BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Just had one of these racks delivered(sorry, sideways pic). While most of the time I just throw the bike in the back of the ute, the boys are at an age where they are now keen to explore a bit more on their bikes. This rack was at a price point and gets good reviews. Have been researching racks for a while and managed to get one of these for $430 delivered in the black friday sales.

moorey

call me Mia
View attachment 383600
Just had one of these racks delivered(sorry, sideways pic). While most of the time I just throw the bike in the back of the ute, the boys are at an age where they are now keen to explore a bit more on their bikes. This rack was at a price point and gets good reviews. Have been researching racks for a while and managed to get one of these for $430 delivered in the black friday sales.

Do you call the big one ‘bitey’?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I am after another crank holder simple metal tray bike rack that holds 2 bikes side by side horizontally.
25 years ago I made one it has been used 1000s of times , I did see a commercial version .
For some reason crank holders have gone out of fashion , we dont mind scratched cranks .
I like them cos they are so simple .
We have about 4 other bike racks but have a new car so need another rack to routinely carry 2 bikes simply.
The only other simple one that appeals is this above , i would modify it to take a 40 or 50 mm receiver.
Anyone have that type.?

MattTunstall

Cannon Fodder
I'm the aforementioned mate.

A look at the hitch showed that some of the welds were only on one side and pretty poor quality to boot. No damage to bikes or rack thankfully.
The installer agrees and it's with the manufacturer for a warranty claim

Not a great weekend for him as he also binned fairly hard on his first run down Hero trail with a full day of shuttles booked.
On the plus side, I got to order some more gear and drink a lot of beer - so not a total loss.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I would say that the Deathracks laser cut kit is probably closest to Meccano level: Adult
I am about 4 hours in and still going, had about 2'5 hours on the linisher and grinder to smooth off all the rough cut edges, and only got about 1'5 hours on the welder on monday morning, have only got the hoops and support struts all welded up so far.. still have to attach the hoops to the main beam across the top, weld the two lower beams to the upright, weld on the tiedown points and gussets, weld on the hitch and lower gusset..:rolleyes:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I would say that the Deathracks laser cut kit is probably closest to Meccano level: Adult
I am about 4 hours in and still going, had about 2'5 hours on the linisher and grinder to smooth off all the rough cut edges, and only got about 1'5 hours on the welder on monday morning, have only got the hoops and support struts all welded up so far.. still have to attach the hoops to the main beam across the top, weld the two lower beams to the upright, weld on the tiedown points and gussets, weld on the hitch and lower gusset..:rolleyes:
Looking forward to seeing this

Might have been tempted to go down this route too if I hadn't got the single trail before your guy surfaced. Definitely would have done that if I still had a ute and could attach the hoops and grooves directly to the tray

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Jpez

Down on the left!

Might have been tempted to go down this route too if I hadn't got the single trail before your guy surfaced. Definitely would have done that if I still had a ute and could attach the hoops and grooves directly to the tray

I’ve been threatening to make my own mini rack for ages but am now just going to get a set of these to make a quick mini bolt on rack for my existing ute ladder rack. Seems like a good option and well priced with the DIY aspect.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I’ve been threatening to make my own mini rack for ages but am now just going to get a set of these to make a quick mini bolt on rack for my existing ute ladder rack. Seems like a good option and well priced with the DIY aspect.
Aaaand now I'm looking forward to seeing this too

Don't make me regret getting rid of the ute for a van

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

I hear LabC is a better welder.