"And that's a wrap!"

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Anyone done this to their bike? Plenty of clear protective films on the market but this is the first I've seen a full bike wrap to change the color.
Not sure how durable it would be, probably need a protection kit over the top.

Seen a few guys on here do the whole DIY paint job that turn out pretty nice (wouldn't post it up otherwise I guess, unless it's in the CFTFW thread) Has anyone done a DIY full bike wrap?

Does look pretty cool though!

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Calling @Isaakk how did you do the old XTC?
With a lot of frustration, time, and a far less than perfect job haha. Getting the wrap to sit/curve nicely in corners, pockets and other not-straight areas was painful. As Chriso said, looks good from afar, but don't look too closely. Around the BB/seat tube was the hardest.

If your patient and have the time it might come out okay. Probably not something I would DIY again though if I was looking for a great result.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
I've been thinking about this for a future project bike. I found the stuff below for $98 for 1.5x1.5m and it looks pretty easy to apply and flexible for corners. Would be a great way to change the frame colour without voiding the warranty.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Personally I think it would be one of those things that looks good from afar but far from good.
I dunno, I've wrapped 5 or 6 bikes now and if done right you can hardly tell they are wrapped at all. I haven't done a colour change wrap though, only clears. The first few I did certainly weren't as good but the last 4 are pretty damn good. I will say anyone that says you can do this in an hour is full of shit. It takes quite a few hours, I'd say 4-5, a lot of patience and the guts to remove it if it isn't quite prefect. Before you use a dryer to really settle the skin you can remove it, run it back through the soapy water and replace it. Doing it right makes all the difference. I think it's a viable option but you need to be patient and methodical, the former for me is a struggle the latter fits my OCD perfectly.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Getting the wrap to sit/curve nicely in corners, pockets and other not-straight areas was painful.
This is essentially the hardest part in my opinion. Wet application is definitely the way to go to make this a bit easier.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I dunno, I've wrapped 5 or 6 bikes now and if done right you can hardly tell they are wrapped at all. I haven't done a colour change wrap though, only clears. The first few I did certainly weren't as good but the last 4 are pretty damn good. I will say anyone that says you can do this in an hour is full of shit. It takes quite a few hours, I'd say 4-5, a lot of patience and the guts to remove it if it isn't quite prefect. Before you use a dryer to really settle the skin you can remove it, run it back through the soapy water and replace it. Doing it right makes all the difference. I think it's a viable option but you need to be patient and methodical, the former for me is a struggle the latter fits my OCD perfectly.
Yeah I think clears are great, but I'm just imagining all the complex areas on a bike where it would have to be pretty good or would look pretty average up close for a full colour change.
My OCD cant even handle a colour change wrap on a car, let alone on something like a duel suspension bike haha. But all depends on how fussy you are and how fussy the person applying it was.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have played around with sign and wrap vinyl on foam RC gliders. It's pretty cool stuff but I CBF doing a bike frame, that would be a painful task for something that wouldn't last very well if it got a decent amount of use

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I think clears are great, but I'm just imagining all the complex areas on a bike where it would have to be pretty good or would look pretty average up close for a full colour change.
My OCD cant even handle a colour change wrap on a car, let alone on something like a duel suspension bike haha. But all depends on how fussy you are and how fussy the person applying it was.
Welcome to the OCD club. I’m currently Chairman, Treasurer and Secretary but am taking applications for the last 2. I get ya man.