Midlife cricycle project bike! Sub 10kg with pedals and a dropper? *Bike built post #61*

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
This is going to be a build thread, if that isn’t you cup of tea, I’ll update the title when the bike is complete.

Other than a couple of warranty frames and wear items, I’m still riding most of my original 2016 bike build. That bike was paid for by the insurance company after the bike I built in 2014 was stolen. There is a small crack developing at one of the mounting points on my Yeti SB100, so it looks like this frame is slowly on the way out. I have a new baby at home so I’m getting limited riding time and too much internet shopping time which is a perfect storm for a midlife cricycle. It has been a long time since I’ve had the pleasure of building a bike, so I’ve had some time to save up to pay the required COVID tax.

The riding that I do is mostly XC style Lystie/You Yangs laps, with some 50km, 100km and stage race events thrown in to keep me honest. When I get back to visit family in Hobart I take my bike home, so I occasionally have the pleasure of being terribly under biked at Maydena, but this is sadly a rare occurrence.

As I enjoy the process of building my bikes I buy frame only, and spec them exactly how I want them. This time I’m looking for a bike that will be primarily used for XC/marathon riding, but as I only have one bike, it needs to be able to occasionally ride down Thredbo or Maydena. As much as I dislike the term, the new “Downcountry” bikes suit my purpose exactly.

Frames on the list were:
  • Yeti SB 115 – I have loved every Yeti I’ve owned and the service from Rowney Sports has been exceptional, but I’ve had 7 warranty claims on cracked Yeti’s and when I mentioned this as an option my wife quoted me Einstein’s definition of insanity: “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”
  • Santa Cruz Blur TR – I was super excited when this came out, but sadly they will not be available until mid 2022 and if I’m being really picky I didn’t like the cable routing around the bottom bracket
  • Scott Spark – Vapourware, has anyone actually seen one?
  • Transition Spur – I looked very hard at this, but I’ve decided it would be a perfect bike for 10% of the riding that I do and would be too much bike for the majority of what I ride
  • Canyon Lux Trail – Great pricing for a complete bike but not available, they also have stupidly large sizing, I’m 178cm and to get the reach that I would want I would have to buy a small (!?!?)
  • Unno Horn – These look spectacular in real life, but sadly the first batch all cracked around the bottom bracket/lower linkage so they have been discontinued for a redesign
  • S-Works Epic Evo – Basically exactly what I’m looking for, but Specialized can f#%k off with their pricing ($7600 frame only)
So with all the frame only options not suitable I pretty much gave up. I was then reinspired by ozzybmx buying a Transition Spur complete bike and changing the parts as required. So I’ve bought a complete bike for $6900, basically just for the frame. I do need to clarify something:
  • I hate Specialized, particularly the pricing of their higher end models
  • As a man of science, when presented with information contrary to my opinions I aim to try to objectively evaluate it
  • I couldn’t ignore the reviews for the Epic Evo, it looks like exactly what I am looking for
The Epic Evo (non-S-works) is about 80-100g heavier than the S-works version, but otherwise exactly the same. It is slightly longer in reach than my SB100, but keeps the effective top tube length similar for my back issues. I like the threaded BB, integrated headset, cable routing, lifetime warranty and price. Given my dislike for Specialized I don’t want their enormous logos so I have bought the raw carbon version, with subtle “oak green” paint. I’m still toying with the idea of going full “Dangerholm” and removing the logos. Although this would void the warranty and as a source of ongoing wisdom, wifey pointed out that this would be silly as my last 7 frames have cracked.

Without further waffle, here is the donor frame!

Nice alloy linkage, the S-Works one is carbon

Tidy cable routing with a piano accordian between the front and rear triangles

Nice details on the bolts

From what I can see, the internal carbon finish is pretty tidy

Subtle oak green

Cool carbon marble look in the sun

The paint has some sparkle and changes in the light

More raw carbon marble

Very tidy starting weight of 1904g, that is already 700g less than my SB100

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
This is going to be a build thread, if that isn’t you cup of tea, I’ll update the title when the bike is complete.

Other than a couple of warranty frames and wear items, I’m still riding most of my original 2016 bike build. That bike was paid for by the insurance company after the bike I built in 2014 was stolen. There is a small crack developing at one of the mounting points on my Yeti SB100, so it looks like this frame is slowly on the way out. I have a new baby at home so I’m getting limited riding time and too much internet shopping time which is a perfect storm for a midlife cricycle. It has been a long time since I’ve had the pleasure of building a bike, so I’ve had some time to save up to pay the required COVID tax.

The riding that I do is mostly XC style Lystie/You Yangs laps, with some 50km, 100km and stage race events thrown in to keep me honest. When I get back to visit family in Hobart I take my bike home, so I occasionally have the pleasure of being terribly under biked at Maydena, but this is sadly a rare occurrence.

As I enjoy the process of building my bikes I buy frame only, and spec them exactly how I want them. This time I’m looking for a bike that will be primarily used for XC/marathon riding, but as I only have one bike, it needs to be able to occasionally ride down Thredbo or Maydena. As much as I dislike the term, the new “Downcountry” bikes suit my purpose exactly.

