Carbonda FM936 carbon all-rounder

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting & valid comment on the vital page - curious design choice having bearings on lower trunnion pivot that doesn't rotate much at all, and bushing (presumably) on the upper eyelet that experiences the most movement.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Interesting & valid comment on the vital page - curious design choice having bearings on lower trunnion pivot that doesn't rotate much at all, and bushing (presumably) on the upper eyelet that experiences the most movement.
'Tis interesting indeed. I fitted a RWC needle roller bearing in the eyelet end of the shock to minimise friction between the rocker and shock eyelet (seems to work well), and the shock does rock back and forth (relative to the trunnion bearings) a bit throughout the stroke so bearings wouldn't be totally wasted in that spot (hopefully there's enough movement to prevent brinelling long-term). To my mind, it also keeps the heavy end of the shock on the 'sprung' side, rather than making it part of the 'unsprung' mass (probably not noticeable, but in theory).

Pros and cons either way I guess, but regardless - it rides well. :)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
'Tis interesting indeed. I fitted a RWC needle roller bearing in the eyelet end of the shock to minimise friction between the rocker and shock eyelet (seems to work well), and the shock does rock back and forth (relative to the trunnion bearings) a bit throughout the stroke so bearings wouldn't be totally wasted in that spot
I have one also and they do work well. They really help for small bump sensitivity IMHO.

I have the TF Tuned heavy duty mount kit on Big Blue. It works equally as well and you don't need to mess with needle bearings. There isn't room for dirt and goop to enter it on that that bike. The downside is that the rear axle thingy needed to be removed when servicing the rear shock.
https://www.tftuned.com/tech-help/71-mount-kits-and-bushings-for-rear-shocks-a-guide

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Yeah, looks like it's driven by space considerations. Trunnion shock is shorter for the vertical mounting, and orienting it "upside down" means more waterbottle clearance as the piggyback doesn't move forward as much during the shock stroke.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That’s their more Enduro-focused offering from memory. Looks good though!

Second ride on mine tonight, still very happy. Probably get another ride or two in and then write up some ride impressions, but so far so good.
I have been looking at a few different frames and your write up has me looking closely at this manufacturer. They have a more trail oriented model, FM 1001. They, Carbonda, have been very responsive as well.

beeb

Nice ride review @beeb, thorough and informative as usual.

I can attest to its climbing ability, you don't even look like you are working hard when climbing...
Haha, I’m still working pretty hard - it’s just getting translated to the trail a little more efficiently, so I spend less time dipping into that “extreme stress” point. I also just had one of those days where the legs were firing on all cylinders. Next ride I might be back to my usual self. :p

Also, like we briefly discussed post-ride, the reduction in tyre mass makes a big difference when going uphill. The flip side being of course that I’m right on the limit of the support these tyres give on the way back down - the rear in particular rolls and folds over when pushed hard through berms, and the rear rim certainly clangs a bit louder when it bottoms out on rocks. It’s probably only a matter of time until I put a couple of snakebites in it and concede to running a tyre with a stouter carcass. Probably a fair testament to how hard this Ike can be pushed on descents though - that Maxxis EXO casings with a bunch of air in them still squirm and roll around on the rims a substantial amount. :D

Mattyp

Cows go boing
beeb said:
Probably a fair testament to how hard this Ike can be pushed on descents though - that Maxxis EXO casings with a bunch of air in them still squirm and roll around on the rims a substantial amount. :D
How much is a Bunch of air? I only run exo casings, even on the big bike. But dare say my bunch of air may be different to your bunch of air.

beeb

How much is a Bunch of air? I only run exo casings, even on the big bike. But dare say my bunch of air may be different to your bunch of air.
Erm... enough that you really have to give a good push with the thumb to deform the carcass? Yes, that many. (I'm guessing in the 35psi range, definitely not mid/low 20's.) If I go any higher it'll goes into the "really pinging off things" pressures.

I mean I'm already having to use a shock pump again, now you want me to use another gauge? Rude... :p

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Erm... enough that you really have to give a good push with the thumb to deform the carcass? Yes, that many. (I'm guessing in the 35psi range, definitely not mid/low 20's.) If I go any higher it'll goes into the "really pinging off things" pressures.

I mean I'm already having to use a shock pump again, now you want me to use another gauge? Rude... :p
Just realised your PhD only covers geometry and angles...
Yes I want you to use a gauge, everytime you ride your bike.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland

My rear tyre pressure is more of a 2 thumb firm push deformation.

Front is a 2 thumb "just off of firm" push...