BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Ha Ha
Just had an offer from my mate felixdust0@gmail.com who has been banned .
He was offering to send me a bike rack from Indiana USA for $100 including delivery , I just had to send money to Paypal.
It was too generous of him and I had to kindly refuse.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
I would say that the Deathracks laser cut kit is probably closest to Meccano level: Adult
I am about 4 hours in and still going, had about 2'5 hours on the linisher and grinder to smooth off all the rough cut edges, and only got about 1'5 hours on the welder on monday morning, have only got the hoops and support struts all welded up so far.. still have to attach the hoops to the main beam across the top, weld the two lower beams to the upright, weld on the tiedown points and gussets, weld on the hitch and lower gusset..:rolleyes:
This post is from Thursday, you must be finished by now .. pics stat

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
getting nowhere finding a bike rack .
Anyone know of any other brands that use the crank holder method , Goggle is no help ?

bobob

Has $20
Seems like police are looking into the 60% of the wheelbase (this 60% is added on from the rear axle) overhang rule.

From an Adelaide MTB FB group...

"Hey everyone,
Some mates and I were out doing shuttles at fox today when we had an encounter with a friendly cop who followed us into the drop-off car park. He was satisfied with the number plate and lights on the bike rack however, pulled out a measuring tape to measure the over hang, having stated it was something he was curious about and never checked before. Well it turns out that our rack was hanging a good 60-70cm over the legal overhang limit and may have just been legal with out bikes loaded on it. Today he let me off with a warning but if I were to be caught driving with the rack again it would be a $350 fine. I have attached a picture of the rule as well my set up for reference.
Upon consideration of this rule(which I believe is present in other states at least VIC and NSW), my friends and I realised that almost all vertical racks and possibly some horizontal racks would be illegal when loaded with bikes. Given this is one of the most common ways of multiple bike transport, and Australian companies and shops produce and sell these racks, it is ridiculously that the fine for being caught actually using them is $350."

moorey

call me Mia
Police should concentrate on criminals and fark off and leave us alone .
Criminals are hard, and scary….
I’m sure there’s some discretion though. I do see vehicles completely inappropriate for big racks and multiple bikes hanging off the back.
The market for Defender 130’s just went through the roof.