The HiFi thread

link1896

Mr Greenfield

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Righto...they look like coaxial drivers. Which means that the tweeter is that little driver in the middle rather than the usual dustcap over the motor. Same as you'd find in a front of house speaker or most car audio. And much the same as what I have in my shed speakers (15" P.Audio somethingorothers). Mounted up in a front ported box with a basic wired inline crossover they'll possibly turn into a very decent full range but more compact loudspeaker. You may find a design tool online that will give you the specs and dimensions you need?
Yep yep, that's pretty much the hardware I'm dealing with. Just have to wake the tweeters up, maybe freshen up the electrical components. The rotary cross over bits do still change the tone, but not massively. I'm hoping the dome head nuts will allow me to go deeper inside.

The design calls for a 127 Litre enclosure, sounds like this is a stretch for Cardy's lounge room
My rough external measurements on those enclosures is 920mm tall x 450 wide x 400 deep. I think that makes them 167 litres minus the wadding and the speakers themselves.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Yep yep, that's pretty much the hardware I'm dealing with. Just have to wake the tweeters up, maybe freshen up the electrical components. The rotary cross over bits do still change the tone, but not massively. I'm hoping the dome head nuts will allow me to go deeper inside.

My rough external measurements on those enclosures is 920mm tall x 450 wide x 400 deep. I think that makes them 167 litres minus the wadding and the speakers themselves.
You should be going with internal measurements I think.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
You should be going with internal measurements I think.
Absolutely, but at the very least they're in the ballpark. Mrs George has always been adamant that Good Ol Uncle Ian would have poured all over the details when he built them. Oh and you can't see it in the photos, but the back corners are angled, so there's a few litres less there as well.

clockworked

Like an orange
Anyone got an opinion DAB radios? I had some bush heritage ones that were fine and sounded ok, but they've clapped out and bush dont seem to be in business anymore. I'd prefer individual units to place in rooms at work. Doesn't have to be top flight quality, but i want better than bedside table level

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Need a better bluetooth receiver for my car. The stock bluetooth protocol sucks badly. Any suggestions? Have USB and aux plus cig ports so a few options. Just want clear sound, I think the original is not A2DP and hence why is sucks. Less wires better.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Everything's in the room and mostly set up so I thought I'd post some images. Overall I'm chuffed. Thanks to @link1896 for answering all my questions. I still need to make up a blackout curtain for the archway and get a bigger media unit so the AVR's not sitting on a cardboard box :p but it's in a listenable state. The couch was configured as an L so I'll need to find a third cushion or replace it too.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
maybe a nice big rug would be good too?
I probably should, I can imagine the tiles are quite reflective. It would stop the couch moving back too. It's just down the list under the curtain, cushion and blacking out the skylight. Oh, and the media unit and HTPC.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Helping a mate design some awesome speakers.

SB acoustics drivers.

SB34SWNRX-S75-6 12” subwoofer driver in a 43L sealed box box for a f3 of 40hz.

MR13P 5” Satori mid

AT60CN-4 AMT tweeter (the Heil patent has lapsed)

Xovers 250hz and 2700hz with 4th order dsp, will be able to eq the bottom end of the woofers response to flat in the room down to 25hz. There already is a subwoofer.

Bass cabinet will be 40mm thick concrete. Thinking black concrete with white quartz rocks, wet polished with a 10mm cut to expose the rocks.

Layout will look similar to Wilson Audio Watt Puppy.