Frames on the list were:
  • Yeti SB 115 – I have loved every Yeti I’ve owned and the service from Rowney Sports has been exceptional, but I’ve had 7 warranty claims on cracked Yeti’s and when I mentioned this as an option my wife quoted me Einstein’s definition of insanity: “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”
  • Santa Cruz Blur TR – I was super excited when this came out, but sadly they will not be available until mid 2022 and if I’m being really picky I didn’t like the cable routing around the bottom bracket
  • Scott Spark – Vapourware, has anyone actually seen one?
  • Transition Spur – I looked very hard at this, but I’ve decided it would be a perfect bike for 10% of the riding that I do and would be too much bike for the majority of what I ride
  • Canyon Lux Trail – Great pricing for a complete bike but not available, they also have stupidly large sizing, I’m 178cm and to get the reach that I would want I would have to buy a small (!?!?)
  • Unno Horn – These look spectacular in real life, but sadly the first batch all cracked around the bottom bracket/lower linkage so they have been discontinued for a redesign
  • S-Works Epic Evo – Basically exactly what I’m looking for, but Specialized can f#%k off with their pricing ($7600 frame only)
So with all the frame only options not suitable I pretty much gave up. I was then reinspired by ozzybmx buying a Transition Spur complete bike and changing the parts as required. So I’ve bought a complete bike for $6900, basically just for the frame. I do need to clarify something:
  • I hate Specialized, particularly the pricing of their higher end models
  • As a man of science, when presented with information contrary to my opinions I aim to try to objectively evaluate it
  • I couldn’t ignore the reviews for the Epic Evo, it looks like exactly what I am looking for
The Epic Evo (non-S-works) is about 80-100g heavier than the S-works version, but otherwise exactly the same. It is slightly longer in reach than my SB100, but keeps the effective top tube length similar for my back issues. I like the threaded BB, integrated headset, cable routing, lifetime warranty and price. Given my dislike for Specialized I don’t want their enormous logos so I have bought the raw carbon version, with subtle “oak green” paint. I’m still toying with the idea of going full “Dangerholm” and removing the logos. Although this would void the warranty and as a source of ongoing wisdom, wifey pointed out that this would be silly as my last 7 frames have cracked.

Without further waffle, here is the donor frame!

View attachment 382867

Nice alloy linkage, the S-Works one is carbon

View attachment 382868

Tidy cable routing with a piano accordian between the front and rear triangles

View attachment 382869

Nice details on the bolts

View attachment 382870

From what I can see, the internal carbon finish is pretty tidy

View attachment 382871

Subtle oak green

View attachment 382872

Cool carbon marble look in the sun

View attachment 382873

The paint has some sparkle and changes in the light

View attachment 382874

More raw carbon marble

View attachment 382875

Very tidy starting weight of 1904g, that is already 700g less than my SB100

View attachment 382876
That was the frameset I was originally drooling over, but like you say many $$$$. Probably slightly better geo for your intended use(s) than what I went with too.

And lol, @ozzybmx strikes again!

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Nice. Have you got all the parts your going to use or will this come together slowly over time?

Ackland

chats d'élevage
You forget that going full Dangerholm (pfft he's by no means the first to do this.. just has socials) will save at least 100g

Ackland

chats d'élevage
You forget that going full Dangerholm (pfft he's by no means the first to do this.. just has socials) will save at least 100g
Actually.. scratch that... Looks like they've gone for a very thin clear coat already

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Excellent. I think sub 10kg with that frame weight should be easily achievable. I wasn't able to get my Trance sub 10kg (ended up 10.6kg) but the Trance frame weighed almost 2600g and I kept the 130mm Fox 34 (I didn't want to go down to an XC style 120mm fork like a SID 35mm or Fox 34 stepcast). I have had it as light as 10.3kg, particularly with a 1200g wheelset I built but the rear rim lasted one run down Stromlo so I've gone back to using a Stans Crest on the rear (which needs yearly replacement).

With a SID 35mm or Fox 34 stepcast, lightweight dropper and some XC tyres sub 9.5kg should be easily doable with a 2kg frame.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Is the sb100 still covered under warranty? What are you going to do with it?
Also, I understand the specialized hate. But they do make fantastic frames.

k3n!f

Nice one ! Sub 10 sounds expensive :)
Yeah, I deserve it! Hoping to cover some of the costs by selling the parts off the new bike. It is starting ~700g less than Spur/SB100 frames so I've got a pretty big head start!

You're dead to me.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Yeah, I feel pretty dirty :oops:

That was the frameset I was originally drooling over, but like you say many $$$$. Probably slightly better geo for your intended use(s) than what I went with too.
The price for the S-Works one is obscene. They are $3900USD overseas which should be $5300AUD, so someone is making a shit load of money importing them.

Nice. Have you got all the parts your going to use or will this come together slowly over time?
Everything is ordered, but sadly the delivery times for some things are pretty vague so I'm not sure when it'll be done.

Actually.. scratch that... Looks like they've gone for a very thin clear coat already
I've been wondering if some superlight sanding might be enough to remove the thin clear coat and paint. Although voiding the lifetime warranty does seem pretty stupid.

