have?

I should at least be able to present the alternative!
The aforementioned 24" Relic could be made available but freight to you would be daft. There's also the custom wheelset I had made for it using Novatec hubs, Spank rims with Maxxis Holy Rollers as well as the original OE wheels...

Like I said...check out the tip shop and see what you can turn up.

HamboCairns

That Scott will be great. I had two 20" Scott scales. Rigid fork. Light as (for a kids bike). Both ran great. No issues.

Somewhat regretting the 24" I've got my eldest on now though. Only because I reckon he'll outgrow it soon, and hasn't been on it long. Maybe a 26 or xs 27.5 would have been better.
Lucky there's two more little shredders waiting in line for it when he's done...
My daughter is just starting to outgrow the 20". She needs the seat in the lowest position to ride her brother's 24" bike so I think she can get a solid couple of years from a 24" - I'll be happy with that.

Here's a photo of the bike I'm looking at. Looks pretty nice!

moorey

call me Mia
@HamboCairns, I’m going to give you the most honest advice I ever have, or am ever likely to give you...

Build up a small 26”. It will be 1/2 the weight and have kick arse parts.
In 3 years, it will be worth as much or more than it cost.
A cheap 24 or 27.5 will be worth 1/6th of squat when she outgrows it and you resell.

HamboCairns

@HamboCairns, I’m going to give you the most honest advice I ever have, or am ever likely to give you...

A cheap 24 or 27.5 will be worth 1/6th of squat when she outgrows it and you resell.
No white text :eek:

HamboCairns

I assume this would require a few trips to the WTB section?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
It's a given!

But as with all things, postage is the issue.
Do what I do, if the lazy pricks refuse to post, fill up the chat thread with hundreds of sarcastic replies to their claim "postage is not really an option".

Won't get you yaw item, or win any new friends, but meh, humans suck, and sarcasm is the balm to the soul.

Been so long, I'm a rookie again.