From the Blue Skye to the Deep Green Sea - Transition Spur

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I love the look of the Spur - very jealous!

One thing I've wondered about it though is how it goes for heavier or gumby riders. It seems like such a poppy / playful thing built for fast and agile riders - if you're a bit of a clyde, or have no finesse, would this bike work for you? Or better off with a mid travel option...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out

One thing I've wondered about it though is how it goes for heavier or gumby riders. It seems like such a poppy / playful thing built for fast and agile riders - if you're a bit of a clyde, or have no finesse, would this bike work for you? Or better off with a mid travel option...
I'm 92kg right now, hopefully soon to be back to sub 85kg. I take it you are talking 100kg+

Definitely not had enough time on it to answer this with my own opinion but I watched quite a few hours of YouTube reviews before buying and a couple of them mentioned weight limits but didn't really elaborate. They also didn't put a number on it or suggest that riding style or skills would be a factor.
There's a shit load of riding reviews and comparison videos on the Spur... just be careful though, there were a number of things that tipped me over the edge on this buy, the YouTube reviews certainly added to that ;)

xero

Supersports

I guess in one sense the answer is, it's a Transition , the boys don't make bikes not to be ridden hard and in travel numbers they always seem to punch above their weight, so the Spur is no different there.
Slacker and more stable can be more forgiving, so in terms of riding position, less advanced riders can benefit as it's an easier bike to really progress skills on, but under a good rider you can push so much more as well.
120 obviously will have its limits at some point, and body weight definitely can add to that ... But, its also dependent on build as well and what you are really doing on the bike...

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I'm 92kg right now, hopefully soon to be back to sub 85kg. I take it you are talking 100kg+

Definitely not had enough time on it to answer this with my own opinion but I watched quite a few hours of YouTube reviews before buying and a couple of them mentioned weight limits but didn't really elaborate. They also didn't put a number on it or suggest that riding style or skills would be a factor.
There's a shit load of riding reviews and comparison videos on the Spur... just be careful though, there were a number of things that tipped me over the edge on this buy, the YouTube reviews certainly added to that ;)
Yeah, probably more 100 kg+ which has been me the past couple of years. Not so worried about burly fork @Tubbsy - I think we go overboard with this, generally forks are pretty good these days and a 34 mm serves my purposes fine.

I watched a heap of videos when it got released, most were being ridden by dudes way more capable than me and doing amazing things with it. Didn't see much about how it suits someone who may not be confident enough to send it large and would be therefore better off with something with more travel for a bit more forgiveness.

I currently ride the Smuggler which is the stocky older brother of this sleek beast - its a little heavy etc but suits me pretty well. I've had to walk a couple of things I've taken fine on a big bike, but otherwise its pretty good. I guess I'm wondering if the new geo on the Spur would translate to more confidence on those things in a short travel package than the older geo of my Smuggler.... @xero has answered some of that as I'm typing... and I think I'm rambling now... sorry!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Any long endurance rides planned @ozzybmx ?
None planned but that was part of the idea that I would do extended trail rides. I used to do laps of Sturt gorge a few times a week but injuries and the lack of time in the past 18 months resulting in shit fitness has stopped me riding so much. Can link it up with the other parks around my area and make a decent 80-100km ride.

I am doing the 900km Mawson trail again in October but that will be on my Indyfab.

Sturt Gorge aka the leafy sea dragon, going to ride it Tuesday after I finish my nightshifts. Will be about a 35km loop with 800vm.

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
None planned but that was part of the idea that I would do extended trail rides. I used to do laps of Sturt gorge a few times a week but injuries and the lack of time in the past 18 months resulting in shit fitness has stopped me riding so much. Can link it up with the other parks around my area and make a decent 80-100km ride.

I am doing the 900km Mawson trail again in October but that will be on my Indyfab.

Sturt Gorge aka the leafy sea dragon, going to ride it Tuesday after I finish my nightshifts. Will be about a 35km loop with 800vm.

View attachment 375249
Hope De Rosa is in that loop somewhere!