Excellent. I think sub 10kg with that frame weight should be easily achievable. I wasn't able to get my Trance sub 10kg (ended up 10.6kg) but the Trance frame weighed almost 2600g and I kept the 130mm Fox 34 (I didn't want to go down to an XC style 120mm fork like a SID 35mm or Fox 34 stepcast). I have had it as light as 10.3kg, particularly with a 1200g wheelset I built but the rear rim lasted one run down Stromlo so I've gone back to using a Stans Crest on the rear (which needs yearly replacement).

With a SID 35mm or Fox 34 stepcast, lightweight dropper and some XC tyres sub 9.5kg should be easily doable with a 2kg frame.
My SB100 which has a frame weight of 2600g is 10.3kg, although it doesn't have a dropper. I think I'll get pretty close to 9.5kg but given I'll probably ride it 20,000km I'm trying a fairly durable build. There are a couple of Euro exotic parts in the post :)

Is the sb100 still covered under warranty? What are you going to do with it?
Also, I understand the specialized hate. But they do make fantastic frames.
The SB100 should still be under warranty. I'll keep riding it and then eventually claim a warranty. If I get a new frame again I'll probably sell it, although I might keep it in case the Specialized guilt is overwhelming...

You are a man of science, but you are swayed by the "size" sticker a bike company puts on the bike, rather than the dimensions of the actual frame?
Great question. I bought this frame based on the measurements in comparison with my current comfortable bike. Most bike companies recommend a size large for my height, but I broke some vertebrae a few years ago and I get a sore back if I'm too stretched out. I'm on the border between M/L with the Epic Evo in terms of the recommendations, so I've deliberately bought the M which is closer to my current SB100 in terms of effective top tube and reach. Unfortunately, I have rather long legs for my height, so on the SB100 I have about 29cm of seat post showing. In smaller bikes like the size small Canyon Luxe Trail the seat tube ends up being too short for some droppers with the minimum insertion to get the seat height I need, despite the frame having longer reach than the M Epic EVO.

I was being flippant about my thoughts on the Canyon. Other than their sizing, I'm not a fan of their 2 year/6 year confusing warranty, the knock block, the head angle as I wanted to try something slacker, and the fact their models have sold out. Otherwise they look like amazing value and I really wish I could have taken one for a test ride.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
you'll b very happy, a mate has the epic evo [got a very early large when only a handful in country] - he's a spec fanboi after working for them for a few years -he has had everything in their lineup [bar anything from 150mm up] -hates the old brain but reckons epic evo is the best bike they have ever made -he said its just as quick as sworks epic he had, but much better on the descents - he did three full lake Mtn descents on it -he's hoping if the shuttles run tighter he'll aim for four in 1 day

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Wise choice to stay away from the sworks, the carbon layup is lighter and not as durable, their design brief is to be as light as possible, sacrificing longevity.

Some of the dealers will say off the record, the swork price is because you are buying 3 frames, you just don’t realise that at the start

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
How long were you getting out of the yeti? Rowney seemed to hold up the warranty really well so technically aren’t you getting a new frame every time? You’ve unlocked the yeti cheat code.

k3n!f

How long were you getting out of the yeti? Rowney seemed to hold up the warranty really well so technically aren’t you getting a new frame every time? You’ve unlocked the yeti cheat code.
About 5000km each, although the ASR managed 8000km. I'll still have the Yeti frame, so if I can't handle riding the Specialized I can always change back. Their warranty service has been exceptional, but after 7 frames I've finally decided they have issues with their carbon layup....

Some of the parts are trickling in, the most impressive of which is the XTR crankset which is a work of art in person. I've gone against my usual weight weenie tendencies and gone back to aluminium cranks, partly because of pedal insert loosening issues with carbon cranks, but mostly to get back to a 24mm spindle. I was going through 30mm bottom brackets every 4 months or so which was getting annoying.

To change things up I'm trying 170mm crank arms and the narrower 162mm Q factor. I've also gone for a 30t chainring which should increase the antisquat slightly and pair with an 11-45 cassette with a similar range to my current 34t/11-48 combo. Interestingly, I bought these on ebay as there were none available in this combination in Australia and the overseas seller has ground off the serial number. I presume this is because of geoblock issues, very much hoping they are not stolen :oops:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
the overseas seller has ground off the serial number. I presume this is because of geoblock issues, very much hoping they are not stolen :oops:
Did they disclose they had ground the serial off ?

I went Next SL's to shed weight, had a set of G1's before and never had an issue. The new ones were G5's... hoping they have all issues sorted by now.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I went Next SL's to shed weight...
Noooooo. Get Cannondale Hollowgrams. They are pretty much the only thing ever made by Cannondale that is awesome. After wearing out several sets of carbon cranks I went with Hollowgrams and they have been great. The Hollowgram SISLs will be lighter than the Next SLs and the SISL2s are lighter again. Only downside is the 30mm spindle but I have had good longevity from Rotor BBs. Everything is modular so you can mix and match axles, crank arms and chainrings. So many options to perfectly tune your driveline. Highly recommended.