2021 World Cup Downhill discussion

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
What are people thoughts on the camera work?

I like the drone shots for something different but I feel they need to use consistent angles and cameras to truly gauge the riders speed correctly. They seemed to shot framing multiple times from one rider to the next quite a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
What are people thoughts on the camera work?

I like the drone shots for something different but I feel they need to use consistent angles and cameras to truly gauge the riders speed correctly. They seemed to shot framing multiple times from one rider to the next quite a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I liked it. Drone gave a better depiction of speed that usual.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I didn't like it when the drone flew in front of (only some of) the riders - it must be a massive distraction when trying to pick your line into the root and stump section, and the editing leaving in the big pointless pull up over the trees toward the end of the upper straight was a waste of time. I fuggin hate the sound of the drone propellers too. I think it has good potential, but hopefully RedBull forget about the onboard sound and utilise more trackside mics of necessary. The sound editing on their coverage is woeful generally. The entire broadcast has so much potential, but always feels a bit amateur hour.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I didn't like it when the drone flew in front of (only some of) the riders - it must be a massive distracrion when trying to pick your line into the root and stump section, and the editing leaving the big pointless pull up over the trees toward the end of the upper straight was a waste of time. I fuggin hate the sound of the drone propellers too. I think it has good potential, but hopefully RedBull forget about the onboard sound and utilise more trackside mics of necessary. The sound editing on their coverage is woeful generally. The entire broadcast has so much potential, but always feels a bit amateur hour.
I think the stump section was on a wire, not drone?
For what they have to cover, I think the coverage is pretty good, TBH.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I didn't like it when the drone flew in front of (only some of) the riders - it must be a massive distracrion when trying to pick your line into the root and stump section, and the editing leaving the big pointless pull up over the trees toward the end of the upper straight was a waste of time. I fuggin hate the sound of the drone propellers too. I think it has good potential, but hopefully RedBull forget about the onboard sound and utilise more trackside mics of necessary. The sound editing on their coverage is woeful generally. The entire broadcast has so much potential, but always feels a bit amateur hour.
agreed with all the above, however , it's a niche sport broadcast live globally for free so I'm willing to take what I can get and we can all yell at the TV while watching Troy get the win!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Basically agree with all the above, thankful for what I get but want more more MORE!

I love the drone and am willing to wait for the technology and editing skills to mature.

At some point, when data transmission, terrain mapping and miniturisation of devices improves, all coverage will be by drones - a number of them will either be assigned to riders, who have some small ID/tracking device on them and the drones will follow them down the whole track capturing may different angles at once, or drones will be assigned to particular sections of track and will identify riders as they come into frame and follow them from numerous angles until they are picked up buy the next team of drones.

I look forward to seeing that the day it arrives.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
I didn't like it when the drone flew in front of (only some of) the riders - it must be a massive distraction when trying to pick your line into the root and stump section, and the editing leaving in the big pointless pull up over the trees toward the end of the upper straight was a waste of time. I fuggin hate the sound of the drone propellers too. I think it has good potential, but hopefully RedBull forget about the onboard sound and utilise more trackside mics of necessary. The sound editing on their coverage is woeful generally. The entire broadcast has so much potential, but always feels a bit amateur hour.
Old mate revving his chainsaw for every rider at the road gap got annoying pretty quick too! Wonder how many tanks of fuel he went through. Hopefully someone buys him a battery saw for next time...

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
"Hybrid setup" hey... Doesn't like the "M" word.
He's riding a genetically modified, round-up ready bike.

I wonder how many other manufacturers put a terminator gene in their product?

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
He's riding a genetically modified, round-up ready bike.

I wonder how many other manufacturers put a terminator gene in their product?

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk
Talking of mods, a few riders including Troy seem to be running the O Chain device. Wonder how much difference it makes.